What's new

Talc as an aftershave

I use the Pinaud talc by simply putting a small amount of it on a Marvy goat hair brush and dust the back of my neck with it. Must say that in hot climates this seems to work very well
I just dab a little on my fingers and slide it onto my cheeks and lower lip, then put a bit more on my hand and apply it gently to my throat. No inhaling as far as I can tell.

remember that the talc which increases cancer rates is the stone talc, starch based talc is basicly safe,

Stone talc, hmm have to keep it away from my stones. I have a few tins of vintage talc, Avon and rawleighs. I use that while playing with toys painted with lead.

Just to smash a little thing called cancer... You breathe cancer everyday, it's a yeast / fungus, and surely there are things that breaks down your immunesystem, like talc, although not as much these days as in the older days, where there was still asbestos in it, there isn't anymore :) But those things can surely make your body more of a target, but in the end, it works like all other types of yeast, it feeds on Carbs!!! So stop eating all the crap that turns into glucose in the body, bread, pasta, rice, candy, soda, (Careful with too much fruit, that will also give you fatty-liver from the fructose), and you'll be fine :) Also avoiding the mentioned "food" items, also prevents all the other known folk-diseases, diabetes, obesity, arthritis, asthma, pcos, osteoporosis, heart diseases etc... There is too much mentioning, of these 100.000 products that can cause cancer, but no, it's how you feed it that matters, you either feed yourself to live, or you feed yourself into diseases, quite simple, yet a thing people don't wanna realize, and the medical industry hates it if you realize it, cause that = Less money...

I use it occasionally. I put a small amount on my hand, rub my hands together and rub my face and neck. No issues with breathing it at all. You only need a tiny amount. I don’t use the tinted talc. It shows up on my collars.

When I first started using double edged razors i used to get razor burn occasionally in talc will kill it immediately.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I often pair cheap bay rum and Pinaud Clubman talc. It gives that barber shop smell so many seem to be chasing. Stephan talc is another quality product, but it hasn't got that iconic scent as does Clubman.

Does your vintage talc ever seem to suffer with age? I always wondered about that.

I have vintage Colgate aftershave talc from the 1940s or 50s. Tin is full. Smells as fresh and feels as smooth and dry as if it were put on stores shelves yesterday. With that said, given the dangers of vintage talcs with the asbestos issue (which I think is a little overblown), I seldom use it, favoring a 5 year-old bottle of modern asbestos-free Clubman talc instead.

I have vintage Colgate aftershave talc from the 1940s or 50s. Tin is full. Smells as fresh and feels as smooth and dry as if it were put on stores shelves yesterday. With that said, given the dangers of vintage talcs with the asbestos issue (which I think is a little overblown), I seldom use it, favoring a 5 year-old bottle of modern asbestos-free Clubman talc instead.
That's so cool! I would buy some, but I'd hate to use it up.

Apparently men used to use talc or shaving powder regularly. In a 1930s Ellery Queen short story, "The Adventure of the African Traveler," a man's shaving gear is a clue. One of Ellery's students in an applied criminology class concludes that the murdered man had a mistress who lovingly applied his talc after he shaved, because his face powder was smooth and even, and there was no applicator pad in his shaving gear. If he had used his fingers, the powder would be streaked. Ellery demolishes this by pointing out that the dead man's shaving cream tube does have a pad inside the cap. He says that many men "in these degenerate days" use a pad instead of smoothing the stuff on with their fingers.

Also, I've read, as late as the '50s there were dispensing machines in men's public bathrooms that delivered a packet of talc, either white or tinted.

I did, J&J Baby Talcum Powder.

I felt my face looked like that of a Geisha, white. That is the reason I'd rather use an alcohol based or balm aftershave.

Rose water makes a nice aftershave. I like to mix rose water with witch hazel.

You can apply shaving talc with a horsehair brush or duster. You don't need a lot.

Cancer risk comes from asbestos, some talcum powders were contaminated with it, though not all. Cancer risk is more of a concern for someone with occupational exposure for hours each day. Most modern powders don't have talc or if they do, it is safe. Of course, you don't want to breathe it in directly, so just try to avoid that.

Robert's (from Italy) is a good brand. They also offer rose water.

1607025271059.png1607025388504.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom