What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Juan, you don't have to worry about nothing like that. If you apply the right amount of pomade you won't have any problem.
I use Sweet Georgia Brown - Blue, almost everyday(when im not using SGB i use Schmiere) and i sleep with pomade in my hair every night. There ain't no stains at all.
If you want a cheap and good product Sweet Georgia Brown is one of those. I also know that King Brown is also really good and smells great, but I havent seen it anywhere in Europe.

I wanted to share something with you Gents. Yesterday I woke up around 6 O'Clock in the morning like every-other day, took a shower, shave and styled my hair with a SGB Blue. I got back home this morning at around 5 O'Clock in the morning today with a great styled hair. I am absolutely amazed how the oil based pomade doesn't dry out or loses its how.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
First of all, thanks to Marco and the other "Pomanati" for the wealth of information in this thread. Since "top fives" are being solicited, I thought I'd pipe in with my "top four", which is to say my only four. But its a colorful collection.

$IMG_2762.jpg

Just for background info, I have thick, dark hair that I wear short (though very long by Army standards :001_cool:) - faded on the side and back and side-parted on top. Pretty standard - nothing fancy.

So far, I like the Blue Dax (Short and Neat) best. Usually I use a pea-size dollop in dry hair and it just makes everything silky and shiny and fall in place just so, while maintaining a very natural, un-slicked look. When I'm feeling dressier, I'll use a knuckleful in damp hair for that nice early-20th century gentlemen's look. The Murray's Superlight has the best looking tin, for whatever that's worth, and by far the best ingredient list - everything all natural and pronounceable. In my hair, its close to the Dax, but just a bit stickier and greasier and my hair doesn't lay down quite as nicely. The Nu Nile and Red Dax I find have too much hold for what I need. I suspect I might like them better when the weather warms up, so I'll continue to experiment with them. I've also been trying them in combo with the lighter pomades, which while promising, I haven't arrived at any epiphanies yet. Anyway, I'm really enjoying these pomades so much more than the gels or whatever I was using before.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sweet Georgia Brown-Blue it is! Just ordered some and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sweet Georgia Brown Blue... :001_wub: Unquestionably my desert island pomade. By the way Gentlemen, after the Top 5 list, what is your desert islande choice?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Absolutely untrue. Petroleum jelly is a by-product of the crude oil refinement process and is nothing like motor oil. Its a safe product that has been in use medicinally and cosmetically since the 1800's. One might worry that being a petroleum product, it is therefore unsustainable and environmentally unfriendly. But seriously, considering the millions of barrels that are pumped everyday, the little bit of petroleum jelly in a can of pomade is like spitting in the ocean.

Exactly my own thoughts, Sir.

My desert island choice would have to be my Toronto made North Standard Pomade. All around my favorite pomade, can be used on its own or as a high shine topper.

For those who are reluctant to try oil based pomades due to the petrolatum content, I would suggest trying one of the many petrolatum free oil based pomades. I currently use O'Douds heavy hold and The Anchors Hair Co. Teddy Boy Slick.

O'Douds heavy hold has excellent hold and adds a nice shine, a touch above my hairs normal shine. They also have a normal and light hold. I am planning on ordering some of there medium hold in the near future.

Teddy Boy Slick does not have as strong of a hold, I would call it medium-light hold, but is super slick and adds a nice shine.

I am also planning on trying Dr. Elliot which is another petrolatum free pomade I have heard good things about.

Last edited:
It does not list petrolatum as an ingredient on my label:

Bees wax
Emulsifying Wax NF
Cetearth-20
Caster Oil
Olive Oil
Lanolin
Coconut Oil
Vegetable Glycerin
Pepermint oil
Tea tree oil
Eucalyptus oil
Camphor oil
Vitamin E

But I do see it listed as an ingredient on pomades.com. The jar I have is pretty new, got it two weeks ago, not sure why the descrepency? I could have a label misprint. ..
$20150222_105518.jpg$20150222_105712.jpg$20150222_105722.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely untrue. Petroleum jelly is a by-product of the crude oil refinement process and is nothing like motor oil. Its a safe product that has been in use medicinally and cosmetically since the 1800's. One might worry that being a petroleum product, it is therefore unsustainable and environmentally unfriendly. But seriously, considering the millions of barrels that are pumped everyday, the little bit of petroleum jelly in a can of pomade is like spitting in the ocean.

I was being facetious. I realize you're not actually putting motor oil in your hair. Nonetheless, it's far from a natural or organic product, and the fact that people used it "back in the day" does little to assuage this. People smoked cigarettes and used asbestos back in the day too.

Given the choice between using a petroleum product in or on my body and an organic one, I'll take the organic one every time.

Edit: as always, YMMV. Many here love their petroleum based pomades, and I'm glad they have that option. Use what you like :)

Last edited:
Given the choice between using a petroleum product in or on my body and an organic one, I'll take the organic one every time.

Beautiful thing about the free world is your right to choose!
Did a little research last night on some "local" pomade brewers. Pretty interesting!
As some of you know, I'm very much into light hold pomades and while not all are created equal, many are very very similar. I've been looking more into the scents of different pomades.
If y'all would like I can put a list up. They're a little pricier than my normal lineup, but I'm all about supporting small businesses when I can afford it. Pomade is a lot cheaper than Tacoma modifications.

Did a little research last night on some "local" pomade brewers. Pretty interesting!
As some of you know, I'm very much into light hold pomades and while not all are created equal, many are very very similar. I've been looking more into the scents of different pomades.
If y'all would like I can put a list up. They're a little pricier than my normal lineup, but I'm all about supporting small businesses when I can afford it. Pomade is a lot cheaper than Tacoma modifications.

If you are into organic light hold pomades I would order some North Standard. Its made locally in toronto using all natural products and is quite excellent.

http://northstandard.com/products/north-standard-pomade

Finally got thru my tub of shiner gold. Really good stuff and liked it allot. But today got to try reuzel red for the first time. Was very surprised how easily it went into my hair and styled. Very nice stuff!

Adam, I would be interested in reading anything you wish to share about local pomade brewers. Much like our beloved artisan shave soaps, sourcing these artisan made pomades could lead to the customised version a bloke has been looking for.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gents, anyone here had a chance to try O'Douds water based pomade? If so, how is it?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I was being facetious. I realize you're not actually putting motor oil in your hair. Nonetheless, it's far from a natural or organic product, and the fact that people used it "back in the day" does little to assuage this. People smoked cigarettes and used asbestos back in the day too.

Edit: as always, YMMV. Many here love their petroleum based pomades, and I'm glad they have that option. Use what you like :)

Sir, I hesitate to respond because I don't want to derail this wonderful thread, however I can't let your allegation go unchallenged. Are you suggesting that petroleum jelly causes cancer? To my knowledge, no study has ever shown petroleum jelly to cause any ill health effects, let alone cancer. As far as I know, the only thing it causes are pimples, but plenty of other oils will do that too. If, however, you have objective evidence that petroleum jelly is unsafe, please present it - I don't claim omniscience on this topic and am open to learning new things. I tend to think that the idea of putting a petroleum product in one's hair is scarier than the reality. In fact, petroleum is both natural and organic, if unfashionable and politically incorrect in this day and age; it comes from the ground and is not a synthetic chemical. Sure, I wouldn't rub unrefined crude oil in my hair, but I wouldn't rub unsaponified lye on my body either. Is lye not a natural ingredient for soap? Nevertheless, as you and others have stated, there many wonderful artisan-made petroleum-free pomades, so it is certainly not a required ingredient for good pomade. I completely agree with your final point and wish you happy grooming with whichever products you like best.

Sir, I hesitate to respond because I don't want to derail this wonderful thread, however I can't let your allegation go unchallenged. Are you suggesting that petroleum jelly causes cancer? To my knowledge, no study has ever shown petroleum jelly to cause any ill health effects, let alone cancer. As far as I know, the only thing it causes are pimples, but plenty of other oils will do that too. If, however, you have objective evidence that petroleum jelly is unsafe, please present it - I don't claim omniscience on this topic and am open to learning new things. I tend to think that the idea of putting a petroleum product in one's hair is scarier than the reality. In fact, petroleum is both natural and organic, if unfashionable and politically incorrect in this day and age; it comes from the ground and is not a synthetic chemical. Sure, I wouldn't rub unrefined crude oil in my hair, but I wouldn't rub unsaponified lye on my body either. Is lye not a natural ingredient for soap? Nevertheless, as you and others have stated, there many wonderful artisan-made petroleum-free pomades, so it is certainly not a required ingredient for good pomade. I completely agree with your final point and wish you happy grooming with whichever products you like best.

I am not suggesting that petroleum products cause cancer. What I am saying is that petroleum is a substance used to manufacture things like plastic. We use plastic in many products, and there is no evidence that any of them cause cancer.

However, if a food product were introduced that incorporated plastic, I would probably try to avoid it, even if I were told that, like saccharine or aspartame, it was entirely harmless. Same goes for the petroleum-based propellants in canned shaving cream. If I have the choice, I prefer to use products using vegetable, plant, or animal products rather than petrochemicals. Given the choice between the stuff in Cella vs. the stuff in Edge Gel, I will take Cella.

Not everyone agrees, and the opposing point of view is perfectly valid. It's just my preference, and I'm not that unusual in holding it.

And as I said, I am glad that products like Royal Crown still exist, if only as a part of our cultural heritage. I'm glad they're out there for people to enjoy. I just want to use something else.

Last edited:
Gents, anyone here had a chance to try O'Douds water based pomade? If so, how is it?

No sir, but I watched a review and it seems pretty darn promising. Supposed to "revolutionize" the water-based industry. I've heard that a few times about products but this one looks promising.

Adam, I would be interested in reading anything you wish to share about local pomade brewers. Much like our beloved artisan shave soaps, sourcing these artisan made pomades could lead to the customised version a bloke has been looking for.

As per your request:
Shear Revival: Not sure where it's made but all the names of their products pay homage to classic movies and pop TV. Elm Street, The One Who Knocks, Crystal Lake, and Friday the 13th are the pomades of their line. Ingredients of Elm Street (light hold) White Petrolatum, Organic Castor Oil, Pure Jojoba Oil, Beeswax, Microcrystalline Wax, Unrefined Shea Butter, Organic Coconut Oil, Parfum & Color.

The Mail Room Barber Co.: Made in Florence, SC. Oil based but claims it washes out like water based pomades. Ingredients include
beeswax, lanolin, white petrolatum, coconut oil, essential oil.

Rustin Pomade: Made in Houston, TX. Light, Classic, and Heavy hold with different scents. Beeswax and petrolatum can be found in these pomades but in different amounts to make different holds.

Just to be clear, I haven't tried any of these pomades but hope to soon!

Top Bottom