What's new

Tatara Ti Care

Yesterday, I sent an email to Tatara with questions about my new Masamune Ti. I received my answers within a few hours, and they may be of interest. To me, this is real customer service.

Here's the text of the email I received:

Hello Bob,
Pleasure to talk to you again. Please look at my answers below.
- Is it normal for the screwing on the Ti to be less smooth than on the Dark? Yes, Titanium is more "gripy" than Stainless Steel, and the PVD coating on the Dark is lubricating.
- Am I right that the crunch is the bending blade contacting the top plate and the baseplate? Yes
- Can the tightening strain the Ti threads? Should I be concerned about galling or stripping? No, the Titanium used on the handle and cap is the same grade, and since they have the same hardness level they won't damage.
- I rinse and dry my razor after each use. Is any other care recommended for the Ti? Should the threads be lubricated, and if so how and with what product? You don't need extra care for titanium, in fact it is more resistant to oxidation than SS. You can lubricate it with some nonaggressive oil (olive oil, e.g.), but it is not necessary per se.
- I’d like to experiment with balance and weight by mixing and matching titanium and stainless-steel parts. If parts made of different metals are screwed together, could the Ti threads be damaged? When you screw different metals, the harder one, in this case, Titanium, may damage the softer one, Stainless Steel. You can still do it, but be extra careful and don't force when screwing the handle with the cap.
Hope I could help.
Thank you,
Luís Oliveira
+351910546597

[email protected]
www.tatararazors.com
Porto, Portugal

Yesterday, I sent an email to Tatara with questions about my new Masamune Ti. I received my answers within a few hours, and they may be of interest. To me, this is real customer service.

Here's the text of the email I received:

Hello Bob,
Pleasure to talk to you again. Please look at my answers below.
- Is it normal for the screwing on the Ti to be less smooth than on the Dark? Yes, Titanium is more "gripy" than Stainless Steel, and the PVD coating on the Dark is lubricating.
- Am I right that the crunch is the bending blade contacting the top plate and the baseplate? Yes
- Can the tightening strain the Ti threads? Should I be concerned about galling or stripping? No, the Titanium used on the handle and cap is the same grade, and since they have the same hardness level they won't damage.
- I rinse and dry my razor after each use. Is any other care recommended for the Ti? Should the threads be lubricated, and if so how and with what product? You don't need extra care for titanium, in fact it is more resistant to oxidation than SS. You can lubricate it with some nonaggressive oil (olive oil, e.g.), but it is not necessary per se.
- I’d like to experiment with balance and weight by mixing and matching titanium and stainless-steel parts. If parts made of different metals are screwed together, could the Ti threads be damaged? When you screw different metals, the harder one, in this case, Titanium, may damage the softer one, Stainless Steel. You can still do it, but be extra careful and don't force when screwing the handle with the cap.
Hope I could help.
Thank you,
Luís Oliveira
+351910546597

[email protected]
www.tatararazors.com
Porto, Portugal
Wow. Yeah. Someone is actually reading, thinking, and replying in a knowledgeable manner!

Top Bottom