What's new

Thin blue smoke thread- BBQ Summer 2009

Apologies all. I basically followed Jim's suggestions/recipe (just scaled down to 4lbs) and it turned out pretty good. This was my first Brisket on the smoker so I don't feel bad at all about the outcome. The taste was absolutely fantastic but it was slightly more done than I prefer. My wife said it was perfect, but she eats most red meat Med Well to Well.

Anyway, it was cooked evenly through, looked great and tasted even better. That said, what can I do next time to yield an even more tender brisket?

Congratulations! Did you get a good smoke ring on the outside?

Cooking over low heat for a long period of time will give tender meat. Cook at 225-250 degrees until internal temp hits 185 degrees. A 4 lb. brisket will take roughly 8 hours at those temps.

Brisket is a pretty tough cut of meat for starters. Not much you can do to make it tender other than to cook it low and slow.

I once cooked a 14 lb. brisket for 36 hours. I was a a babbling fool when it was done, but it was worth it.

I can't stress it enough, low and slow, low and slow...

I have a 14.8 lb brisket on right now-

0945- 200 degrees with black cherry and white oak.

1245- added more white oak- upped the temps to 325.

1700- pulled Brisket off, temps range from 195-205 internal probe goes in like butter.

Resting-

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Burgers tonight. Too sick to take pix. They were 2/3 chuck, 1/3 short rib ground to order, charred to perfection, and served with thick wedges of Maytag blue cheese and tomatoes from the garden.

Burgers tonight. Too sick to take pix. They were 2/3 chuck, 1/3 short rib ground to order, charred to perfection, and served with thick wedges of Maytag blue cheese and tomatoes from the garden.

Feel better Scotto.

That's it Jim,

I'm calling your bluff about the open door policy :cool:

Next time you decide to cook a huge brisket, give me a weeks notice so i can get out there, and i'll help you eat it , :w00t:

Just dyin' to know how the brisket turned out. That yardbird looked pretty good, too.

Indeed the chicken turned out fantastic! It was moist, juicy and tender. The flavor was fantastic!

If you want to BBQ it it will be beyond well done. Regular grilling well done would be 165 degrees internal- BBQ you bring it to 190 or 200 -use the probe test to tell when to take it off the smoker, not time or temps.

Thanks Jim

That's it Jim,

I'm calling your bluff about the open door policy :cool:

Next time you decide to cook a huge brisket, give me a weeks notice so i can get out there, and i'll help you eat it , :w00t:

+1 Mmmmmmm :drool:

Grilled chicken breasts, corn and other fixings tonight.

full

Beverage of choice: Shiner Bock beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm suffering from smoker envy today. Extremely heavy thunderstorms have kept me from getting the fire going so my brisket will stay in the fridge until tomorrow. Tonight the humble egg gets the nod: cheese souffle and salad, maybe a bottle of wine.

I have a mammoth slab of ribs and a butt (that's pork, Jay) rubbed down and chilling until tomorrow. I hope the rain stays away....

Nothing smells better than meat cooking over an open fire. My wife loves it when I cook with our smoker. Smoked a 10lb brisket last night and today. I tried something a little different with this one.

First I marinaded the brisket in G Sauce from Go Chicken Go. Anyone in the KC area that is some of the best fried chicken you will ever eat. The G Sauce is for dipping gizzards and livers. Anyway I marinaded my brisket for two days, then put the Cinnamon Chipotle rub from McCormicks on and let the brisket dry marinade all day until I put the brisket in the smoker at 4pm. Low and slow 205F until 10am. wrapped it and let it set in a cooler for awhile. Took it out and started slicing. Love every brisket I cook,this one had a little bit of heat to the meat.

Wife loves to come up to me and sniff when I am cooking outside. Is there anyway to bottle this smell?:001_tt1:

Last week was my first tme smoking Wild Turkey Breasts.

My brother and I shot 4 wild turkeys this spring season and he gave me his to keep. I brined all the breasts for three days and then dusted them with Tex Joy before I put them over the fire.

The turkies came out way better than I expected. One breast did get a little dry. Served them up with fried potatos and corn on the cob. It is pretty neat cooking something you hunted for. I have a few more recipes for duck and geese I will try out after the next hunting season.

Sweet!
Moo/oink?

Just foiled a mammoth rack of spares (I am doing the 3-2-1 method), and the butt is hovering at 165 degrees. I just added in our appetizers to get going - a stick of pepperoni and bacon-wrapped, stuffed jalapenos (half with cream cheese, half with Maytag blue cheese). Margaritas and apps at 5PM, followed by dinner.

Man am I hungry.

Top Bottom