What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Just to show you all that the Renaissance is alive and well in singapore...

Currently sitting at my barbershop.

Excuse the crappy pics....

Cheers
Benz $uploadfromtaptalk1424664235267.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1424664264816.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1424664290409.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1424664314751.jpg

AND you can get samples?! That's one awesome barber shop. I'm pretty jealous.. the best place I've found around me is SuperCuts and that's limited to only one barber at one SuperCuts.
Thanks for sharing!

Also, I'm not too experienced with Singapore's monetary system - are the prices comparable to what we see in the states?

1 USD is about 1.35 Singapore Dollars - I guess we pay a premium but not too bad.

Also I much prefer to support my local barber as opposed to buying cheaper online. Ive always hated getting my haircut but I love going to the barber these days - I get a sharp haircut plus they have a cool selection of shaving and grooming products for me to check out.

AND you can get samples?! That's one awesome barber shop. I'm pretty jealous.. the best place I've found around me is SuperCuts and that's limited to only one barber at one SuperCuts.
Thanks for sharing!

Also, I'm not too experienced with Singapore's monetary system - are the prices comparable to what we see in the states?

Last edited:
It does not list petrolatum as an ingredient on my label:

Bees wax
Emulsifying Wax NF
Cetearth-20
Caster Oil
Olive Oil
Lanolin
Coconut Oil
Vegetable Glycerin
Pepermint oil
Tea tree oil
Eucalyptus oil
Camphor oil
Vitamin E

But I do see it listed as an ingredient on pomades.com. The jar I have is pretty new, got it two weeks ago, not sure why the descrepency? I could have a label misprint. ..
Very odd,

They don't list it on their site either but I can see it on the label in the pictures. The hold they advertise seems different from yours as well. I wonder if they just changed the product recently. http://loveanchors.com/product/teddy-boy-classic-pomade-handmade-oil-based/

No sir, but I watched a review and it seems pretty darn promising. Supposed to "revolutionize" the water-based industry. I've heard that a few times about products but this one looks promising.

As per your request:
Shear Revival: Not sure where it's made but all the names of their products pay homage to classic movies and pop TV. Elm Street, The One Who Knocks, Crystal Lake, and Friday the 13th are the pomades of their line. Ingredients of Elm Street (light hold) White Petrolatum, Organic Castor Oil, Pure Jojoba Oil, Beeswax, Microcrystalline Wax, Unrefined Shea Butter, Organic Coconut Oil, Parfum & Color.

The Mail Room Barber Co.: Made in Florence, SC. Oil based but claims it washes out like water based pomades. Ingredients include
beeswax, lanolin, white petrolatum, coconut oil, essential oil.

Rustin Pomade: Made in Houston, TX. Light, Classic, and Heavy hold with different scents. Beeswax and petrolatum can be found in these pomades but in different amounts to make different holds.

Just to be clear, I haven't tried any of these pomades but hope to soon!

Adam, great information. Thank you for sharing.

I am not suggesting that petroleum products cause cancer. What I am saying is that petroleum is a substance used to manufacture things like plastic. We use plastic in many products, and there is no evidence that any of them cause cancer.

However, if a food product were introduced that incorporated plastic, I would probably try to avoid it, even if I were told that, like saccharine or aspartame, it was entirely harmless. Same goes for the petroleum-based propellants in canned shaving cream. If I have the choice, I prefer to use products using vegetable, plant, or animal products rather than petrochemicals. Given the choice between the stuff in Cella vs. the stuff in Edge Gel, I will take Cella.

Not everyone agrees, and the opposing point of view is perfectly valid. It's just my preference, and I'm not that unusual in holding it.

And as I said, I am glad that products like Royal Crown still exist, if only as a part of our cultural heritage. I'm glad they're out there for people to enjoy. I just want to use something else.

When I first started with pomades, I had the same thought process that coating my head in petrolatum was going to be terrible for my head. I only used water based pomades and what I found was that they completely dried out my scalp and hair. I switched to oil based pomades and my hair has never been happier. My scalp is just fine.

That said, I respect that your preference is with water based pomades and wish you happy hair styling. I still use a water based pomade every now and then to wash the oil based out of my hair. To me, that shows how harsh they are on your head.

When I first started with pomades, I had the same thought process that coating my head in petrolatum was going to be terrible for my head. I only used water based pomades and what I found was that they completely dried out my scalp and hair. I switched to oil based pomades and my hair has never been happier. My scalp is just fine.

That said, I respect that your preference is with water based pomades and wish you happy hair styling. I still use a water based pomade every now and then to wash the oil based out of my hair. To me, that shows how harsh they are on your head.

That was my process as well. I started with water based and found that they dried out my hair. I tried Brylcreem and found that it added back the oils that water based pomades stripped away. Part of the appeal of Brylcreem is that it's beeswax-based, but there's a lot of other stuff in there as well. I'm increasingly intrigued by the likes of North Standard, which uses Beeswax, Olive Oil, Coconut oil, etc, and (seemingly) few unpronounceable chemical compounds.

Having said this, there may be a trade-off in terms of styleability. If you want to look like Johnny Cash, you're going to have to use Royal Crown. I'm not doing anything as retro as that, so it's not an issue for me.

Gents, anyone here had a chance to try O'Douds water based pomade? If so, how is it?

Marco, I have the O'Douds water based. It gives me a nice medium hold with low shine. I would say it performs more like an oil based than most water based I have tried. It doesn't seem to wash out with just water and I required a fair amount of shampoo to remove it. It almost had the consistency and appearance of dough when you scoop it out which is odd but it easy to work in the hands and apply. Overall I would certainly recommend this one.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, I have the O'Douds water based. It gives me a nice medium hold with low shine. I would say it performs more like an oil based than most water based I have tried. It doesn't seem to wash out with just water and I required a fair amount of shampoo to remove it. It almost had the consistency and appearance of dough when you scoop it out which is odd but it easy to work in the hands and apply. Overall I would certainly recommend this one.

Medium hold with low shine is not exactly my cup of tea. But thank you anyway Sir, much appreciated.

So it's not a classic pomade but I used C0ck Grease No-X for the first time in a couple months. I forgot how great it is! Today's style was done over a foundation of SGB Red from yesterday. Great looking shine with excellent styleability after the fact. I'm really impressed and sad that I left it in the dopp kit for so long. The scent also compliments SGB Red pretty well but I would describe it as a bit sweeter as if SGB Red had some brown sugar and honey added to it.
Either way, great product if you like lighter hold and higher shine!

Very odd,

They don't list it on their site either but I can see it on the label in the pictures. The hold they advertise seems different from yours as well. I wonder if they just changed the product recently. http://loveanchors.com/product/teddy-boy-classic-pomade-handmade-oil-based/

I contacted the owner and it has been reformulated and is petroleum free! He also said that he need to update the pics and is in the process of getting the labels screen printed on the container.

Last edited:
I contacted the owner and it has been reformulated and is petroleum free! He also said that he need to update the pics and is in the process of getting the labels screen printed on the container.

Nice. While I am not worried about petrolatum per se, it is always nice to see the manufacturers trying to go more natural. My hair works better with oil based products that are based on beeswax, lanolin, and similar. Great to see Anchor's making a difference.

Last edited:

Awesome! I have another Pomade to try. Same as Todd I'm not against petroleum in my products but I'd like to try more products that use something more natural in place of it.

Top Bottom