What's new

The Intercontinental All Italian Shave-Off

Why guys don't post some of your Italian shaves?

Well I'm going American soap (everything else is Italian) and I'm very very very impressed.

Pre: Proraso Red Preshave
Brush: Omega 49
Razor: Universal Half Blade
Blades: Derby Extra (1)
Soap: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CaD
AS: Floid Blue / Stirling Barbershop
Music: Gege Telesforo
EDT: L'Erbolario Corteccia

proxy.php

​Week 13 Day 6

In this week from I will use only American Soaps.

Going for a BayRum shave today. My great companion is the Stirling Soaps.

Excellence, quality shaves and great scents. This BayRum is strong and pleasant.

For today I'm going with Universal Shavette but whole blade. Needing to fine adjust my mustaches for this Movember. I hope I'm acceptable with mustsches. If not I'm at least involved in a good cause.

I dared today with Feather razor blades. They are the sharpest around and with a mild razor they are simply stunning. Hoping it will last. Feather razor blades are not the more laying blades around.

Proraso Omega today to cope a great soap. Done.

Wonderful post shave with a good Splash of Floid and the great BayRum Balm from Stirling. I love this matching.

Pre: Proraso Red Preshave
Brush: Proraso Omega
Razor: Universal Whole Blade
Blades: Feather (1)
Soap: Stirling Soaps BayRum
AS: Floid Blue / Stirling BayRum
Music: De Gregori canta Dylan
EDT: L'Erbolario Corteccia

proxy.php

I am going international this week! The only Italian product I am used today is RazoRock Nonno Michelino (Sandalwood) soap. Today's shave...

Pre: Shower and face wash
Brush: Semogue Owner's Club natural boar, cherry handle (Portugal)
Soap: RazoRock Nonno Michelino (Italy)
Razor: '59 Gillette Adjustable set on 7 (USA)
Blade: Voskhod (Russia)

Prep: splash of hot water on face
Lather: Acqua di Parma Colonia
Brush: Omega 40033 "Mighty Midget"
Razor: Italian travel razor (unknown brand)
Blade: PolSilver SI [58]
Finish: Floid Blue with way too much added menthol

Went for another Italian-themed shave today, and what better time than to try out my new Italian travel razor. There are no markings of any sort other than "Made in Italy" on the handle. The razor is very cheaply made out of thin stamped sheet metal. The handle is very cool looking but short.

How does it shave? Really well actually - it reminds me of my English flat-bottom Tech. This razor is more aggressive than a regular Tech, but it's pretty smooth. The handle, however, is too short to be useful. It's a slippery plexiglass tube with no knurling. Midway through the first pass, I was looking for another handle. It needed to be very light so as not to unbalance the very light head, so I went with a hollow Yuma handle. Perfect shave once I switched the handle.
For lather, I went with the king of Italian creams, the discontinued Acqua di Parma Colonia. Scent and performance always makes me smile. It'll be a sad day when I run out. The Omega 40033 is finally fully broken in, and had no trouble holding 4 passes of lather.

Prep: splash of hot water on face
Lather: Acqua di Parma Colonia
Brush: Omega 40033 "Mighty Midget"
Razor: Italian travel razor (unknown brand)
Blade: PolSilver SI [58]
Finish: Floid Blue with way too much added menthol

Went for another Italian-themed shave today, and what better time than to try out my new Italian travel razor. There are no markings of any sort other than "Made in Italy" on the handle. The razor is very cheaply made out of thin stamped sheet metal. The handle is very cool looking but short.

How does it shave? Really well actually - it reminds me of my English flat-bottom Tech. This razor is more aggressive than a regular Tech, but it's pretty smooth. The handle, however, is too short to be useful. It's a slippery plexiglass tube with no knurling. Midway through the first pass, I was looking for another handle. It needed to be very light so as not to unbalance the very light head, so I went with a hollow Yuma handle. Perfect shave once I switched the handle.
For lather, I went with the king of Italian creams, the discontinued Acqua di Parma Colonia. Scent and performance always makes me smile. It'll be a sad day when I run out. The Omega 40033 is finally fully broken in, and had no trouble holding 4 passes of lather.

That is a nice shave Rudy! Tell us about that Acqua di Parma Colonia.

About the next shave off week I'd like to launch the theme named italian wood.
Woody for the soap, for the balm, for the splash, for the wooden handle of your broom or you razor. Feel free and have fun.

Woody scents are in many many soaps, sometimes subtle tones, sometimes warmer and beefy.
Any soap/balm/splash has it's own cuvee or mono wood scent. IN any case a wood tones is invigorating and very male.
Woody is also forestry for me, becasue wood is made (luckily) by the trees. Trees. Wood. Whatever in a free fly of the mind.

So for the next week anything that is woody or has wood in the name or have something that resemble wood scents or a woody place... Whatever! Feel free to post here you feelings about that.

Oh yes, and italians make excellent soaps with woody scents, complex or simple woody scents.
But italians make also many masterpieces with wood (instruments? Ticked Art pieces? ticked Furniture? Ticked. and so on but... That's another story). And generally speaking woody is coping well with leathery scents. And from wood we have many precious resins like Manna or sugars like syrups. Wood is in our genes gents. We are part of the trees in a way or another...

And look how cool is italian for the names: Ebano is for Ebony, Quercia is for Oak, Frassino is for the Birch, Acero is Maple.
:)

For this week I will choose among these soaps, but freely... don't take it seriously. Just for the fun of a shaving experience.

PannaCrema Ebano (ebony)
PannaCrema SanFrancesco (Sandalwood, Frankincense, Mirrh and other)
PannaCrema Labdano (Labdanum is a resin from a wood, lovely male scent, complicated)
Proraso Red (the red Sandalwood Staple from my shave den)
Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia (Another resin coming from italian trees, a magical resin)

and... let's see whate else!

Enjoy!!

PS: juggling with italian hardware and other software.

I forgot my shave of today 06/11

​
Going today with Captains Choice North. The wonderful scent is matching the rich later and the distinctive post shave feeling. I love this soap.

Again I'm shaving with Universal Shavette whole blade. Nothing to say except that I love it.

Astra SP blades are for the shavette. I don't know but they were not my favorite blades for a lot of time and for some reasons.
Now in using into the shavette a I'm wondering why I don't use them more.

Omega Italian Flag boar is the one that today provides a proud lather that can last. It's my Italian Broom. And I love it.

Fresh great post shave with a good Splash of Floid and the fresher Stirling Glacial Obsidian.

Pre: Proraso White Preshave
Brush: Omega Italian Flag
Razor: Universal Whole Blade
Blades: Astra SP (2)
Soap: Captain's Choice North
AS: Floid Blue / Stirling Glacial Obsidian
Music: Funked Up! - Candy Dulfer
EDT: L'Erbolario Periplo

proxy.php

That is a nice shave Rudy! Tell us about that Acqua di Parma Colonia.
To anyone who has never tried original formula Acqua di Parma Colonia, you're missing out. This has become far and away the best cream I've ever used (but I haven't tried XPEC yet). I haven't tried the new formula, the one that does not say Colonia, but I've heard it pales by comparison.

Less than a peanut-sized blob gets you 4 easy passes of lather, along with that mesmerizing scent that just screams classy. It's bright and Italian; definitely not an old man's scent.

There are other ways of getting the Colonia scent in a modern soap. RazoRock XXX is really close, as is Mickey Lee Soapworks Colonia di Agrumi and Saponificio Varesino's new limited edition soap made for Asylum Brush Works.

For splashes, Fine Italian Citrus absolutely nails it (but has been out-of-stock for over a year - rumored to be back next year). RazoRock XXX and Folsom & Co Capri are also Colonia scents.

About the next shave off week I'd like to launch the theme named italian wood.
Woody for the soap, for the balm, for the splash, for the wooden handle of your broom or you razor
Well, today I shaved with an Semogue Italian Barber brush (Made in Portugal) that used to have a wood handle, until I broke it turning it down on the lathe so now the brush has a plastic handle. I don't think that qualifies :001_cool:

Last edited:
And this is my today 09/11/2015 shave.

​n this week Italian woody soaps.

In this days I will have not much time for my essays... I'm sorry!

A hint of sandalwood this morning with Proraso Red Preshave. Excellent.

Starting well my morning shave with PannaCrema Ebano. Fresh woody scents at the best. Performance at the top as expected.

Omega 49 is my safe lather Harbor. Nobody is like it capable of doing great lather for three passes.

Merkur 34C HD is the daily razor that anyone should have. Loaded with Feather blades gives smooth shave.

Ending with a great matching on my shave den. A great Splash and a great Balm. Proraso and Stirling Balm Ozark Mountain.

​Pre: Proraso Red Preshave
Brush: Omega 49
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blades: Feather Super Stainless (3)
Soap: PannaCrema Ebano
AS: Proraso Green Splash
Music: Gege Telesforo

proxy.php

Sorry to say I just can't keep up with our shaving photojournalists! I don't keep a phone handy nor have the time to compose photos daily.

I am going with "woody" this week. So far since Saturday I have been using RazoRock Nonno Michelino sandalwood shaving soap and Master Challenge AS which has a musky and amber scent that suggests woods to me. A great fall scent. Today was classic Old Spice original AS. Yes, I know that is not a true would but I think there is something like cedar or juniper in there. Plus technically cinnamon comes from the bark of a tree!

I just ripped apart my shave den form a complete bathroom remodel and I packed away three boxes of shaving products so I am staying minimal for the next few weeks while sharing the main bathroom with my wife. Two Omega brushes (neither have wooden handles), two vintage Gillette razors, just two soaps, two AS. This will be fun just staying with simple things, much like our fathers and grandfathers did! They would think I was crazy if they saw me box up about 20 soaps and creams, 15 AS bottles, a dozen razors and a couple hundred blades.

You're going minimal Steve. Me too. With some of the absolute better italian shaving products.
​

Brush: Omega S-brush
Razor: Co.Ci.Na il Soldatino Razor
Blades: Bolzano SuperInox (1)
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia

Music: BBC World News

proxy.php

Stefano, what is the S-brush? I love the classic look of it with a natural wood handle and natural unbanded blonde boar bristles.

Stefano, what is the S-brush? I love the classic look of it with a natural wood handle and natural unbanded blonde boar bristles.

Steve, this is the last attempt from Omega to have a synthetic boar. It is smaller than classic brooms, I think you will like it. I like it so much that I can use it with satisfactory results with practically any soap or cream.
Beech satin handle.
It has enough backbone for a synthetic. Yes it's not like a boar indeed, but has its own good personality. Again I like it and it's a staple in my den.

In few words, one of the best bang for the buck in synthetics IMO. Few bucks and rocks!

Top Bottom