What's new

The Rubberset 400 Club

Just picked up 2 un-restored Rubberset 400's from my local antique shop and have another one, also un-restored, on it's way (should be here Monday). Pictures to follow.

There are no words...

$model 400.jpg

Yeah, I saw that listing, too. I can't imagine paying that much for a brush, ever. Things have taken a turn for the surreal. :blink:

-- Sammy

I saw that too. I think this is a case of two buyers putting in a much higher bid than it was worth and the computer auto bidding them up against each other to a crazy amount. I suspect that this isn't an accurate indication of market value and I'd be surprised if the sale actually went through to completion.

$Powder Coated 400s.jpg

I had these done locally with a powder coater that I've used many times in the past.

The candy green, red, blue and violet were done in a two stage process for $3.50 each, the black gloss was $2.00, total price of $16.00.

Unfortunately the aluminum wasn't terribly conducive to the process and each one had be be reshot several times and still came out with a number of blemishes.

The knots aren't set in there yet. I've just positioned them while I decide which knot to permanently mount in each brush.

Last edited:
All that $500 brush did was make people stupid. Now there are lots of brushes listed for $300. Lots of people will put a lot of brushes on there to cash out and the price will come back down to reasonable again.

I really like my 400's but if someone were to give me that kind of money for them I'll find something else I like just as well.

Regardless I see them selling for over 100 on a regular basis. I absolutely would love to buy one to restore...however can't justify 75 plus for a project brush.

I'm really lovin' those candy colors, Jim - were the handles polished before powder coating?

They were just lightly polished, cleaned more than polished actually. I like the way the candy colors came out as well. No real favorite though.

I have a 400-4 that has been sitting in a box for several years and seeing all the activity online around these the past few months has got me motivated to do something with it. First I thought about listing it on the bay but thought I probably won't have another one come my way any time soon so will hold onto it for now. I always thought I would put a silvertip knot in it but lately have had second thoughts. The performance of the synthetic knots has gotten so good that I have considered this route, but it seems to be unfaithful to the original nature of the brush so now I'm thinking a new boar knot might be in order.

But I have some questions for the group. What size boar knots have you used in your restore, banded or natural and where did you get it?

Thanks for the assist!

The brushes will take a 24mm knot. For a boar brush you're really limited as to what is available to use as a replacement knot. Places like The Golden Nib (TGN) will offer one boar knot to choose from. Whipped Dog might offer one to pick from as well. Your options are limited as I don't believe that there's a lot of profit to be made in boar knots so businesses don't bother with them.

I think what I would do is get myself a brand new inexpensive Semogue or Omega brush with a 24mm knot and destroy the handle to remove and reuse the knot. These brushes are priced about the same as a loose knot is and with the Omega and Semogue brushes you know exactly what type of quality you're getting. A dremel would clean it up nicely so that if would fit right in the Rubberset handle.

So... I see that most Omega and Semogue boar knots are in a metal or plastic cup. Is this cup removed or just shoved up inside the collar of the 400?

An Omega 10049 spec's out on the West Coast Shaving site at 25mm and looks to be a good fit both size wise and aesthetically.

Thoughts?

So... I see that most Omega and Semogue boar knots are in a metal or plastic cup. Is this cup removed or just shoved up inside the collar of the 400?

An Omega 10049 spec's out on the West Coast Shaving site at 25mm and looks to be a good fit both size wise and aesthetically.

Thoughts?

That I'm not sure of. I do know that another member here did just what I'm recommending so you can always look through the thread and maybe send him a pm asking about it. I don't recall seeing the metal cup on his brush so I'm leaning toward it being removed. Though I know someone did use a plastic cup at one point in the thread so I'm not entirely sure. I guess it would be whatever fit. While some have, I do know that I wouldn't want to modify the brush collar to fit the knot. If a knot didn't fit I'd save it for another brush.

You can use some 5 minute epoxy to set the knot but I'd recommend setting it with silicone at least at first until you find the best loft for the knot. I have some knots set in silicone for a very long time and they stay put just fine. Plus it's nice that you can remove them without having to destroy them to get them out.

Everything you need to know about these brushes from getting them apart to refinishing techniques to setting the knot is in this thread.

Thoughts?

I put an knot out of an Omega 49 into my 400. I removed the plastic cup and had to open the hole up a good bit. I am putting a knot out of an Omega 10066 in a friends this weekend. I'll let you know what's involved with the 10066 knot after I get it installed.

Here is a pic of my 400 unmarked with the Omega 49 boar knot.

So what Omega knot Clint64 use in your brush? I really like the aesthetics of the blonde boat knots in these handles... So much that I got an Omega 49 for this purpose but the knot appears to be way too big.

Top Bottom