What's new

Speick Shave Stick - Item of the Week 6/03/13

I think sticks get better after a few days of use. La Toja seems to be the worst when it sits for a while, kinda like rubbing a hard sponge on your face.

I agree and it is not just with sticks either; it always surprised me that every time I cut off a new piece of Cella (from the brick) it took a few shaves before it lathered as easy as the previous piece.

Third shave was just as good again as the second. Typical that a soap that does everything good and smells nice still never became one of my favs but Speick is definitively just under that top list for me.

I'm right there with all of you talking about sticks getting better after a couple days use. The first two days of using Speick this week I was disappointed. It was uncomfortable rubbing the stick against my face and I had to apply pressure to get the soap to rub off on my face. This caused some irritation. Now, 5-6 days into it, it's working great.

I've been using a Klenzo restored brush w/ TGN 22mm Finest knot. It's been working good, although the knot is so dense it is a bit of a lather hog. I'm going to try why blzrfn did and use one of my travel brushes. I think the HJM black fibre synthetic is going to get the call this morning. I'm sure that brush is going to be much less of a lather hog.

Enjoy your shaves gentlemen!

Friday:

Gillette Slim (set at 5)
Gillette Permasharp Stainless (1)
Simpson Tulip 2 Super
Speick Stick

Saturday:

Merkur Futur (set at 2)
Gillette Permasharp Stainless (2)
Semogue 830
Speick Stick

A week seems to pass at an alarming rate! :scared:

After a week of using Speick my opinion is pretty much unchanged from the beginning of the week. A good soap that I'm happy to use but not one that I will rush to replace once my current stick has been used. I find Speick most notable for the slickness of the lather it provides but, like talibeard, I think it's just under the top list for me. My current aim is to use up a lot of the products I've acquired and then settle of a more modest rotation of favourites and for me Speick doesn't really offer anything that I don't get from other products so for that reason it won't remain a part of my rotation.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Today's shave was the best of the week. I took a leisurely shower and had a very well hydrated beard when applying the Speick. I lathered with a TGN silver tip brush and it was very pleasant.

When I put the Speick stick away, I realized that it is getting used at almost double the rate of my other sticks (LaToja, Wilkinson Sword, Palmolive, Arko), except for the Irisch Moos which is difficult to compare. So regardless of what I may say or think about it, my instincts draw me to it more readily than the others. This is one that will get replaced AND I will have to consider the other Speick products when the 2013 sabbatical is over.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have next week's thread started. Stick around for DR Harris shave soaps.

Day 6 with Speick. Getting back into shave sticks again (getting ready for our next vacation)... Used my Ambrose today to keep the lather warm. SWEET...

proxy.php

I have next week's thread started. Stick around for DR Harris shave soaps.

I have Arlington in shave stick and in the bowl so I will be running with this one also. Need an excuse to get the shave stick in order as it will be going with me this year instead of LaToja

Speick week comes to a close with a really great shave:

Speick stick
Muhle Silvertip Fibre 21mm
Gillette Slim Adjustable w/Polsilver SI blade
Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel
La Toja AS Splash

DR Harris is one of the soaps I keep meaning to try, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I can't get any by Monday, so I'll have to sit next week out. I'll be back for B&B Essential Boar week!

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Speick stick
Muhle Silvertip Fibre 21mm
Gillette Slim Adjustable w/Polsilver SI blade
Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel
La Toja AS Splash

DR Harris is one of the soaps I keep meaning to try, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I can't get any by Monday, so I'll have to sit next week out. I'll be back for B&B Essential Boar week!

Good man!! :thumbsup:

I have had great shaves with Speick soap stick this week. I won't argue with anyone that considers it the best soap on the market. The price and performance make it a winner for me!

i'll bet bullgoose can get a puck to you by Tuesday afternoon!

No doubt on that, maybe I'll put in a quick order!
let's put him to the test!
I just put in an order for a puck of DR Harris almond (still tallow formula), with regular shipping.
Bet that it will arrive here in Florida, one of the most distant CONUS destination, by Thursday, so I can shave with it at the end of the IOTW!
And that's during his "busy father's day rush"!
go!

Saturday's shave:

Speick stick
Vintage Rubberset restored with TGN Silvertip
Mergress with Astra blade
RR alum
MDC AS oil

I enjoyed using Speick this week. It has a great scent and lather. I found that my Rubberset brush lathered Speick really well. I was able to get enough lather for 4 passes today since I skipped yesterday.

Day 5 with the Speick Shaving Stick (Saturday)

Another wonderful shave with Speick. Speick works really well on many levels for me. From ease of creating the lather to post-shave skin feel. I also like the scent and that the scent doesn't stick around for long. So I am glad I found another good soap and learning more about by participating in the IotW thread. :)

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Day 5 with the Speick Shaving Stick (Saturday)

Another wonderful shave with Speick. Speick works really well on many levels for me. From ease of creating the lather to post-shave skin feel. I also like the scent and that the scent doesn't stick around for long. So I am glad I found another good soap and learning more about by participating in the IotW thread. :)

I'm glad it worked out well for you and also that you are enjoying the IOTW threads.

End of Week, Speick IOTW, Saturday, June 8th
Finishing off the week with Speick cream from tube
I've (finally) found the right water-soap ratio. Very little water at first, then add in dribbles as it lathers.
Yesterday's shave with the Joris was so close, that today I only needed a light shave.
So the Feather ASD2 was drafted into action, with Gillette 7oclock blade
Very mild and precise razor.
Whipped in the Yoresh scuttle bowl, with the very soft and absorbent Kent BK8.
Prepped with AOS sandalwood preshave oil.
Cold water rinse and Floris sandalwood aftershave, then Floris sandalwood cologne.
Not even a hint of any redness or a micro drop of blood, just nice and smooth.
A great week! My overall impression of the Speick cream is very favorable; I had to learn to use lots of product and to hydrate carefully.
Now, on to the world of DR Harris!!

$speick june 8 comp.jpg

Top Bottom