Hogmanay Shave

A comfortable (60% :blink:) All Italian Shave. :biggrin1:

Prep: Splash of warm water on face
Brush: Omega 10015
Soap: Proraso Red Tube
Razor: 1946 Gillette Tech on Bakelite handle
Blade: Silver Star (7)

$SOTD-Gillette1946Tech_2016-12-31.jpg

The replated nickel handle, now on my 1920s Gillette Old Type, came from this gold 1946 Tech. After [MENTION=89729]TobyC[/MENTION]'s recent admission that he'd converted from being an Old Type guy to a Techie... I thought I'd try the Tech out (which I hadn't originally intended to do).
All I can say is that it was a reasonable shave, nothing to write home about. Since joining B&B just over a year ago apparently my appetite for more aggressive razors has grown.
The more danger, the more fun. :devil: :laugh:

[MENTION=106012]1Cal[/MENTION]

That's an oval slot with a light plastic handle, I've been using a Canadian triangle slot with a solid brass Durham Duplex handle, apples and oranges! Still, I say use it for a few days, or at least till the blade quits, you may become assimilated! :w00t:

That's an oval slot with a light plastic handle, I've been using a Canadian triangle slot with a solid brass Durham Duplex handle, apples and oranges!
I much prefer the shave of the milder open-slot Tech, which is strange because I much prefer aggressive. The oval-slot Tech is so "satisfying" because only perfect angle control will give a perfect shave. The triangle-slot Tech is much more lenient and easy to shave with.

SOTD 31 December 2016
Year 1 Week 22 Day 6

At today I can't think of a better New Year's Eve shave. Happy new year to all Wetshavers!

Pre: hot shower
Brush: Omega 6793 LE
Razor: Garibaldi
Blade:
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th
AS: Saponificio Varesino 70th Aftershave / Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter
proxy.php

Have a wonderful shave and a fresh day to all gents!

From tomorrow 1st of January 2017 until the ending of the month I will use only my Super Speed 1972 gifted from [MENTION=50233]SteveWY[/MENTION].
It's my birthday month so..,

Enjoy a happy new year to all!

Jan 1: Happy NEW Year

Lather: Proraso White
Brush: Omega 40033 (with O-rings)
Razor: Gillette NEW "Raised Flat Bottom"
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Permasharp Stainless [33]
Balm: Proraso White Crema Dopo Barba

Happy NEW Year to everyone. It's NEW Year's Day, so the razor must be a Gillette NEW. Love this razor. I don't use it enough because I have too many good razors, but this one can easily be the only razor I use for life.

The first 6 days of the B&B January Soap Theme Month are dedicated to inexpensive soaps, and today's shave definitely qualifies without compromising.

It's no secret I love Proraso White, an under $10 soap at any pharmacy around here. The brush was an Italian boar, the best $7 boar brush on the planet and definitely goes with the budget theme.

Finished with the White balm and I'm ready to kiss people when wishing them Happy NEW Year.

proxy.php

Greetings mio amicos and Felice Anno Nuovo!

I am embarking on a year of monthly themed shaves of the month in which I stay with one razor, on blade, one soap, and one brush for the entire month. See my thread, http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/509506-My-2017-Resolutions-and-Shaves-of-the-Month

I will self-limit my products but I will endeavor to include at least one Italian product per month to stay connected with you here. I hope you will follow along. I am borrowing the idea of a "Fixed 4" from 1Cal and we will join together for the month of March. My January SOTM:

January 2017 Shave of the Month...

Razor: Co.Ci.Na. "Il Soldotino" ("Little Soldier"). This sweet razor is a replica of a Gillette ball-end Tech produced for and issued to the Italian Army in the 1970's. Mine was a gift from member @Mostho.

Blade: Atra Superior Platinum. The ASP was my first favorite and 100 blade purchase about 4 years ago and still a top go-to blade for me.

Brush
: Badger & Blade Essential Boar. I have two of these gems produced by Omega for B&B. I celebrate my 5 years on the forum.

Soap: The venerable Mitchell's Wool Fat triple-milled soap. I really appreciate the lanolin and other goodness of this soap in the winter.

I will allow for some personal choice in my post-shave but I am starting out with Pinaud Clubman AS because it was my first old school AS I started with. Here is my SOTM set up...

attachment.php

SOTD (The first of 2017)
A wonderful (60% :blink:) All Italian Shave. :biggrin1:

Razor: Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant
Blade: Silver Star (8)

$SOTD-PBOCS_2016-12-30.jpg :001_wub:

Happy New Year everyone! :sorcerer:

SOTD (The first of 2017)
A wonderful (60% :blink:) All Italian Shave. :biggrin1:

Razor: Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant
Blade: Silver Star (8)

View attachment 713596 :001_wub:

Happy New Year everyone! :sorcerer:

Happy New Year Cal! Seeing your above SOTD reminded me I was planning on getting a Phoenix Bakelite this year. And I just joined in on the 2017 Shaving Purchase Sabbatical! Bloody hell I say!

:001_rolle
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley ~Robert Burns

No doubt! I have been stating I had nothing on my need or want list but completely forgot about the Phoenix. Maybe I will add to my gift wish list for my birthday.

Jan 6: B&B Soap Theme - Inexpensive Soaps

Lather: Cella (stick)
Brush: Omega 50068 "Bambino"
Razor: Rapira Platinum Lux
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Permasharp Stainless [35]

Last day for the inexpensive soap theme and I went with my ace, my hands-down favorite inexpensive soap - Cellllllllaaaaaaaa!

I made this Cella stick I made last summer so I can take it with me on trips. I have a bunch commercial sticks (Palmolive, Arko, Speick and Tabac) and frankly, I much prefer Cella soap to any of them, so why not take it with me on vacation? I also have an used Valobra stick that I'll try during Soap Stick week.

In keeping with the inexpensive theme, I used my Rapira Platinum Lux razor (about $5), my homemade mentholated bay rum witch hazel, and the Omega Bambino (about $8). Cella and an Italian boar brush go together like Nutella and peanut butter.

My criterion for "inexpensive" soaps was less than about $10 per unit. In retrospect, I should have used only one Proraso and substituted a RazoRock soap. Recapping the inexpensive soaps I used (5 shaves):

* Proraso White
* Arko stick grated into a tub
* Proraso Red
* Williams Mug Soap (vintage 2000-2002)
* Cella (stick)

All great shaves with soaps that punch well above their price points.

proxy.php

Sorry guys to be not partecipative as usual but I'm facing some family problems. My wife is at the hospital and with two small kids I've a lot to do an barely the time to post some twitter SOTDs.
Im shaving since the 1st of January with the marvelous razor SUperSpeed made on January 1972, my birth month, gifted to me from [MENTION=50233]SteveWY[/MENTION]. And the more I shave (with Gillette Blades of course) the more I feel why this razor is an icon and considered from many a must have and probably the best razor in the world.
said that and thanking you all for your understanding if any delays are occurring, this is one of my rare nights haves, falling under the day after since i shaved around midnight. NOt as the usual routin early in the morning.

SOTD 7 January 2017
Year 1 Week 23 Day 6

Very cold days around with snow and strong wind and exceptional gusts.
Sad days because my wife is still at the hospital since more than 10 days.

Starting today with a BlsckBeard the second favorite tobacco scent from WSP.
As expected a more than excellent shave with a thick creamy protective lather.
Can't be more happy.

The humongous Omega 102 aka "scannatassi" made an excellent job. Ruling a such rich lather is not a breeze. It made it!

This month continue with the lead by the great Gillette SuperSpeed made the same month and year of my Birthday, January 1972.

Ending good and classic with a fantastic matching of all italian stuff like Denim and Saponificio Varesino Illipe Butter.

Pre: hot shower
Brush: Omega 102 "scannatassi"
Razor: Gillette Super Speed 72
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (4)
Soap: WSP Blackbeard
Aftershave: Pinaud Reserve / Saponificio Varesino Illipe Butter

proxy.php

Have a wonderful shave and a fresh day to all gents!

Top Bottom