What's new

Talk to me about paper...

Being a reborn newb with fountain pens, I have been making out okay with my run of the mill note pads, but I realize there is a whole world of paper out there. I want to know what I will get out of purchasing better papers...? Will it be form or function...? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated...

Bad paper makes for feathering and all sorts of crap. For a good notebook, got for a Rhodia or a Quo Vadis with Clairfountaine paper.
Avoid Moleskin at all costs.

Why? I've never had an issue with it, and I have several items by them.

I only have a couple notebooks, but both feathers heavily with my broader nibs, quite annoying. They are fine with finer nibs that isn't too wet.

With regards to Moleskins, I think it depends on the batch. I have had Moleskins that were fine, and some that promoted feathering terribly. I now avoid them and go for Rhodia / Clairefontaine, which is consistently good.

I purchased and used a 3-pack of Moleskine Cahier notebooks when I first got into fountain pens. They weren't a big problem, but they were far from ideal. Feathering was moderate and with some inks it was pretty bad. The pages are thin and ink tends to bleed through (the words always showed through), so I could only use one side of a page. I really liked their construction and the price wasn't too bad, but the paper just didn't work well with my pens and ink.

Now I just take my class notes in a Rhodia side stapled notebook. They're a little more expensive and they don't have as many sheets in them, but in my mind it's more than made up by the quality of the paper and the fact that I can use both sides of a page.

Moleskines are terribly inconsistent, mainly because their paper is produced in several different mills in different parts of the world. I think the biggest problem is the feathering and bleedthrough. It breaks my heart to hear when people have to limit their pen & ink combination to suit their notebook. Good paper makes sooo much difference, in both the writing experience and how it makes the ink look. The absorbency effects how well the ink shades, dries, smudges, etc.

You really can't go wrong with Rhodia or Clairefontaine. Clairefontaine is a little thicker and a tad smoother, although Rhodia just came out with some new premium notepads that feel a lot like Clairefontaine too. They're both part of the same parent company and the quality of the paper is extremely consistent and good. And I'm not just saying that as a retailer, but as a regular user! Once you go nice paper, you'll never want to switch back! :)

From reading another thread on paper, Nemo suggested to try Staples "Sustainable Earth" product Eco paper. I picked up a 8.5 X 11 double pad and a tear out note book, 6 X 8. This paper is made from recycled sugar cane pulp. It is very smooth and thin, with no bleed through. Not to mention inexpensive, both were $3.49 each.
I do believe this just resolved my paper issue...Thanks guys.

From reading another thread on paper, Nemo suggested to try Staples "Sustainable Earth" product Eco paper. I picked up a 8.5 X 11 double pad and a tear out note book, 6 X 8. This paper is made from recycled sugar cane pulp. It is very smooth and thin, with no bleed through. Not to mention inexpensive, both were $3.49 each.
I do believe this just resolved my paper issue...Thanks guys.

I will check them out tomorrow. I have had good luck with www.quill.com ruled note pads. I've only tried the yellow ones but plan on getting the other colors. I haven't had any feathering with it.

http://www.staples.com/Sustainable-Earth-by-Staples-Notebook-8-1-2x11/product_749563

these are the ones I've tried

http://www.quill.com/quill-brand-premium-series-ruled-pads/cbs/031179.html

I also got a journal from officemax it was only 11 usd. Ive written on it with different noodlers inks with no feathering. I will use it to keep work notes.

I also got a journal from officemax it was only 11 usd. Ive written on it with different noodlers inks with no feathering. I will use it to keep work notes.

I likewise picked up a journal from OfficeMax a couple of weeks ago, along with some stationary that was on sale (Canterbury, just for writing to those relatives who still use snail-mail). The journal was $11USD, nothing to brag about really, just something to scribble my thoughts in. Figured I'd give it a go and if I keep it up, I'll get a nicer one in the future. It has fairly thick pages, lined on both sides, with silver-gray lines that don't interfere with the visibility/clarity of the text. 100 pages.

I write in it with my Sheaffer Triumph Imperial and Noodler's Bad Blue Heron. The Sheaffer puts down a thick, wet line and the BBH ink seems pretty wet. But I get no bleedthrough or feathering, so I can use both sides of each page.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I happened to come across Rhodia pads a few years ago, and so far, for me they are the best paper for fountain writing. The best price so far I have found at Dick Blick's art supply. The large pad (8.25x11.75) is $6.75 and the smaller (6x8.25) is $4.13.

I happened to come across Rhodia pads a few years ago, and so far, for me they are the best paper for fountain writing. The best price so far I have found at Dick Blick's art supply. The large pad (8.25x11.75) is $6.75 and the smaller (6x8.25) is $4.13.

I thought the Rhodia pads would be outrageous, but that's not too bad, will have to give them a shot...

Top Bottom