What's new

The last tin you finished

This week I've managed to finish off a tin of Peterson UF and a tin of C&D Corncob. In retrospect I should have stocked up on the Corncob.

HU Tobacco Kelvin's Silent Secret.

proxy.php

MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake and should finish of some Gawith Chocolate Flake tonight...I'm not a fan of the Chocolate so I probably won't try anymore once I'm done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake and should finish of some Gawith Chocolate Flake tonight...I'm not a fan of the Chocolate so I probably won't try anymore once I'm done

How old/fresh is it? When I first got into smoking, I was given some Bob's Chocolate Flake with a couple of years of age on it. I ordered some and tried it fresh when I still had some of the aged stuff left over. I couldn't stand it fresh though. Aging it takes away the spiciness and bite.

How old/fresh is it? When I first got into smoking, I was given some Bob's Chocolate Flake with a couple of years of age on it. I ordered some and tried it fresh when I still had some of the aged stuff left over. I couldn't stand it fresh though. Aging it takes away the spiciness and bite.

It's fresh...given to me by my Secret Santa. Maybe I need to get some more and stash it away for a while

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It's fresh...given to me by my Secret Santa. Maybe I need to get some more and stash it away for a while

If you think that you might like it once it's mellowed out a bit, then buying an ounce or two of bulk and stashing it might not be a bad idea.

I'm curious to hear you impressions on it. I have a pound and a half of it sitting in my cellar, and I've never tried the stuff.
Well that tin I finished I smoked over the course of a year. This broken flake I have to admit is not my favorite Va. Personally I would rank it about fourth or fifth if Dunhill Flake, Best Brown and Full Virginia flake being my absolute 3 favorites just to get a sense of what I enjoy. Mclelland Christmas cheer would come after then probably union square. Now the tin note is a little musty hay and some vinegar ketchup notes. The burn can be a bit hot and has a tendency to be cigaretty and harsh if you go hard on it, so smoke this one as quietly as you can stand it and you will get some complexity out of it. I didn't find it to be that sweet to be honest at least to me, again use my preferences as an opinion base line. I haven't experienced it with a sufficient amount of aging to judge its potential. I think your doing the right thing by stashing it away for a good long time and maybe its true colors will come out. hard to pin this one down really nothing really stands out in this blend whether its predominantly red Va. or lemon etc. cant knock it for being a bad smoke it is satisfying but nothing really amuses me during the smoking session, like Dunhill Flake does for me. I find DF comes in and out with different subtle nuances of flavors I find really pleasing and captivating to smoke. I did not get such a complex experience from Union Square. Doesn't mean you wont find it to be the best thing on earth I just was not floored by this premium Va. blend.

This is great to know. I tried some the other day (pic in POTD) with a good bit of age/plume, and love it. And was wondering about fresh. Looks like I'll buy up some more at the B&M!

To be honest, I don't think I've ever finished a tin. I don't mean it as I take the 1/4 bowl left remnants and toss it in a Frankenstein jar. I mean I really don't think I ever have lol. I seem to buy more to try and always keep some of every bulk or tin purchase to age in a mason jar. I started pipe smoking in 2005 and I bought McClelland FMC, Esoterica's And So To Bed, Sutliff/Altadis Black Cordial and a few others and I have some of each still in mason jars haha.

I just realized.....I'm a hoarder of the brown leaf :cryin:

Top Bottom