What's new

Soap Sample Passaround Box

The TAS sounds fun, less CO and castor oil as a replacement instead. Lots of glycerin and avocado oil along with some silk. Similar to some of my later tallow beta soaps so it will be harder to lather but much more dense and creamy, love it! Looking forward to the reviews on them.

They seem to be getting great reviews. I have high hopes for them and I'd love to add a few more worthy soaps to my upper tier. I'll share my thoughts once I give them a try.

Guys,

Huffcl31 was kind enough to send me some Phoenix Artisan soaps for the passaround so I'll be sending samples of

Honeysuckle
Lime Ice Sage
Frostbite
Consolidate
Salty Lime
Cavendish
The Beach
Tombstone
Malpais

to the box soon. I do like the Phoenix Artisan soaps and some of the scents are outstanding so they are definitely a great addition.

We also have some Tallow & Steel soap coming from Ryan at Tallow & Steel. This is one I'm really excited to try as well.

I was at a meet up earlier this month, I was able to smell some of he had and he raffled the full soaps he brought for us to take a whiff. He had also had given out samples of Solstice (Cedar is what really hits me, like freshly cut cedar). I'll take a few shaves and toss it in the box of whichever you plan on putting the others in.
Oh, If yall really like Hawaiian Punch the drink. Try Aloha SmackDown. It is spot on Hawaiian Punch.

Tuesday – Box 1, Shave 4

Razor: iKon Deluxe OC
Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
Brush: Omega 11574 Boar – 24 mm
Soap/cream: Midnight & Two – The Study
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Kyovu - Cheshire

$IMG_2713.jpg$IMG_2715.jpg$IMG_2716.jpg$IMG_2717.jpg$IMG_2720.jpg

Glide: Very good.

Cushion: Wow. Thick coverage. Lots of protection. About as good as I’ve gotten.

Latherability: It took a little bit of work to get it going, but once the lather started, it really built nicely. A fairly thirsty soap – I actually added water after my first pass since it seemed almost too thick. (The shot of the razor above is the remains after my first pass.)

Lather Stability: Excellent. No degradation during my shave. The bowl had nice solid lather as I cleaned out the bowl.

Residual Slickness: Pretty good. I didn’t have any problems doing a little touchup after a pass.

Scent Strength: Fairly strong, but not too strong. I could smell the vetiver just as I started brushing the soap. I was getting a whiff or two from my skin an hour later.

Scent Appeal: I have mixed experiences with vetivers, but I liked this one. It was a little smoky but I still liked it. I couldn’t pull out the other scents in the blend, but the scent is more complex than the single vetiver note.

Result and Conclusions: I really, really liked this soap. It checked all of my boxes for a great soap other than a superior post-shave feel. At this point in my journey, I enjoy the moisturizing that I get from some soaps (Mike’s, B&M to some extent, Nuavia) and while my skin felt very nice, I didn’t get the smoooooth feel that I get from others. That is the only thing that would keep me from immediately putting this into the Yes category. I’m probably under-rating this as a “Probably Yes” since it’s almost inevitable that at least one type of Midnight & Two will make its way to my house. Test lathers of the other soaps will be occurring this week.

Midnight & Two > Bain Amour > Sweet Comb Chicago > I Coloniali

I'd love to get in on the next one of these soap passaround boxes. You guys look like you're having way too much fun!

We'd love to have you. Just get your post count up and follow the thread so you know when the next round signups are.

Tuesday – Box 1, Shave 4

Soap/cream: Midnight & Two – The Study
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Kyovu - Cheshire

View attachment 684878View attachment 684879View attachment 684880View attachment 684881View attachment 684882

Cushion: Wow. Thick coverage. Lots of protection. About as good as I’ve gotten.

Latherability: It took a little bit of work to get it going, but once the lather started, it really built nicely. A fairly thirsty soap – I actually added water after my first pass since it seemed almost too thick. (The shot of the razor above is the remains after my first pass.)

Lather Stability: Excellent. No degradation during my shave. The bowl had nice solid lather as I cleaned out the bowl.

Residual Slickness: Pretty good. I didn’t have any problems doing a little touchup after a pass.

Scent Strength: Fairly strong, but not too strong. I could smell the vetiver just as I started brushing the soap. I was getting a whiff or two from my skin an hour later.

Scent Appeal: I have mixed experiences with vetivers, but I liked this one. It was a little smoky but I still liked it. I couldn’t pull out the other scents in the blend, but the scent is more complex than the single vetiver note.

Result and Conclusions: I really, really liked this soap. It checked all of my boxes for a great soap other than a superior post-shave feel. At this point in my journey, I enjoy the moisturizing that I get from some soaps (Mike’s, B&M to some extent, Nuavia) and while my skin felt very nice, I didn’t get the smoooooth feel that I get from others. That is the only thing that would keep me from immediately putting this into the Yes category. I’m probably under-rating this as a “Probably Yes” since it’s almost inevitable that at least one type of Midnight & Two will make its way to my house. Test lathers of the other soaps will be occurring this week.

Midnight & Two > Bain Amour > Sweet Comb Chicago > I Coloniali

For me Midnight & Two is an outstanding soap that I'll likely have to purchase a tub or two of real soon. The only thing stopping me is that I should use some other stuff up first. At the moment I'd rank them about here though I'd have to use them more to see if they could take the #3 spot from Pure2O:

1. PannaCrema Nuavia
2. Sudsy Soapery
3. PannaCrema Pure2O
4. Midnight & Two

For me Midnight & Two is an outstanding soap that I'll likely have to purchase a tub or two of real soon. The only thing stopping me is that I should use some other stuff up first. At the moment I'd rank them about here though I'd have to use them more to see if they could take the #3 spot from Pure2O:

1. PannaCrema Nuavia
2. Sudsy Soapery
3. PannaCrema Pure2O
4. Midnight & Two

I can't remember if I gave M&T a 9 or 9.5 rating but I do remember the scents... Oh those wonderful scents. With so many soaps scoring in the 9s I have become really critical of post shave feel and scent. Even my beloved Tabac, MWF and Haslinger have had their scores lowered do to their scent. I, like you, need to try M&T out more before I can rank them somewhere in my top 10.

1. PannaCrema Nuavia
2. Sudsy Soapery
3. PannaCrema Pure2O
4. Midnight & Two

I don't think Pure2O has anything to worry about. Midnight & Two, on the other hand, should be worried about being bumped to #5 by Phoenix and Beau. :001_cool:

But this is all so YMMV...and the difference between these top soaps is so minimal (except when it comes to Nuavia, of course)...

I don't think Pure2O has anything to worry about. Midnight & Two, on the other hand, should be worried about being bumped to #5 by Phoenix and Beau. :001_cool:

But this is all so YMMV...and the difference between these top soaps is so minimal (except when it comes to Nuavia, of course)...

I have yet to try Phoenix and Beau so that'll have to wait.

I have yet to try Phoenix and Beau so that'll have to wait.

Funny that you'd mention Phoenix and Beau....

Wednesday – Box 1, Shave 5

Blade: Polsilver SI (5)
Soap/cream: Phoenix and Beau Citra Royale
Aftershave: Fine L’Orange Noir

$IMG_2730.jpg$IMG_2731.jpg$IMG_2733.jpg$IMG_2734.jpg$IMG_2735.jpg

Glide: Excellent glide – I’d say it’s this soap’s strong suit. My blade slid right over my face.

Cushion: Very good, although Midnight & Two had it beat by just a hair.

Latherability: Very smooth texture coming out of the container. It’s very soft. Lathered up quite nicely. It took a fair amount of water, but seemed like it could keep going if I wished.

Lather Stability: Excellent. The soap remaining in my bowl when I was finished seemed as good as when I started.

Residual Slickness: No problems with my touch up. Not surprising since the glide was so good.

Scent Strength: Reasonably strong. Out of the jar, it was noticeable. Scent stayed with me throughout the shave. Hard to tell afterwards since the Fine has obliterated everything. (I’m still smelling the Fine 6 hours later.)

Scent Appeal: Coming out of the jar, I smelled the cleanser scent that some complained about. Once I lathered though, other citrus came out and the “lemon-fresh” scent was lessened considerably. I wouldn’t throw a tub of this out, but I’d check out some of Phoenix and Beau’s other scents before buying this.

Result and Conclusions: Another very good shave. With just two data points, I’d rank this one slightly below the Midnight & Two yesterday, but it’s very close. Of course it could also just be that I was enjoying the music more in today’s shave than yesterday’s. This is a solid “Probably Yes” and it’s on my list of possible soaps for my yearly re-supply.

Edited to add: My skin feels very nice even though there are no moisturizing properties from the Fine AS. I assume that this is a result of the soap.

Midnight & Two > Phoenix and Beau = Bain Amour > Sweet Comb Chicago > I Coloniali

Last edited:
Box 3 arrived today and surprisingly in good shape this time. Went through the box and I own or have a used a LOT of what's in here. But I did narrow it down to 6 selections. With the beginning of Speicktember it will take me a couple extra days to get through the soaps just an fyi

This message brought to you by Chad's phone.... most likely with typos

Thursday – Box 1, Shave 6

Blade: Polsilver SI (6)
Soap/cream: Bluebell Soap Co. – Lime Wood
Aftershave: Myrsol Antesol

$IMG_2740.jpg$IMG_2739.jpg$IMG_2738.jpg$IMG_2741.jpg$IMG_2742.jpg

Cushion: Another thick lather. Either I’ve run into a spate of excellent soaps, or I’ve learned to load/build lather very recently.

Latherability: This soap is harder than the Midnight and Two and the Phoenix and Beau, but it is not a very hard soap. I had no trouble building a lather with it. Took water very well. (As an aside – the instructions for the soap on Bluebell’s website suggest that you bloom the soap and then load for 45 seconds. I don’t think either of these things is probably necessary.)

Lather Stability: Very good. Seemed to degrade a titch over the shave, but nothing to worry about.

Residual Slickness: Good.

Scent Strength: Good but not overwhelming.

Scent Appeal: A very nice scent if you like cedar. Despite the name, the lime did not really stand out – it was more of a complementary note.

Post-Shave Feel: Good, a little dry.

Result and Conclusions: This is another very nice soap, although probably not in my top tier. Based on the single shaves I’ve tried of the soaps, I rate it slightly below Bain Amour and Phoenix and Beau, but I would enjoy using a tub of it if I came across one. Another “Probably Yes.”

Midnight & Two > Phoenix and Beau = Bain Amour > Bluebell Soap Co. > Sweet Comb Chicago > I Coloniali

Monday – Box 1, Shave 3

Soap/cream: I Coloniali
Aftershave: Chiseled Face Trade Winds

View attachment 684617View attachment 684618View attachment 684619View attachment 684620

Glide: Very smooth shave. Good glide despite my troubles with the lather.

Cushion: For me, not so much.

Latherability: The sample was fairly hard. I had to scrape some out with my fingernail in order to use it. Spent a fair amount of time building the lather that I could get. I’ve since read that some people bloom the soap.

Lather Stability: OK, but not great. But that may be the fault of the lather I made today. 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] pass did not have much in the way of lather to build.

Residual Slickness: Average

Scent Strength: Good. I could smell it on my skin as I was shaving and right after.

Scent Appeal: The scent that I got off the soap itself was a sweet yeast dough. The lather itself opened up to be a bit more sweet-spice. I liked it.

Result and Conclusions: Ugh… The lather today was not particularly good, despite my best efforts to build both in the bowl and on my face. I suspect that the issue was not enough product. Based solely on today’s shave I’d probably rate this as a Probably No, but there are others who really like this stuff. So I’ll rate it as Maybe. I had high hopes going in this soap. I’d still love to give it a second chance but I can’t put it very high on my list as of now.

Bain Amour > Sweet Comb Chicago > I Coloniali
That lather is wayyyyyyyy too wet

today is shave 1 from box #3

Today's Shave

Razor: Muhle r41
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Soap/cream: LA Shaving Soap Company Topanga Fougere
Brush: 24 mm maggards Synthetic
Aftershave1: Thayer's witch hazel cucumber
Aftershave2: Fine Green Vetiver

Glide: 7/10
Cushion: 7/10
Latherability: 7/10
Lather Stability: 8/10
Residual Slickness: 7.5/10
Scent Strength: 9/10
Scent Likeness: 9/10

So I have never used a soap by this company before and I have heard mixed reviews. Some good and some average. This was the scent I liked the best, a sweet fougere, and a very nice scent! It also paired nicely with the Fine AS. But the soap was really just average to me in regards to performance. Honestly if I was a new shaver and using this soap I am sure I would have had cuts. Right away upon applying the lather to my face I could tell, that the cushion and glide were lackluster. Which was weird because it actually lathered pretty easily. This is a soap brand I would probably pass on and i'm okay with that.

Top Bottom