What's new

The lkon thread

Depends on how much you like your SC 101.

I use one almost every day, and the more I use it, the more I like it. I'm pretty satisfied with it. Enough so, that I have no desire to try other ikon razors at this point. I can't imagine that I could possibly like them any more than I already like the 101.

That's just to show you a slightly different viewpoint.
I love mine right now for sure but got a bit of RAD at the moment.

I have an iKon SC101, an iKon Deluxe Open Comb, and an iKon Deluxe SB. I find that the Open Comb is the smoothest and the SB is the most aggressive. The SC101 is more moderate but is is adequate for a quick shave and does a pretty god job. I like to switch razors and different types of blades on a regular basis depending on the mood I am in. My wife has finally accepted my addiction of thirteen razors and 38 different types of blades.

I have an iKon SC101, an iKon Deluxe Open Comb, and an iKon Deluxe SB. I find that the Open Comb is the smoothest and the SB is the most aggressive. The SC101 is more moderate but is is adequate for a quick shave and does a pretty god job. I like to switch razors and different types of blades on a regular basis depending on the mood I am in. My wife has finally accepted my addiction of thirteen razors and 38 different types of blades.
Good to know that as well, Doc. Thanks.

I am also interested in getting the OC and SB only because this system is more realistic money wise for me as opposed to the ATT system.

I have the Shavecraft 101 and the Ikon OSS. I would recommend starting with the OSS, then picking up the other two heads at a later date. The OSS OC side is a touch more aggressive than the 101, the solid bar side a little less. Best of both worlds.

I do not think the OSS is milder, by any stretch. Perhaps the solid bar side. There is definitely a difference between the two sides on the OSS.

Some have mentioned that they find the Ikon OC and SB plates to be harsh. Dig up some old threads and see what you think.

I have the Shavecraft 101 and the Ikon OSS. I would recommend starting with the OSS, then picking up the other two heads at a later date. The OSS OC side is a touch more aggressive than the 101, the solid bar side a little less. Best of both worlds.

I do not think the OSS is milder, by any stretch. Perhaps the solid bar side. There is definitely a difference between the two sides on the OSS.

Some have mentioned that they find the Ikon OC and SB plates to be harsh. Dig up some old threads and see what you think.
Thanks, Stubblefield. Will do. Good advice.

The 101 came in from meggard razors last Saturday, they had it for $57.00 added a soap to qualify for free shipping plus I had a $5 coupon that I used. My first impression of the razor was that it had a good solid weight that is evenly distrubited. The craftsmanship looks top notch even though I believe this is one of the seconds being advertised by other vendors, the only flaw I could find was a tiny piece of the thread missing a bit of plating. It threads on and off without any issues.

So far I have shaved twice with it and I'm very impressed. In my opinion it's a mild shaver. The open comb side does get in a bit closer, but not very much. I honestly can't even tell that there is a razor blade (both tries have been with a voskhod) in it, it's that smooth for me. I'm getting bbs shaves without much effort with my usual 4 pass shaves with zero irritation.

This one is a keeper for sure and will have a permant slot in my rotation. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to a newbie, it seems almost impossible to screw up a shave with this thing as long as you use common sense. I did apply too much pressure the first time using it and ended up with a small weeper, operator error in thinking that since it was soo smooth it wasn't getting very close, I was wrong this thing takes down a 2 day growth like a champ. I will test it out with sharper blades to see how it shaves.

Last edited:
Thanks to some good feedback here, I just ordered a Ikon Bulldog II - 85mm handle from ikonrazors.com. I was having a difficult time finding them online, as several of the usual locations were sold out. I will be pairing it with a Muhle R89 head. I look forward to the enhanced grip as the Muhle looks nice but is quite slippery.

Nice review. It sounds like you have made a good choice, seems like a bit if a bargain as well. Cheers.

Let us know how it works out for you. The Ikon Bulldog handles are beautiful and should enhance the shave. Congrats.

Here are mine (both on OSS handles):

View attachment 418225

While they should be categorized as mild shavers, the Ikons are just so darn efficient that they shave like more aggressive razors. They are probably the first razor that I have used that can take Feathers on a daily basis without causing irritation. Another thing I have noticed is that many blades that do not work for me in other razors work just fine in the 101 and OSS.

I have a short heavy handle and a long heavy handle stored in my collection of "free range heads" and I find that ALL of the heads benefit from the weight of a heavier handle be it long or short

proxy.php

Long trip, ran over on time, wife got sick, had no access to WiFi...all the fun stuff associated with a road trip. However, when I returned home I had some packages waiting for me. A wonderfully replated USA Goodwill and an iKon set. A review of the Goodwill replate will come later. I received the iKon Deluxe Open Comb baseplate, OSS baseplate and the top cap (not the Shavecraft models, genuine iKon plates). No handle, but I have plenty of those. I bought this set from a very kind member in Israel.

Before I start this review, let me say that I've purchased far too many razors lately. More than I have been able to properly learn to use, or even to get wet and shave with even once. I am on a self imposed moratorium until I sort through what I have. I must devote time to my ATT M1 plate, so I can settle up with Stan and figure out which of the plates will work for me long term. I have an English Goodwill, the Importé D'Angleterre version replated by Dave at Restored Razor's, a German Original Ben Hur No. 2 along with several other English NEW varieties. I have 2 additional English Goodwill's and another razor or two that I can't even recall right now on their way from England. Way, way too much.

I had no prior intention of even looking at iKon, but the set was posted and I contacted the seller on a whim. We worked out a price that was too good to pass up. I have the Weber and the ATT set, so why not try the iKon I reasoned with myself. Try all the major stainless sets (other than Pils, Tradere and Feather, which really hold no interest for me) and figure once and for all which I like best.

So, I loaded the Deluxe OC plate (short comb for the record) with a new Voshkod. This plate is modeled after the NEW Deluxe and I was impressed that the cap even had the corner tabs; very nice detail from the original to this set. The fit and finish was very nice and the blade gap was even. I used my Wolf Whiskers brush with a superlather of Cremo and Proraso Red and went to work on 5, yes 5 days of growth. That's how downhill the trip went. The first thing I noticed was that I couldn't feel the blade, but the razor was cutting, which is always a good sign. The second thing I noticed was the razor didn't glide as smoothly as most other razors. It wasn't terrible, just a noticeable drag. I wonder if it's from the powder coating? The ATT doesn't have this draggy feeling, but back to the review.

The first pass went well and it had no problem with my 5 day growth. The second pass went just as well, with the same slight feel of drag continuing. I still could not feel the blade. The angle was very intuitive, I assume since I shave with a NEW the vast majority of the time. Against the grain on my upper lip was not an issue, nor was the other areas around my mouth. 3rd pass came and went with no issues other than the drag. So, I'm three passes into a shave with a new razor and I don't have even a weeper to show for it. This is a very positive sign.

I did my cleanup with straight Cremo Crème, which is the slickest cream I have ever found. My hope was this would make the razor glide better. No such luck. The same drag was present. I finished my cleanup, went for BBS with a new razor and only ended up with 2 weepers on my chin to show for it. Very, very small ones. So, even though the slight dragging feel gave me the impression this wasn't a great feeling shave, the results beg to differ. I had very little sting from my AS and my face feels great. I have some slight redness on my jawline, but it went away within about 30 minutes. Maybe I pressed too hard cleaning up or my face was sensitive from not shaving for so long. At any rate, I was very surprised and very pleased with the iKon OC plate.

I need to devote the next week or two to the M1 plate, but the iKon is a keeper for now. Who knows what will happen, but I am going to spend more time with it for sure. I really had an overall negative image of the iKon and had no prior interest in it, but I'm glad I bought the set. Interestingly, the OC plate is modeled after the NEW Deluxe (which we all know), and it's a dead ringer. The OSS plate is a dead ringer for the English Flat Bottom NEW, which I didn't know. This was a pleasant surprise. I held up one of my English plates side by side and its dead on. I'm not sure how much use I will have for a plate that's half OC and half safety bar, but if it shaves like an English Flat Bottom NEW, it might be a darn good plate.

Thanks for reading. I would love to hear comments and experiences from other iKon owners. Do any of you notice the dragging feeling? Is it the coating?

Thanks for the great review Jeff :thumbup: Because I have New DeLuxe I know this head like sharp blade,next time try Polsilver SI or GSB and I think the shave for sure will be more pleasant.

Top Bottom