What's new

The last tin you finished

I've heard meat pie is a close parallel with Penzance. I personally can't compare but I have read a lot in the past of folks equalizing the two as quite similar.
I'm out of meat pie or I'd do a side by side. I enjoyed meat pie and I enjoy Penzance. Haven't had them close enough together to compare. Meat pie has a lot more Latakia than Nightcap. Those I did back to back one night and was disappointed in the nightcap after the meat pie.

I've heard meat pie is a close parallel with Penzance. I personally can't compare but I have read a lot in the past of folks equalizing the two as quite similar.
I've heard that, but I frankly don't see it (or I guess taste it). Penzance is much smoother and higher quality. The Orientals and VA in Meat Pie just can't compare to the ones in Penzance.

If you want something Penzanceish try Plum Pudding from the Seattle Pipe Club. IMO it's closer than Meat Pie is.

My initial impression of fresh Meat Pie was that it had nothing going for it but latakia. Kind of a one note wonder. After sitting on it for a couple of years, I tried it again and was much more impressed. The latakia subsided to being part of a really good blend, instead of overpowering everything else in it.

I don't know if it's no longer being produced, or what's going on with it. If it comes back and you can cellar it for a while, it's a pretty good value for the price.

If you want something Penzanceish try Plum Pudding from the Seattle Pipe Club. IMO it's closer than Meat Pie is.

My initial impression of fresh Meat Pie was that it had nothing going for it but latakia. Kind of a one note wonder. After sitting on it for a couple of years, I tried it again and was much more impressed. The latakia subsided to being part of a really good blend, instead of overpowering everything else in it.

I don't know if it's no longer being produced, or what's going on with it. If it comes back and you can cellar it for a while, it's a pretty good value for the price.

One other oft-mentioned Penzance similar blend is C&D Star of the East.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've heard that, but I frankly don't see it (or I guess taste it). Penzance is much smoother and higher quality. The Orientals and VA in Meat Pie just can't compare to the ones in Penzance.
Agreed- that being said, it is a fine smoke and easy to obtain. When I can, I will be stocking up on it.

Agreed- that being said, it is a fine smoke and easy to obtain. When I can, I will be stocking up on it.
My thoughts as well. Comparing Meat Pie to Penzance only leads you to see it as lacking. No, it's not Penzance. Nothing is, really (although Plum Pudding is a lot closer). Meat Pie is a very nice blend that ages well and smokes dry and cool. Enjoy it for what it is, don't bemoan what it's not.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My thoughts as well. Comparing Meat Pie to Penzance only leads you to see it as lacking. No, it's not Penzance. Nothing is, really (although Plum Pudding is a lot closer). Meat Pie is a very nice blend that ages well and smokes dry and cool. Enjoy it for what it is, don't bemoan what it's not.
Exactly. Penzance isn't Balkan Sobanie (or vice versa) but both are great. I need to try that Plum Pudding one day.

20170223_160452.jpg

Just recently killed a tin of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. I think it's an awesome tasting and attractive looking flake.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom