What's new

The Speakeasy Acquisitions 2021

Man. Used to be able to get Eagle Rare for $32 at the grocery store two years or so ago. I tasted it side by side with Blanton’s a couple of weeks ago at the distillery, and I wasn’t the only taster who thought ER was almost as good, if not better, than the Blanton’s sample. Blasphemy? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Man. Used to be able to get Eagle Rare for $32 at the grocery store two years or so ago. I tasted it side by side with Blanton’s a couple of weeks ago at the distillery, and I wasn’t the only taster who thought ER was almost as good, if not better, than the Blanton’s sample. Blasphemy? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Good to know. I’m down to one bottle of Blantons and the asking price for a replacement from an EU vendor is currently 170.00 :yikes:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Not at all. Blanton's is a Single barrel so no two barrels taste the same. I used to drink mostly Blantons when it was around $45 a bottle. It was always good but occasionally it was exceptional. I’d go back to the liquor store and buy any bottles of the exceptional barrels that I could. The last note I made was in 2017 for Blanton’s Barrel number 694. It was still relatively easy to find then.

6F5C197F-E4BA-48F8-BB37-7F846303EDEA.jpeg

The other bottle was Barrel No. 343. Both were bottled on 10/18/2021. We paid more attention to which letter horses we got on the cork after purchasing them!

My future son-in-law is in Colorado for work. Last night he bought the last pour of Blanton's at a local restaurant and the bartender gave him the cork. She also gave him another cork that was on the bar! We might wind up with a full set soon!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
View attachment 1364938
The other bottle was Barrel No. 343. Both were bottled on 10/18/2021. We paid more attention to which letter horses we got on the cork after purchasing them!

My future son-in-law is in Colorado for work. Last night he bought the last pour of Blantons at a local restaurant and the bartender gave him the cork. She also gave him another cork that was on the bar! We might wind up with a full set soon!
I think I have doubles of a couple of letters if you’re short something let me know.

Thanks! He was adamant about taking any letters from me. He’s on a mission from God! I’ll let you know. Are you close to a set?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Thanks! He was adamant about taking any letters from me. He’s on a mission from God! I’ll let you know. Are you close to a set?
Not right now. I’ve had 3 sets over the years that I’ve gifted away. Back in the mid/late 90’s and early 00’s when I was drinking a lot of Blantons I didn’t know the letters were a thing. Maybe it’s more recent, I don’t know. Anyways, I probably threw away 40-50 of those stoppers over the years. It was just an empty bottle. I’ve mentioned it here before but I used to mix Blanton’s with Coke on a more than occasional occasion.

Hey all!

I just saw Four Roses bourbon in Canada and grabbed bottles of the following…

- Four Roses Bourbon
- Four Roses Single Barrel
- Four Roses Small Batch

It is one brand I have never tried and won’t arrive until next week.

Any thoughts on these 3?

Hey all!

- Four Roses Bourbon
- Four Roses Small Batch

Any thoughts on these 3?
Underwhelmed by the entry level Bourbon, which used to be called yellow label. The other two are tasty, though! Kind of disappointed that we showed up late to a tasting at the distillery a couple weekends ago and missed out on a side by side tasting to better compare.

Attachments

• C175F0CC-1E8A-49E0-8BA5-C48BEFDE8E49.jpeg
    C175F0CC-1E8A-49E0-8BA5-C48BEFDE8E49.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 05136F9C-055D-4515-8C09-49AF6E83B417.jpeg
    05136F9C-055D-4515-8C09-49AF6E83B417.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
My future son-in-law is in Colorado for work. Last night he bought the last pour of Blanton's at a local restaurant and the bartender gave him the cork. She also gave him another cork that was on the bar! We might wind up with a full set soon!
Careful with the "soon" thing. Though if you have good folks to trade letters with, it may be easier. Happy hunting!
Not right now. I’ve had 3 sets over the years that I’ve gifted away. Back in the mid/late 90’s and early 00’s when I was drinking a lot of Blantons I didn’t know the letters were a thing. Maybe it’s more recent, I don’t know. Anyways, I probably threw away 40-50 of those stoppers over the years. It was just an empty bottle. I’ve mentioned it here before but I used to mix Blanton’s with Coke on a more than occasional occasion.
We all make mistakes. Glad you learned from yours.
Hey all!

- Four Roses Bourbon
- Four Roses Small Batch

Any thoughts on these 3?
I've actually never had the standard bottle. It's usually priced higher than my other "entry level" favorites, but with poorer reviews. I imagine it's probably decent for what it is. The Small Batch is ok, but not one I really tend to look for. The Single Barrel, however, is one of my favorites! There's also a Small Batch Select that I've heard is excellent, but is typically just out of my self-imposed price bracket. I really hate the name for that one, but since 4R didn't contact me, I imagine they don't care. :)

The first of 3 bottles of Weller died a quick death in a Montreal hotel room this weekend with a couple of friends. Excellent stuff. 👍

The Maple whisky is a Quebec thing and I bought a couple of bottles after being given a recommendation. The stuff is just over 40%ABV and medium sweet. Different for sure, but tasty if served very cold.

4F4C5373-E19B-4435-A8EB-FF935DF212D0.jpeg
C2BB7895-B891-46EA-8D69-20D1999F8356.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Went back to my hometown for Turkey Day (Grand Rapids, MI). Picked up a store barrel selection from Larceny that is quite good (especially for $32), plus Michigin from Long Road Distillers which I have had before and is incredible (more info here: MICHIGIN | Long Road Distillers - https://longroaddistillers.com/product/michigin/)

View attachment 1369791
Man I miss Rishi's. If it could be had in Michigan, he had it in stock. Between Rishi's for my liquor and Horracks for my beer I never had to search hard for something good to drink. Long Road Distillers puts out some good stuff. They're original bourbon offerings were a little rough around the edges but I've heard that their most recent stuff is really good.

Man I miss Rishi's. If it could be had in Michigan, he had it in stock. Between Rishi's for my liquor and Horracks for my beer I never had to search hard for something good to drink. Long Road Distillers puts out some good stuff. They're original bourbon offerings were a little rough around the edges but I've heard that their most recent stuff is really good.

I have not tried their bourbons to be able to weigh in on that but the Aquavit and Michigin are good.

Love supporting Rishi's when I am there. Great selection, fair prices, great owner and a very helpful staff

Top Bottom