What's new

Taking the step..Larry's unseen deal!

Well guys, the time has come for me to try out a straight!
I've been DE shaving for a full year now. Learned alot, bought alot. Since the beginning of my adventure I've always wanted to try a straight razor. I even bought a cheap leather strop without having a straight razor! So when I came upon Larry's website (Whippeddog) I figured it was time to start!

I went with a sight unseen deal with a Balsa strop. I, as mentioned above, already have a leather strop. I found out Larry is a great guy and really is helping me out. After I made the payment he told me he would send me a Clauss half hollow razor with black scales.

I'm anxiously waiting for the razor to arrive. In the meantime I'm studying all the stickies/Wiki pages and shave manual Larry send me.

Any advice on what I really really should absolutely not forget when I start my first straight shave?

Well, you won't go wrong with that deal or anything from Larry. As far as first shave advice, since it's not that long ago for me and I remember it well, try to relax and respect (but don't fear) the blade. And, as everyone says, don't go for total beard removal in one pass - go for reduction and do a couple passes, with the grain and across the grain. Hold off on against the grain and you may find you don't need that at all, even after your proficient and comfortable. The first few shaves, I thought "how the hell do I stop my hand from shaking and why do people do this?" and it didn't take long at all before I started to relax and enjoy and now I'm completely nick/weeper/irritation free. I think I got more blood from DE shaves, actually...

I started straight shaving just over two weeks ago. Don't worry, it really isn't as hard as it seems (at least that is what I found).
Also have Larry's Sight Unseen Deal, although I must admit I only really shave with my Boker or my Dovo. The blade from Larry is wicked sharp though.
Enjoy and good luck :thumbsup:

The advice I should have listened to (and did not at first) is to relax and enjoy the experience without getting caught up in whether or not you can do all the strokes comfortably or get the same bbs result you've become accustomed to with your DE. I gave myself more razor burn and nicks than I needed to and at times experienced frustration instead of enjoyment because I focused on measurable results instead of staying in the moment.

Best advice I can give is practice stropping with a butter knife (so you don't cut the bejeezus out of it), stretch the skin well, don't be too afraid and enjoy!

Also, be aware you'll most likely experience "Newbie Dull Blade Syndrome". Due to technique, you can get a bunch of pulling and tugging so don't worry. After a few straight shaves you'll get a bit better and it will feel like the razor is getting magically sharper.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll make sure to practice stropping and ofcourse enjoy the very first shave! Can't wait for my razor to show in the mail.

As for questions, I have one left before I start this great experience; Do I rinse the blade, or should I wipe of the lather and whisker buildup on a towel/rubber ring?

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!

I rinse the blade being careful not to bash the edge on the sink or tap.

Enjoy the ride and don't forget to breath.

Do I rinse the blade, or should I wipe of the lather and whisker buildup on a towel/rubber ring?

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!
I prefer to rinse. I hold the razor under running water with the edge pointing down and the toe also pointing down-I can shave without getting the scales or pin area wet.

Welcome aboard. You are in for the ride of your life. At least close anyway.

Larry is really a stand up guy and will certainly be sending you a good razor.

Charlie

Top Bottom