What's new

The MMA Thread

Didnt know this thread was around. Glad to find fellow MMA fans. IMO I think the Cyborg will go thru alot of red tape and wont happen. As many of you have stated RR is UFC cash cow, she goes down and its a wrap for WMMA. Again just my 2 cents.

Off topic in a way. How many here feel that Dom. Cruz will return to championship glory? Or will 2 yrs out be too much to overcome.

Just a month shy of 3 years since he's fought. I really hope he's ready, and i bet he gets a title shot if he beats mizugaki. Although that might depend how he wins.

I would like to see him and faber finish their trilogy.

Here's a gif of the finish from the main event.

proxy.php

brucered

System Generated
Just catching up on the cards...still have to watch a couple from the Ireland card, but don't mind seeing who wins.

The Cerrone card was decent and nice to see Cerrone pick up another win. That guy is on a roll lately. I'd like to see him get another title shot and at least wear the belt for a little bit as he seems deserving.

Cerrone never had a UFC title shot, though I think he did in the WEC. He's dang good and I love his attitude, he just shows up to fight and put on a show and he'll fight as often as he can. I really respect it when so many of these guys just want to take tons of time off. Donald is smart enough to know he's got a short window to make money and he's got to make it while he can.

brucered

System Generated
I guess he hasn't had a shot....but he sure as heck deserves one.

I also agree with you on his attituted and showing up to fight. It took me a few fights when he came over to appreciate him, but he's one of my favorites now.

Last edited:
Cerrone is one of those guys that will fight anybody, i would definitely like to see him get a title shot. As much as i dislike pettis, i think he's just a bit better than cowboy. I would still hope that cerrone gets the win though.

In case you guys haven't seen it, here's the Road to the octagon for saturday's event.

I really wish the ufc would let these people make the countdowns as well, they are so much better.

in other news, Paul daley and Melvin manhoef signed to bellator. I would love to see them fight each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cerrone is one of those guys that will fight anybody, i would definitely like to see him get a title shot. As much as i dislike pettis, i think he's just a bit better than cowboy. I would still hope that cerrone gets the win though.

In case you guys haven't seen it, here's the Road to the octagon for saturday's event.

I really wish the ufc would let these people make the countdowns as well, they are so much better.

in other news, Paul daley and Melvin manhoef signed to bellator. I would love to see them fight each other.

I'm a Cerrone fan, but he's a gatekeeper of the Elite at 155. He's a gamer for sure and a Bonus Machine, but he can't compete with Bendo, Pettis, Gil Melendez, Nate Diaz and I think Khabib would have steamrolled him IMO had he not torn his meniscus. But I love how the guy never ducks anyone and always does his best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am excited for the fights this weekend.
I'm a huge Matt Brown fan, I hope he can get the win over Lawler but I don't think he will be able to pull it off. And if he does pull it off I don't think he will fare will against Hendricks.

Johnson vs Nogueira

I think Johnson takes it. I can't believe that he was fighting at WW.

Guida Vs Bermudez

I hope Guida doesn't dance his way to getting cut from the UFC.

I think Brown v Lawler is going to be a good fight too. Both of those guys have come on strong late in their careers, so it seems like a natural matchup. If I had to pick, I'd also go with Lawler.

Guida has pretty much burned through my good will. I just don't enjoy watching him fight any more. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do on fight night.

I think Brown v Lawler is going to be a good fight too. Both of those guys have come on strong late in their careers, so it seems like a natural matchup. If I had to pick, I'd also go with Lawler.

Guida has pretty much burned through my good will. I just don't enjoy watching him fight any more. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do on fight night.

I feel the same way.

Guida's fights seem to be exciting when he's on the losing end:

mendes
florian
bendo
huerta (guida was winning that though)
sanchez
griffin.

I'll be cheering for bermudez.

Finally got around to watching that Road to the Octagon, heck of a program. I've never watched one of those before. Really well done. Thanks for posting it.

I always was a Guida fan, he put on some of the all time great fights, but in his last several he's been sooooo boring, I wish we'd get the wild man back. Clay will never be champ, but he has the ability to be one of the most exciting fighters out there. Let's home that returns.

I am really pulling for Matt Brown, one I am sick of rematches, Hendricks just fought Lawler, I don't want to see it again. And two, I love his comeback story, it would be amazing to see a middle of the road journeyman turn it all around and fight for the title.

I think Johnson can beat Lil Nog, Lil Nog's boxing is great, but Johnson has so much more power if he can shrug off all of Davis's takedown attempts, I don't see Rogerio getting him to the ground.

Vitor Belfort has just received a conditional liscence to fight Chris Weidman for the middleweight title (which Dana has said will take place in Brazil, which I think is garbage FWIW though the liscense is for UFC 181 which I think is in LV). I find it funny that Vitor seems to be getting a pass, while Chael has to retire (which I agree with) and gets fired from his commentating job TALKING about fights (which I strongly disagree with) and Vitor also coming off a failed test where his testosterone level was a whooping 16:1 gets a title shot. I don't get how the UFC and MMA community and athletic commissions can expect the fans to care about steroids when they clearly don't. Dana's inconsistency in this really ticks me off, because he keeps holding a failed test over the head of Cyborg and says she'll never fight in the UFC because of it yet rewards Vitor's entirely steroid career resurrection for using the same drugs.

Last edited:
I don't get it either Tim. I think it's all about money, and how much money a fighter can generate. Why else would Gina be getting an immediate title shot? Maybe Chael retired (or was forced to retire) because he knew he was going to test positive for multiple banned substances. I just don't get why Vitor seems to be getting a pass on this. Oh, and if they fight in Brazil who does the testing? Isn't it the UFC?

Top Bottom