What's new

SR1 to the Rescue

So...seeing as how I'm new to wetshaving in general (three weeks), I said what the heck and ordered a Feather Popular (DE) and a Parker SR1 (Shavette). I've been using the Popular for the last few weeks and can get a beautiful shave with no cuts.

Today the SR1 arrived....what a difference in engineering (NOT for the better, it is definitely a cheap straight, but a good way to find if I enjoy the concept).

Day 1:
I am using Derby blades that came in the "everything" pack from Westcoastshaving at the recommendation of others due to their forgiveness.
AOS oil, cream and ASB and a AOS mini badger (got the starter pack).

Pass 1: WTG
The oil didn't seem to work well with these particular blades as it has with my feathers in the past....felt as thought the razor was gumming up against my face rather than sliding (maybe due to less sharp blades?). The first pass had less than spectacular results, removing nearly no hair (admittedly I was being a bit sheapish with the angle, rather than cut myself repeatedly).

Pass 2: WTG
Scrubbed off what oil I could, relathered with the cream and started over again with a steaper angle. Much more successful, though I'm still not sold on the blade choice. After finishing this (still no cuts....Yay), I had significant beard reduction but definitely not a work day quality shave.

Currently giving my face some time to rest (More than two passes wasn't happening without significant discomfort) and will try again either late tonight or tomorrow morning. So far I like the concept but find think I made a poor choice with the blades. The shavette has met my expectation (not high given the price), but if continuing I would like to find a heftier razor.

I'll update you after my next attempt. I also received a better brush (Baxter silvertip and TOBS software) though I'm fighting the urge to play with more than one variable until I have it sorted out.

Did you just use the oil for the first pass? It's a pre-shave oil, and not meant to be used by itself.

Nope used it first and then added the lather over the top like usual, but the razor seemed to stick to it (think tacky paper). I haven't had this problem before but have heard people mention it with the AOS pre-shave oil.

I'll agree that the Parker's are a big difference from a quality DE razor, but for a really low price disposable straight, they can't be beat. If you compare them to the Dovo disposable, which costs lots more, there is no comparison. The Parker has a stainless steel holder which locks that half a DE blade in tight. The Parker disposable straights are probably at the top of the line for low cost disposables. Of course they can't compare at all to either the Feather or the Kai straights which would compare to any nice regular straight.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I actually think the parker is quite well made. I think the scales make it seem shoddy.

Kent, I think your right about the scales. The fact that I needed pliars to open it because they are too tight for the blade end was a huge initial turnoff. Like I said, I got exactly what I expected for the price. The popular is a functional tool but nothing fancy as well. I figured for $20 each I couldn't go wrong trying a DE and a straight to see with direction I wanted to go. The blade doesn't shift, wiggle, or jiggle, which is definitely a plus as far as I'm concerned.

I should add that I keep a goatee, which results in less service area to shave (not fun), but without it I look 12.

Shave #2 (Yes, about 5 hours betweeen)
I did such a poor job the first time that their was still plenty of hair to remove. Also skipped the pre-shave oil this time all-together.

Pass #1
WTG
No issues, used a fair amount of pressure (not sure if this is due to Derby blades, the light razor, or if this is normal compared to using a DE).

Pass #2
XTG
A little trickier, luckily it seems the Derby's saved me. I hit a couple sticking spots where I thought for sure I cut myself but no blood followed. Again more pressue than I expected.

Pass #3
ATG
Only on the cheeks and jawline. I couldn't quite figure out the hand placement to do it across the neck and lower chin and didn't want to ruin what was a good experience. Will try for this tomorrow.

Overall, it went quite well. I would consider the results to be quite a smooth shave with moderate razor burn. Despite my complaints about the weight, I found it made it a little easier to maneuver with the second two passes. I love the control I get over the shave vs. with a DE, think I'll be sticking with this for a while and maybe moving on to a Feather (or similar) or a classic straight.

Just a quick update. The last two shaves went somewhat smoother than the first two, though I nicked myself today. Switched the razor to feather blades this morning and got a much more enjoyable shave, but lost a little blood to get there.

I have a Parker Shavette as well, and have used Derby blades in it, as well as Sharks. My first shave with it was awful, but it was totally due to my lack of skill, not the product. After about a week of practice, my shaves got better and better. Now, about a month later, I'm getting amazing shaves every time, with no irritation with derby blades. My advice is just to keep with it. You will be surprised how quickly your shaves improve as you get the feel of how to use it. Patience!

Top Bottom