What's new

Speakeasy Acquisitions - May 08

I fell prey to marketing in the beer cooler last night. I saw and interesting bottle with an interesting name and bought it.

proxy.php

Only then when I got home did I notice "Margaritaville" on the bottle...oh no, I bought Jimmy Buffet beer.

And guess what it tastes like? Corona!

:lol::lol::lol:

I was in Jermyn Street on Wednesday and in need of a shirt

I browsed the usual suspects

John Bray
Emmett
Daks
Herbie Frogg
New & Lingwood etc

This one won

£75 reduced to £37.50

To me:

£29.50

Hawes & Curtis (Curtis range)

:cool:

proxy.php

Hi all,

This was an gift I purchased for myself actually last month, but have been busy such that I could only read the forum, not post.

I was hired into a new job in Jan and was waiting to buy something... With a 9mo old, it wasn't the time to get the Porsche (although I did test drive them), so I finally settled upon this:

I have had the 8 and 12 year, and I have to say, this is more understated. No fire, just taste (now I sound like an add).

Over and out.

The first Macallan 18 yo that I had, was the 1963 back in the early '80s

It was love at first taste

Unfortunately, its price relationship to the 10yo has gone off the graph in the last ten years :frown:

Savour every drop :a29:

And guess what it tastes like? Corona!

Pretty much. At least now I can contemplate what Jimmy is worse at, making music, or making beer.

Actually, I don't think it's as bad as Corona. Don't get me wrong, they are both crap, but I might actually drink all of the Land Sharks. Corona would get the drain treatment for sure. :biggrin:

The first Macallan 18 yo that I had, was the 1963 back in the early '80s

It was love at first taste

Unfortunately, its price relationship to the 10yo has gone off the graph in the last ten years :frown:

Savour every drop :a29:
Rob,
Re: the 18 yr. You are correct about the price. It is a wonderful experience, but I could get a couple of bottles of other tasty bottles of scotch for the same amount. To me, it is in the catagory above "splurge" that we only use for special celebrations.

I will take your advice and savour-- always with a friend.

One pair Allen-Edmonds Evanstons
One Allen-Edmonds belt
Two pair Calvin Klein slacks (sue me, they make my arse look great and the wife loves 'em)
One pair DKNY slacks (look great with a cream colored shirt I have)
5 or 6 new ties
A few more new shirts

Month isn't even over. We're going on vacation this coming weekend so I guess I'll have to stop spending on myself for a bit.

Starting a new job soon so I figured I might as well update the wardrobe a bit. Polos and Dockers never really made me happy.

Oh, and some Alaskan Amber. It's an alt, doncha' know. Please read the previous sentence as one of the McKenzie brothers speaking about a donut. Thanks.

Where can I pick up the lady posted about above? She's a looker.

Yesterday I picked up a new 22 1/2" Weber kettle grill and a 28 quart Coleman cooler. Once I got home, I popped over to www.heartfeltindustries.com and ordered 1/2 pound of 65% RH beads and a drawstring sack to house them. Unfortunately, the beads won't ship until after Memorial Day, but it's cool because the site's proprietor is very much a small-time operation like our beloved Sues, Charles, Jim, et al. In other words, the guy's on vacation, so I've got to wait a bit. :biggrin: I got 10% off, though!

Once the beads arrive, I'll be placing an order for some Coolidor filling. I'm heavily leaning towards a bundle of 25 Perdomo Fresco Maduro Belicosos as I'm working within a pretty specific budget, but now since I have some time to play with, I may throw a few reasonable bids out on CBid and see what happens.

2 cases of Yuengling Lager for the next month and a half I spend in New England. Wretched place that doesn't sell Yuengling!

2 cases of Yuengling Lager for the next month and a half I spend in New England. Wretched place that doesn't sell Yuengling!

I had my first pint of Yuengling lager a few weeks ago when I was in the DC area. Tasty stuff that paired excellently with my cheeseburger.

One pair Allen-Edmonds Evanstons
One Allen-Edmonds belt
Two pair Calvin Klein slacks (sue me, they make my arse look great and the wife loves 'em)
One pair DKNY slacks (look great with a cream colored shirt I have)
5 or 6 new ties
A few more new shirts

Month isn't even over. We're going on vacation this coming weekend so I guess I'll have to stop spending on myself for a bit.

Starting a new job soon so I figured I might as well update the wardrobe a bit. Polos and Dockers never really made me happy.

Oh, and some Alaskan Amber. It's an alt, doncha' know. Please read the previous sentence as one of the McKenzie brothers speaking about a donut. Thanks.

Where can I pick up the lady posted about above? She's a looker.

Here you go Try this one-

I dropped by my favorite wine/spirits shop this afternoon. I've dropped so much cash in there, I now have a permanent mark on my account instructing whoever checks me out to give me a 12% discount, no matter what or how much I buy. :)

I needed to restock my scotches today, and also wanted to try a new one. I got Laphroaig 10 (my go-to Islay), Ardbeg 10 (been meaning to try it), and Highland Park 12. I wanted to get more Lagavulin 16, but it was $90. I seem to remember it as being more around $70, so I held off.

I picked up a six pack of Honey Weiss last night. Much to my dissappointment, the label isn't the only thing they have changed. The beer is deffinatly missing something that it once had. I hate it when they do this to me!!!

New label:
proxy.php
Old lable:
proxy.php

I picked up a six pack of Honey Weiss last night. Much to my dissappointment, the label isn't the only thing they have changed. The beer is deffinatly missing something that it once had. I hate it when they do this to me!!!

New label:
proxy.php
Old lable:
proxy.php

What happened to the 73 people who care? :tongue_sm

Joking aside, though, that's a real bummer. :frown:

What happened to the 73 people who care? :tongue_sm

Joking aside, though, that's a real bummer. :frown:

Oh don't even get me started on that! Freaking bold faced lie. The brewery in Chippewa probably makes about 10% of all the Original, Light, and Honey Weiss. All the other beers are made in various Miller brewerys in Milwaukee and Michigan. I bet most of the beer I buy doesn't even come from Chippewa!

It is a bummer, I almost never buy Leinie's anymore. And I'm fairly certain the new winter seasonal is going to be the end of Big Butt, and the Big Eddy IPA is probably not going to see the light of day by the sounds of it either.

I just bought a 5 lb brisket to barbecue for Memorial Day, along with a sixer of Killian's Irish Red (for SWMBO) and one of Sam Adams Cream Stout.

Yes, I said 5 lb of meat for two people. I'm not sure what to make for the kids. :biggrin:

I
I needed to restock my scotches today, and also wanted to try a new one. I got Laphroaig 10 (my go-to Islay), Ardbeg 10 (been meaning to try it), and Highland Park 12. I wanted to get more Lagavulin 16, but it was $90. I seem to remember it as being more around $70, so I held off.

Another lover of the salty malts, I see. Highland Park is excellent, one of my faves. I like Ardbeg, too. Have you tried Bowmore?

I filled up my scotch collection during the time when my wife and I lived in different countries and I could go to a duty-free shop twice each visit. Now I only buy the occasional bottle and try not to spend more than $40. I think scotches have gotten a lot more expensive, and I think it has to do with the falling dollar.

Top Bottom