What's new

Some very rare Bog Oak - limited availability!!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I was able to pick up a few pieces of what is probably the oldest available bog oak. It had been sent out to a professional stabilizing company and was resin stabilized there. It came back to me last week. It is the absolutely darkest, i.e totally black, Bog Oak I ever saw. Here is how the seller (a very reputable exotic wood seller in the US) has described it as follows:

"Saltwater Bog Oak from Ukraine. This is from a salt bog which is why you see the little flecks of white salt in some of them. You can flick these out with a pin if you want to get rid of them. This wood is nearly the oldest known bog oak. These black pieces were recently dated to a minimum of 7,500 years old."

My oldest available Bog Oak is from Ireland and probably close to 5000-6000 years old, some I brought personally back from a vacation trip a few years back. I also have some much younger Ukrainian Bog Oak, this I got a few months before the war started; it is probably 2000-3000 years old. The older the wood is, the darker it is. For example my St Patrick pens were made with Bog Oak from the times of St Pat.

The amount of the Salt Bog Oak is limited, depending on the handle style, I might be getting a total 8-12 brushes from it. It makes a great brush handle wood, especially since it is resin stabilized!! I making Bog Oak handled shaving brushes since about 2008/2009, and I think I was the first one offering this wood in a shaving brush.
Combine this rare wood with a high grade Shavemac badger hair knot and you have an heirloom shaving brush. I also have Semogue Premium Boar and Mistura knots as well as the Muehle STF knots on hand.
If interested, contact me for availability and price, either here with a pm or via email to:
[email protected]

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was able to pick up a few pieces of what is probably the oldest available bog oak. It had been sent out to a professional stabilizing company and was resin stabilized there. It came back to me last week. It is the absolutely darkest, i.e totally black, Bog Oak I ever saw. Here is how the seller (a very reputable exotic wood seller in the US) has described it as follows:

"Saltwater Bog Oak from Ukraine. This is from a salt bog which is why you see the little flecks of white salt in some of them. You can flick these out with a pin if you want to get rid of them. This wood is nearly the oldest known bog oak. These black pieces were recently dated to a minimum of 7,500 years old."

My oldest available Bog Oak is from Ireland and probably close to 5000-6000 years old, some I brought personally back from a vacation trip a few years back. I also have some much younger Ukrainian Bog Oak, this I got a few months before the war started; it is probably 2000-3000 years old. The older the wood is, the darker it is. For example my St Patrick pens were made with Bog Oak from the times of St Pat.

The amount of the Salt Bog Oak is limited, depending on the handle style, I might be getting a total 8-12 brushes from it. It makes a great brush handle wood, especially since it is resin stabilized!! I making Bog Oak handled shaving brushes since about 2008/2009, and I think I was the first one offering this wood in a shaving brush.
Combine this rare wood with a high grade Shavemac badger hair knot and you have an heirloom shaving brush. I also have Semogue Premium Boar and Mistura knots as well as the Muehle STF knots on hand.
If interested, contact me for availability and price, either here with a pm or via email to:
[email protected]
I really wish Semogue would make larger diameter Mistura knots..... I love feel but I'm sort of a 26mm minimum knot kind of guy. You did a 26mm and a 28mm ShaveMac Two-Band Silvertip replacements for me..... I love them both but truth be told, I enjoy the 28mm just a little bit more. <eg>

I'm in......Ukrainian oak. 7,500+ years old. How could I say no?
Plus it'll add to my bog oak collection😉
IMG_3025.jpeg

Depends on cost, but I do like exotic wood things.
You should read his initial post and reach out to him by Pm or email then like he said to get info. If you’re waiting to see a final product before deciding if you want to engage him, they will probably all be gone. There’s a plenty of pics of his other bog oak brushes posted around B&B.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
As of today, 7 pm, I have to stop offering this until I have made the brushes that have been already ordered. After they are made, I know how much is left. I anticipate there might be one or two more possible, but I really know it only after the holidays.
Thanks guys, really appreciate it so far. Merry Christmas!!

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Some beautiful wood! I wish I had a bigger piece of some ~80 million year old wood that was preserved in kimberlite. Maybe a hybrid brush from it someday. Still very wood like, but light like a balsa.

Similar to the wood from the Ekati pit:

Top Bottom