What's new

Thin blue smoke thread- BBQ Summer 2009

Bamboo charcoal is valued for putting out little smoke, so it is used indoors a lot. Not very good smoking meats.

Rob congratulations!
What do you burn in it? I know bamboo charcoal is available in Japan and a very good heat source.

I have used bamboo charcoal but not for smoking, just for cooking. It does burn very warm and cooks well. Nice, hot and even heat.

I really like to use large mesquite chunks.

Bamboo charcoal is valued for putting out little smoke, so it is used indoors a lot. Not very good smoking meats.

Very true, I don't think it would do much for smoking but is good to cook over.

Fajitas tonight. Big honkin' flank steak on the Weber, plus veg. I also roasted up some Anaheim and Jalapeno chilis from my garden and made a wicked green chili sauce to go with it, which is what you see at the edge of the right side of the picture.

Fajitas tonight. Big honkin' flank steak on the Weber, plus veg. I also roasted up some Anaheim and Jalapeno chilis from my garden and made a wicked green chili sauce to go with it, which is what you see at the edge of the right side of the picture.

Looks perfectly cooked! :drool:

I just picked up a side fire box for my Char Griller and I'm going to put it on tonight. I've been grilling for years, but never ventured into smoking. I'm pretty excited to give it a go. Any advice for a novice?

I just picked up a side fire box for my Char Griller and I'm going to put it on tonight. I've been grilling for years, but never ventured into smoking. I'm pretty excited to give it a go. Any advice for a novice?

Whats cookin?

My kids are clamoring for brisket.

Oh brother- starting with an easy one.:lol:

You may want to do some dry runs to get a feel for the temps and what settings you may have to adjust with the new unit added. Do you have a thermometer to check temps at the grate level? What are your fuel choices?
There are as many ways to cook a brisket as there are steers in Texas
Have you cooked them before?

I can't beleive I haven't looked at this thread until now. That is some good lookin' grub there, boys! :thumbup1: Hmm, I seem to be hungry for some reason.

I grilled a couple of strip steaks and some boneless chicken breasts tonight. Susan added backed potatoes and a really nice salad.

I enjoyed a really nice Rum (Flor de Cana) and coke while cooking.

All in all, a darn nice evening!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh brother- starting with an easy one.:lol:

You may want to do some dry runs to get a feel for the temps and what settings you may have to adjust with the new unit added. Do you have a thermometer to check temps at the grate level? What are your fuel choices?
There are as many ways to cook a brisket as there are steers in Texas
Have you cooked them before?

I'm going to pick up a new thermometer tomorrow. Apart from charcoals, it's easy to get apple, mesquite and hickory wood here. I've cooked brisket before in an improvised water smoker in my old Weber, but that's been some time ago. Since I've been living in NC, it's been pork, pork, pork. However, I've never cooked anything with a side fire box. It's all mounted and I'm eager to test it out.

I'm going to pick up a new thermometer tomorrow. Apart from charcoals, it's easy to get apple, mesquite and hickory wood here. I've cooked brisket before in an improvised water smoker in my old Weber, but that's been some time ago. Since I've been living in NC, it's been pork, pork, pork. However, I've never cooked anything with a side fire box. It's all mounted and I'm eager to test it out.

I like Hickory for my brisket, I think your biggest challenge will be making friends with your new gear, getting and holding a temp, getting clean smoke, and making sure you don't have hot spots. These are all going to be factors in success. You may need to make a heat deflector and or use a water pan. A dry run without meat will be time well spent. The biscuit test is also valuable, place uncooked biscuits around the chamber to see where your hot spots are ect. Good luck.

Didn't get to the grocery store today due to garden chores taking all day. Had to improvise a bit. I found some chicken thighs in the freezer. Brined them, grilled them on the Weber, and glazed them with a mixture of peach preserves, hoisin sauce, and dijon. I went to the garden and found some nice cukes and marinated them in balsamic. Then I found some Chiogga beets and roasted them, then tossed them with some nice olive oil, salt and pepper. Served with rice, this was a nice meal with no extra costs.

Top Bottom