What's new

Speakeasy Acquisitions - May 08

Another lover of the salty malts, I see. Highland Park is excellent, one of my faves. I like Ardbeg, too. Have you tried Bowmore?

I filled up my scotch collection during the time when my wife and I lived in different countries and I could go to a duty-free shop twice each visit. Now I only buy the occasional bottle and try not to spend more than $40. I think scotches have gotten a lot more expensive, and I think it has to do with the falling dollar.
I have tried Bowmore, but it was a long time ago. I don't remember its profile very well, so I'll try to pick up a bottle the next time I make a run. I should really keep a tasting journal.

I'll be opening and trying the Ardbeg tonight. :)

From Fopp Records, Covent Garden, London

John Coltrane
A Love Supreme

Original Analogue tapes
Limited Edition Heavy Vinyl

Oh don't even get me started on that! Freaking bold faced lie. The brewery in Chippewa probably makes about 10% of all the Original, Light, and Honey Weiss. All the other beers are made in various Miller brewerys in Milwaukee and Michigan. I bet most of the beer I buy doesn't even come from Chippewa!
It is a bummer, I almost never buy Leinie's anymore. And I'm fairly certain the new winter seasonal is going to be the end of Big Butt, and the Big Eddy IPA is probably not going to see the light of day by the sounds of it either.

Uh...SAY WHAT?!?! Really? :001_huh::mad3:

We should take some notes from Ed and start homebrewing...who's coming with me? :001_unsur

Afterthought: You're in Eau Claire, which is within spitting distance of Chippewa Falls...my head's about to explode.

Tesco:

Old Pulteney 12yo

£23.74 reduced to £18.74

£13 of clubcard (loyalty) vouchers

£5 voucher if £35 spent on shopping

£23.74 becomes SEVENTY FOUR PENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:a54::jump:

Saved up by selling old games and put it off until a lull in work, finally picked these up. See you in four months!

Uh...SAY WHAT?!?! Really? :001_huh::mad3:

We should take some notes from Ed and start homebrewing...who's coming with me? :001_unsur

Afterthought: You're in Eau Claire, which is within spitting distance of Chippewa Falls...my head's about to explode.

Makes a lot of sense doesn't it? This is pretty old info I'm going on(I can't even remember the last time I talked to John), but way back when, the brewery in Chippewa produced ALL the Honey Weiss, along with supplemental amounts of Original and Light. Then, after Honey Weiss started to make a name for itself(it's been their best selling beer pretty much since it came out, though Sunset Wheat probably takes the cake now since it is distributed nationaly)they started making it in Milwaukee to keep up with demand. Keep in mind all this was going down as Miller started take control of things. There was/is kind of a running joke about buying Honey Weiss with case A being great, and case B tasting like butt juice, which most believe the good stuff is from Chippewa, and the crap isn't. So this goes on for years, and then recently with SAB buying out Miller, it kind of added to the whole situation.

Also, I just discovered your Pilsner Urquell is a SABMiller product, which I didn't know.

Makes a lot of sense doesn't it? This is pretty old info I'm going on(I can't even remember the last time I talked to John), but way back when, the brewery in Chippewa produced ALL the Honey Weiss, along with supplemental amounts of Original and Light. Then, after Honey Weiss started to make a name for itself(it's been their best selling beer pretty much since it came out, though Sunset Wheat probably takes the cake now since it is distributed nationaly)they started making it in Milwaukee to keep up with demand. Keep in mind all this was going down as Miller started take control of things. There was/is kind of a running joke about buying Honey Weiss with case A being great, and case B tasting like butt juice, which most believe the good stuff is from Chippewa, and the crap isn't. So this goes on for years, and then recently with SAB buying out Miller, it kind of added to the whole situation.

Also, I just discovered your Pilsner Urquell is a SABMiller product, which I didn't know.

Honest (and possibly naive) question here. It says "Brewed and bottled in Plzen, Czech Republic." Is that a load of ****?

Honest (and possibly naive) question here. It says "Brewed and bottled in Plzen, Czech Republic." Is that a load of ****?

Could be. It's also very possible that SABMiller just imports and distributes it state side. I had no idea they were even affiliated with SABMiller in anyway, but when I was poking around their website the other day the bottle popped up. Somehow I'm starting to think that not much beer that is distributed nationally doesn't go through SABMiller or Anheuser-Busch's(who I think is going to be bought out soon by some Belgian company?) hands.

All this beer talk reminds me of the History of Beer that I watched on the history channel a few years ago! Pretty interesting, if they ever play it again, I recommend watching it.

Could be. It's also very possible that SABMiller just imports and distributes it state side. I had no idea they were even affiliated with SABMiller in anyway, but when I was poking around their website the other day the bottle popped up. Somehow I'm starting to think that not much beer that is distributed nationally doesn't go through SABMiller or Anheuser-Busch's(who I think is going to be bought out soon by some Belgian company?) hands.

All this beer talk reminds me of the History of Beer that I watched on the history channel a few years ago! Pretty interesting, if they ever play it again, I recommend watching it.

Yes, it's definitely some food for thought. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised to learn that the Big 2 have pretty much bought up most of the distribution rights (or whatever the case may be) for the major imported brews.

I suppose I shouldn't get too worked up, though, as it's all relative. If it tastes good to you, then it's a good beer.

Yes, it's definitely some food for thought. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised to learn that the Big 2 have pretty much bought up most of the distribution rights (or whatever the case may be) for the major imported brews.

I suppose I shouldn't get too worked up, though, as it's all relative. If it tastes good to you, then it's a good beer.

Not much you can do about it anyway. Except drink it. :biggrin:

Got my Casa Torano Maduros robustos today. They looks delicious!

(not my image but I thought it was post worthy)
proxy.php

I placed an order for a bundle of Fresco torpedos over the weekend and today found an email in my inbox...on backorder. Noooooooooooooooo!

So now I'm faced with a tough decision. I can wait (boo, hiss), get a different size (meh), or cancel the order and pay more somewhere else.

Consider this my Speakeasy Disaquisition. :biggrin:

Back in March, I posted about finding Journeys End Stellenbosch Cabernet Sauvignon for £4.99 (later to be £3.99) in a discount supermarket.

In style, it is like a New World Pauillac

This fine wine normally retails at £13.99 and on my recommendation was snapped up in Sheffield by Bors. :thumbup:

The local supply in Stoke appeared to dry up after my acquisitions :frown:

Yesterday, I went into another branch of the chain and found that there were still bottles available. I checked the price and it was still £3.99!!!!!!!!

Most shoppers aren't familiar with this wine :biggrin:

I know where there's a home for it :wink:

Got a Sony Handycam today, with a 30gb hard drive. Got tired of the little tapes in my old one and figured this would work well for transferring to the computer.

Top Bottom