What's new

The WhollyKaw Soap Thread

@BaylorGator is doing a pretty extensive review of soaps here: Review of 30+ Soaps

Following that thead, I got turned onto a manufacturer called WhollyKaw. I'd never heard of them before. Worse still, there's not much that comes up when you use the search function here (when I do it anyway lol). So I just went ahead and bought a sample set off of their site.

From everything I have seen/read so far though, I understand the scents are strong. I like that. Moreover, there also seems to be some consensus that their tallow soaps are better than their vegan soaps... but who knows? The list of ingredients are remarkable. Donkey milk, mango butter, Dragon's blood lol...

I'd love to know your thoughts on the brand.

Here's what I'm getting in my tallow sample set (they say each sample should give you 7 - 10 shaves):

1. Fougere Bouquet - This is an aromatic fougere enhanced with sparkling citrus notes, nuances of geranium, lavender, and mint. Supported by sensual patchouli, tonka beans and coumarin

2. Jamestown Gentleman - A masculine scent with the fresh and clean notes of bergamot, lavender and neroli, light florals, sweet powdery notes, musk, amber, precious wood and tobacco flower notes.

3. King of Oud - Top Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Clary Sage, Rose, Aldehydes and Pink Pepper Middle notes: Angelica, Rosewood, Galbanum Base notes: Agarwood or Oud, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Patchouli and Amber

4. Man from Mayfair - Bergamot, Basil, Lavender, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Oakmoss and a blend of musk over a background of soft, powdery notes. Bergaptene free Bergamot is used in the scent blend.

5. Monaco Royale - Top notes: Lavender, Bergamot, Neroli, Petitgrain Middle notes: Oakmoss, Cedarwood, Tonka Bean, Ambergris* Base notes: Guaiacwood, Agarwood, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Labdanum and Musk

6. Project Leather - The scent blend is made with refined notes of Leather Suede blended with Cardamom, sensuous Vanilla and Tobacco notes. Oud and Bourbon are added for substantivity.

I'm looking forward to trying each and every one of em.

I have the Monaco Royal tallow soap and AS splash, and I can’t say enough good things about WK.

The scent is basically a fougere, and the performance of the soap is outstanding. The splash has a little menthol, which gives a really nice chill.

As for scent strength, I would say high side of average.

Wholly Kaw, to me, is at the very top of soapmakers right now, along with Barrister & Mann and Grooming Department.

Those 3 are about all I use anymore.

I think you will find a lot of Wholly Kaw enthusiasts here, and the praise is well deserved. Fantastic soaps! Just pick your scents and you can’t go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If these soaps really are all that you guys say they are, and I hope they are, allow me to tell a bit of cautionary tail to the noobs.

About 4 or 5 years ago, I went hog wild buying creams and soaps! I literally haven't thought cream/soap in years as I used up all my stock from that binge! So now that I'm back looking to stock up again... note that 4 or 5 years ago, I never heard of WK! And, save one, I have no desire to replace a single thing from my last binge lol.

That's all to say, don't go too deep with your creams and soaps - your tastes will change, and you'll find better stuff!

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Washington's Blend is the only one I have, but it does not leave rotation!

Love the smell, and I think of it as "the ATG soap," for its protection while stunt-shaving, i.e., taking a mean razor against the grain.

AA

I have King of Oud, Monaco Royale, Fougère Bouquet, and Lav Sublime Concerto. My favourite is King of Oud but I enjoy them all. The scent strength is around a 6/10 to my nose. Great performance too. Top Tier stuff.

I actually used King of Oud this morning.

B23BDF4A-9AF2-42EF-BAEF-E286B72D825C.jpeg

The splashes are nice but their balms are superb.

Cheers.

I agree with all the above. I currently have King of Oud (DM), Man From Mayfair (DM), Project Leather (DM) and Fougere Bouquet. All are in in my regular rotation. I understand that they plan to convert all formulas to include Donkey Milk. It seems to me that WK is not just making another shaving soap, but they seem to be actually concerned with proper skin care. Scents can be "complex", but very enjoyable imo. I think its also important to mention that the customer service they provide, from the ordering process to delivery to answering questions by email, also exceeds my expectations. I agree with Odenihy. I only need one, maybe two other artisan's and I'm a happy guy! Enjoy

If these soaps really are all that you guys say they are, and I hope they are, allow me to tell a bit of cautionary tail to the noobs.

About 4 or 5 years ago, I went hog wild buying creams and soaps! I literally haven't thought cream/soap in years as I used up all my stock from that binge! So now that I'm back looking to stock up again... note that 4 or 5 years ago, I never heard of WK! And, save one, I have no desire to replace a single thing from my last binge lol.

That's all to say, don't go too deep with your creams and soaps - your tastes will change, and you'll find better stuff!
As a noob, and one who has acquired over a dozen soaps, I agree. And I'm also learning from @Retiredgene who is experienced and has a lot of stuff.

I have quite a few WK soaps in the den: Chype Rose Concerto, Lav Sublime Concerto, Fougere Bouquet, Fern Concerto, Merchant Of Tobacco, Man From Mayfair, Project Leather, King Of Oud. Samples: Twice as Spice, Vetililac.

Both performamce and scent of WK soaps are top notch. Some of the scents are not for me but that's like almost any artisan. Favorite scents are: Chypre Rose Concerto, Project Leather, and King Of Oud. WK has really come a long way with their scents, and it's been fun to watch them evolve as time goes by.

Excellent artisan highly recommended. Can compete with the best on the market which is saying a lot.

Last edited:
I have quite a few WK soaps in the den: Chype Rose Concerto, Lav Sublime Concerto, Fougere Bouquet, Fern Concerto, Man From Mayfair, Project Leather, King Of Oud. Samples: Twice as Spice, Vetililac.

Both performamce and scent of WK soaps are top notch. Some of the scents are not for me but that's like almost any artisan. Favorite scents are: Chypre Rose Concerto, Project Leather, and King Of Oud. WK has really come a long way with their scents, and it's been fun to watch them evolve as time goes by.

Excellent artisan highly recommended. Can compete with the best on the market which is saying a lot.
Nice. How long have they been around?

Nice. How long have they been around?

I'm not sure exactly but would guess a couple years. When they first started they had a basic vegan formula which was a decent soap, but the tallow, and Donkey Milk formula really brought them into the "lime light" so to speak.

Their scents at first were sort of basic with Fougere Bouquet being the most complex. Now their scents have evolved as well as their formula. Grooming Dept is another one that came a long way as far as scent is concerned, and both could be considered 2 of the best soaps on the market.

There's many threads covering WK, much love. I got a sample of the Valentine's release, Fougere Parfaite, if you like Brut you will drool over this.

There's many threads covering WK, much love. I got a sample of the Valentine's release, Fougere Parfaite, if you like Brut you will drool over this.

Oh, man... I've been looking for a good Brut clone for a long time--and I happen to be on the 2018 Sabbatical. Do you know if he plans to make it part of his permanent collection?

Oh, man... I've been looking for a good Brut clone for a long time--and I happen to be on the 2018 Sabbatical. Do you know if he plans to make it part of his permanent collection?

As far as I am aware it's not a Brut clone, Sri like to make his own scents. That being said - to me - it smells alot like Brut, also a fougere. The difference imo is the 'sparkling citrus' he describes. To my nose it has similar DNA but just a bit different.

I asked if it was a 1 shot release or regular offering, I was told it's a 1 shot release. If feedback is good enough possibly a regular offering. My vote based on the sample was two huge thumbs up for regular offering, my full order went in this morning

I have the Chypre Rose Concerto and Bare Naked (Unscented) in donkey milk. Both are wonderful performers. I also have the Fern Concerto in Tallow. Again, it's great. The Fern Concerto has a very mild scent. Some of the other scents were too much for me . Too cologne-like. But that's just me. I'm looking forward to the March single scent donkey milk release.

Thank you. I haven't been near a bottle of Brut in quite a few years. So along comes Fougere Parfaite. I must have sniffed that soap a dozen times in the last two days. It was driving me crazy knowing I'd smelled something similar before but unable to place it.

In donkey milk formula, I have fern concerto, chypre rose concerto, fougere bouquet, king of oud, and yuzu rose patchouli. I've also tried a few other scents. I really haven't run into a scent that I wouldn't use. Monaco royale is a bit too mild for me. I think there's some complexity to it once lathered but overall kinda mild. I like fougere bouquet, fern concerto, and yrp the best.

Wk is my top soap. No doubt.

Top Bottom