What's new

The trouble with the Perfumed Court...

...is that you end up wanting a bottle of bloody-well EVERYTHING you sample:001_tt2: My order came in today, and here's a quick run down:
SMN Acqua di Cuba
This scent is just beautiful. Recommended to me by someone on here, whom I can't remember offhand (thank you to you, sir), it starts with a very sharp and fresh lime sherbet smell, which quickly burns down to the scent of pure lime peel oil (kind of flatter and warmer), and sharpens back up again in a few minutes to the smell of a fresh-cut lime. Overall, this opening is the most complete rendition of a lime scent I've yet encountered. About a half an hour in, and the tobacco and spices have really warmed up, with the lime still pulsing gently on the top. This is by far the most gentlemanly tobacco scent I've encountered - very smooth, very addictive.
Penhaligon's Violetta
I'm fortunately not the kind of man who's afraid of smelling like flowers (cos I'm not a big sissy:001_tt2:), and I do see a bigger bottle of this in my future... I don't think any better way exists than this to crown a shave with Trumper's Violet soap. I have to say, though, that it's not that far removed from Trumper's Ajaccio Violets (at least to my nose). It's noticeably smoother, but I guess violets are violets (I'm open to correction on this, though).
Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
Oh sweet lordy, how am I going to afford all of this stuff? Any of you in the market for a lightly-used kidney? This juice is just amazing... I would have preferred for it to be a bit heavier on the tobacco, and lighter on the vanille, but I still love it. I visited an artisan vanilla processing plant here in South Africa some time back, and the guy who did the tour explained that the vast majority of perfumes featuring vanilla notes are using synthetic accords (you don't say...), because authentic vanilla accords for use in perfume can only be achieved with some sort of CO2 extraction method which is frightfully expensive. I would guess that this is what TF has done, because the vanilla here is very, very realistic, and totally unlike the "vanilla" which features in department store type stuff. Lovely!
Mazzolari Lui
Wow, just wow. This stuff is so simultaneously elegant and vulgar, it's hands-down the most intriguing scent I've smelled to date. I was expecting it to smell like something that Paulie Walnuts would wear, but I was way off - this is Vito Corleone all the way. Elegant and well-dressed, but there's something kind of vile in there, like the smell of crushed insects. This is something I would definitely wear if I wanted to intimidate someone... I'd just have to be careful not to intimidate myself, though - this stuff is that shocking.
Idole de Lubin
My nose is a bit blitzed at this point, but this is also a beautiful scent. It has a very strong Arabic / Turkish theme to my nose. I haven't checked basenotes, but a fresh, sweet rose is the clearest element that I can discern at this point.
Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
I come from an Hellenic background, and Greeks in South Africa have a bit of a reputation for opening up corner shops (euphemistically known as "cafes")... this reminds me very much of smells from my childhood, of Greeks sitting around melamine tables, sipping kaffe ellinika and talking at the tops of their voices; of big wooden containers loaded with sweets and fresh fruit, and ancient video game cabinets pocked with cigarette burns. Having said all that, I don't really get much smoke or tobacco with this one (not yet), it's more like a memory of smoke (like the smell of a cigarette burn on linoleum...). The main theme that I'm picking up from this one is a very pleasant and nostalgic musk - I will definitely be exploring this one further.

That's it for now. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to exploit TPC's Thanksgiving discount? Let's hear what you gentlemen snagged!

My congratulations, and sympathies! :laugh:

What a great selection you made! But you probably should hang onto both kidneys for now. There's lots more out there to sample! :thumbup1:

I got Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, Creed 1948 Vetiver, Diptyque Tam Dao, Creed Windsor & Guerlain Vetiver. Liked them all but.................willpower!!!!!

Not sure if it was my recommendation or not, but I did recommend Acqua do Cuba on a tobacco related thread not too long ago. It is very reminiscent of a cigar tobacco to my nose.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Tobacco Vanille. It's a gem for sure. If you want more pipe tobacco and a little less vanilla, I cannot recommend Odori's Tabacco enough. It was recommended to me by StylinLA and it is easily favorite tobacco frag of them all. WELL worth the 4 bucks to sample from Lucky Scent.

...is that you end up wanting a bottle of bloody-well EVERYTHING you sample:001_tt2: My order came in today, and here's a quick run down:
SMN Acqua di Cuba
This scent is just beautiful. Recommended to me by someone on here, whom I can't remember offhand (thank you to you, sir), it starts with a very sharp and fresh lime sherbet smell, which quickly burns down to the scent of pure lime peel oil (kind of flatter and warmer), and sharpens back up again in a few minutes to the smell of a fresh-cut lime. Overall, this opening is the most complete rendition of a lime scent I've yet encountered. About a half an hour in, and the tobacco and spices have really warmed up, with the lime still pulsing gently on the top. This is by far the most gentlemanly tobacco scent I've encountered - very smooth, very addictive.
Penhaligon's Violetta
I'm fortunately not the kind of man who's afraid of smelling like flowers (cos I'm not a big sissy:001_tt2:), and I do see a bigger bottle of this in my future... I don't think any better way exists than this to crown a shave with Trumper's Violet soap. I have to say, though, that it's not that far removed from Trumper's Ajaccio Violets (at least to my nose). It's noticeably smoother, but I guess violets are violets (I'm open to correction on this, though).
Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
Oh sweet lordy, how am I going to afford all of this stuff? Any of you in the market for a lightly-used kidney? This juice is just amazing... I would have preferred for it to be a bit heavier on the tobacco, and lighter on the vanille, but I still love it. I visited an artisan vanilla processing plant here in South Africa some time back, and the guy who did the tour explained that the vast majority of perfumes featuring vanilla notes are using synthetic accords (you don't say...), because authentic vanilla accords for use in perfume can only be achieved with some sort of CO2 extraction method which is frightfully expensive. I would guess that this is what TF has done, because the vanilla here is very, very realistic, and totally unlike the "vanilla" which features in department store type stuff. Lovely!
Mazzolari Lui
Wow, just wow. This stuff is so simultaneously elegant and vulgar, it's hands-down the most intriguing scent I've smelled to date. I was expecting it to smell like something that Paulie Walnuts would wear, but I was way off - this is Vito Corleone all the way. Elegant and well-dressed, but there's something kind of vile in there, like the smell of crushed insects. This is something I would definitely wear if I wanted to intimidate someone... I'd just have to be careful not to intimidate myself, though - this stuff is that shocking.
Idole de Lubin
My nose is a bit blitzed at this point, but this is also a beautiful scent. It has a very strong Arabic / Turkish theme to my nose. I haven't checked basenotes, but a fresh, sweet rose is the clearest element that I can discern at this point.
Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
I come from an Hellenic background, and Greeks in South Africa have a bit of a reputation for opening up corner shops (euphemistically known as "cafes")... this reminds me very much of smells from my childhood, of Greeks sitting around melamine tables, sipping kaffe ellinika and talking at the tops of their voices; of big wooden containers loaded with sweets and fresh fruit, and ancient video game cabinets pocked with cigarette burns. Having said all that, I don't really get much smoke or tobacco with this one (not yet), it's more like a memory of smoke (like the smell of a cigarette burn on linoleum...). The main theme that I'm picking up from this one is a very pleasant and nostalgic musk - I will definitely be exploring this one further.

That's it for now. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to exploit TPC's Thanksgiving discount? Let's hear what you gentlemen snagged!

Great notes, especially on the Mazzolari Lui. Feels kind of weird to talk about a sent (ML) like that, doesn't it. But I could not have said it better. Hard not to have a visceral reaction. Certainly one of the most amazing and addictive scents I have ever encountered. Makes K10 seem "friendly."

Good take on Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque. "like a memory of smoke" Wow. Dead on.

My congratulations, and sympathies! :laugh:

What a great selection you made! But you probably should hang onto both kidneys for now. There's lots more out there to sample! :thumbup1:
Thank you, this is some great advice (not sure if it's intended to console or to enable though :laugh: ).

I got Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, Creed 1948 Vetiver, Diptyque Tam Dao, Creed Windsor & Guerlain Vetiver. Liked them all but.................willpower!!!!!
These are also some great choices - Tam Dao & Guerlain Vetiver are definitely on my "must try" list. I've already tried Grey Vetiver, and I must say that I found it to be a bit of a weird one. Sweet and pleasant, but kind of muddy - I couldn't really pick out any individual notes, and I had a hard time smelling any vetiver... if you love vetiver, you really should try Encre Noire...

Not sure if it was my recommendation or not, but I did recommend Acqua do Cuba on a tobacco related thread not too long ago. It is very reminiscent of a cigar tobacco to my nose.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Tobacco Vanille. It's a gem for sure. If you want more pipe tobacco and a little less vanilla, I cannot recommend Odori's Tabacco enough. It was recommended to me by StylinLA and it is easily favorite tobacco frag of them all. WELL worth the 4 bucks to sample from Lucky Scent.
I recall the gent who recommended it said that he is originally from Cuba. If this is you, then thanks again. If not, thanks in any case - your post probably helped it to stick in the back of my mind (I've noticed that obscure scents seem to come in waves on this forum; someone will mention something that I've never heard of, and then suddenly a few seemingly unrelated threads will pop up, discussing the same scent). I will definitely try to get hold of a sample of Odori Tobacco, but right now I'm seriously taken with TV... this stuff is just SO *&%# GOOD...

Just buy larger decants so you don't have to splurge on full bottles unless you REALLY LOVE IT.
Wise words - once you cross a certain threshold, decants can also get expensive though, you know:001_tt2:

Great notes, especially on the Mazzolari Lui. Feels kind of weird to talk about a sent (ML) like that, doesn't it. But I could not have said it better. Hard not to have a visceral reaction. Certainly one of the most amazing and addictive scents I have ever encountered. Makes K10 seem "friendly."

Good take on Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque. "like a memory of smoke" Wow. Dead on.
I love that some perfumers are willing to make such a strong statement, and produce something so far removed from the rest of the stuff out there. I'm sure the first sniff of Mazzolari Lui would produce a worried look on the face of even the most jaded "fumehead"...
I also picked up a strong camphor / peppermint vibe in ML. I've read about a lot of scents with these notes, and never been particularly interested in them (Vick's Vapo-Rub, anyone?). They're pretty darn tasty in this perfume, though - makes me want to sample Pen's Elixir, among others.

To my nose, Fumerie Turque seems to have a very strong note of star anise - which contributes a lot to that "back in the good old days" feeling that I get from it. I also think I'm starting to understand the take on tobacco in this one: it's not like western pipe or cigar tobacco, it's more like a hookah... great stuff!

Thanks again for your recommendation! I had a look over on Basenotes, and nobody else really seems to mention lime as a note... am I imagining it, or is the sourness part of the tobacco maybe?

I am the accused, Sir, and I am glad to hear that you found it as enjoyable as I did.

Top Bottom