What's new

The lkon thread

Thanks for taking the time and effort to write an interesting review.

My Ikon slant arrived this morning and I can't wait to shave with it.

Keep the reviews coming!

My Ikon OC also feels a bit "draggy", though with my wiry stubble, this applies to the majority of razors I have used, to a lesser or greater extent. I have found that the Ikon SB plate, though much more aggressive than its OC brother, gives a much smoother shave. Although you say you have no interest in the Tradere, my Tradere 2nd generation OC is very similar in terms of aggression to the Ikon OC, but shaves more smoothly.

Thanks for the great review Jeff :thumbup: Because I have New DeLuxe I know this head like sharp blade,next time try Polsilver SI or GSB and I think the shave for sure will be more pleasant.

Welcome back to the land of shaving!
I don't have an iKon, but Veli's idea sounds good. The Voskhod is smooth as silk (the smoothest blade I have ever tried), but it is not nearly as sharp as a PSI or GSB.

I did not know that the OSS plate was modeled after a British NEW. Time for me to go to google images and see what it looks like.

Now it is time to get back to the ATT. Don't keep Stan waiting! Plus, we all want to know where you end up on you ATT adventure journey.

I have both the 101 and OSS heads, and don't find either to be draggy (I understand your comment applies to the OC baseplate). I may have to try growing my beard out for a few days to se if I can replicate your results. I do know that my first shave with the OSS was less than stellar but after that I have had nothing but great shaves.

Great review. Look forward to your additional comments on the razor!

Thanks for the comments guys. I really enjoyed the shave, don't get me wrong. My nickel plated, Chrome plated and other SS heads just have a different feel. Like if you take the razor and put the cap flat on your lathered cheek and pull....the thing is going to slide right off like a greased pig. The iKon would slide off too, just not as quickly or easily. It's either the coating or the blade.

I'll try a sharper blade next time to see what happens. I shaved about midnight last night and now 12 hours later and having slept I am still BBS.

Back to the ATT M plate starting Monday morning, so I can figure that beast out.

I'm happy you liked it at the end of the day.
Thanks for the review. I hope you received it in a reasonable time.

The more I feel my face today the more pleased I am with the razor. If a slightly less fluid glide is the small cost of getting a great, irritation free shave, than it's well worth it. I am very very happy with the OC plate and am looking forward to the OSS plate. And the razor arrived in perfect time. It was waiting for me when I arrived home from my trip.

My goal was to have a SS razor that shaved as smoothly, closely and as irritation free as my beloved English Goodwill. So far this fits the bill.

The more I feel my face today the more pleased I am with the razor. If a slightly less fluid glide is the small cost of getting a great, irritation free shave, than it's well worth it. I am very very happy with the OC plate and am looking forward to the OSS plate. And the razor arrived in perfect time. It was waiting for me when I arrived home from my trip.

My goal was to have a SS razor that shaved as smoothly, closely and as irritation free as my beloved English Goodwill. So far this fits the bill.
The oss plate is noticeably milder than the oc plate but is a nice, comfortable shave, will be interested to read your opinions on the oss plate

let me say that I've purchased far too many razors lately. More than I have been able to properly learn to use
I had no prior intention of even looking at iKon,
I'm with you on this.
I've also been wanting to try more of the stainless steel razor varieties after buying the Weber PH, which I had issues with but now have come to love.

I've been eyeballing what one of the members "bosseb" does or did do in the past, with his Feather top plate and all three ikon base plates. I thought what a good idea. So when the opportunity came up to buy the Feather, I pulled the trigger, and also bought the ikon OSS+ bulldogII handle and the 2x base plate deal "1 OC & 1 standard plate" slightly blemished according to ikon, but they look fine to me.

Ok I started with the ikon standard plate and found it to aggressive for me. Also I prefer the length of the Weber handle over the ikon bulldogII handle. So I sold the standard plate and cap with the bulldogII to a friend with a heavy beard that I converted. Glad its been working for him.

Moved on to the OSS plate with Feather top cap. I like this one! For pass 1 I use the open comb side, and the safety bar side for passes 2 & 3 . One side shave like a Gillette New Long Comb and the other like a Tech. I did notice that drag your talking about, same drag with my Feather, its the coating because I polished my feather top cap and voila no more drag.

I haven't shaved with the Open Comb Base Plate yet.

Last edited:
Have you found the images? Do you mean the 7oclock razor?

Yes, the 7 O'clock razor and several other varieties of the English NEW flat bottom razors. I have one of nearly every variety and the OSS is nearly identical to all of them. The profile, the curve of the comb, the length of the comb....everything. The only small difference is the top portion of the pâté, where the razor sits, is slightly thicker on the OSS than on the Gillette.

I will post pics in a few minutes. Time for a quick late dinner of fresh made San Antonio tacos then I'll put up pics.

Ok....here is the comparison. Pic one is the OSS on the left and an English 7 O'clock baseplate on the right. Pic two is the OSS on the left and an English Gillette Flat Bottom/T-Pin baseplate on the right. I could take pics of the bias twin pin, round pin and other English baseplates, but they're all the same.

The only significant difference, other than the top plate thickness, are the four routed corner sections on the OSS for the top plate tabs to sit in. This is how the plate of the Goodwill razors are routed. So, iKon has incorporated design elements from several great vintage Gillette designs into one plate. I am excited to shave with this plate. If it really shaves like a Gillette OC on one side and a Gillette Tech on the other, it could be very interesting.

$DSCF2740.JPG

$DSCF2742.JPG

I've owned and loved the Merkur 39C slant for a while. I mean I really love the 39C. This is the razor that changed my DE shaving experience for ever. In fact, the mighty Merkur made all the other razors I owned redundant. One by one they went to new owners. Soon, all I had left in the cabinet was the 39C, my grandfather's old army open comb and a Merkur travel razor, all of which are pleasant to use in their own way.

So, when I succumbed to the attractive looking Ikon Slant, I thought I loved Slant razors for their ease of use and amazing beard removing ability. Now, after one shave with the Ikon, I know I love Slant razors.

The razor arrived in some utilitarian and low-spec packaging. There was no fancy literature or decoration. My immediate impression was that the manufacturers wanted to let this razor make its own statements. The razor is very well made. It is heavier than the Mekur, but it is beautifully balanced. Somehow it felt familiar in the hand too. It is a lovely looking razor and well engineered.

I lathered up with some Proraso Red, loaded up with a Dorco blade and got down to business. I didn't experience any difficulty getting the blade aligned and loved the way the blade is gripped when the handle is tightened.

The razor glides. It made two days' growth vanish with astounding ease. But what struck me most is how noisy this razor is! Purists might say that this razor provides auditory feedback. Wow, I just enjoyed the noise. In fact, I switched off my bathroom fan so that I could really appreciate the way it roared through my beard.

It cleaned up nice when it was shaken in the bowl between strokes too.

The Ikon shaved well and through three passes it felt right. I got the impression that it coped with the awkward areas on my throat a lot better than the 39C. The shave was great. Looking at me in the mirror was one smug looking, well shaved Welshman!

The Ikon is a keeper. I am very pleased with it.

I also had my first use with the iKon slant a few days ago and it went very well. I usually need four passes to get a great shave, this one took only three. No blood, no irritation. One shave shouldn't form an opinion but this razor looks like it will be a keeper for me.

Glad you are liking it. You will likely find that it is a little trickier to use than the 39c (it requires a more precise angle), but when you hit the right angle with the Ikon, it is a dream.

- Badger Bill

I have a 39C but want to try an Ikon. I have watched and listen to many videos expelling the virtues of the Ikon Slant. The feedback noise makes me salivate.

I have a 39C but want to try an Ikon. I have watched and listen to many videos expelling the virtues of the Ikon Slant. The feedback noise makes me salivate.

The feedback noise was a real surprise! I can't wait to use it again. :biggrin1: Where are Ikon based? They make a really fine razor.

24 full hours after my first shave with the iKon I still has a SAS nod could have gone out to a casual but nice dinner, no problem. I'm really very impressed.

What do you all think about the baseplate comparison photo's?

I started a thread asking which one was best a while ago and decided to get both. Ended up with the 39C and IKon. Love em both.
thats a good question on where IKon is located.

Top Bottom