What's new

So. What do you hunt?

Did not see we were suposed to say where and what with.

I am lucky enough to be invited to hunt on 800 acres of family land (not my family). I am the only non family hunter and many times the only person on the entire tract.

I hunt with a drilling or cape gun. 16 gauge over 8mm rimmed Mauser.

It is rare when I take a shot longer than 100 feet. In all my time hunting I have never had to track a deer. If I cannot drop them on the spot I do not take the shot

Peter Hambruch 16 x 8mm rimmed side by side hammer (my favorite and first choice)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Drilling 16 x 16 over 8mm rimmed. I take this one if I think I may need a longer shot as it has a detachable Zeiss air weight scope

proxy.php

Over under (16 over 8mm rimmed) Merkel

proxy.php

We have our own family place on the lake. Large acreage. Has the usual run of Texas small game and varmints plus deer. Ducks along the shore line.

I hunt it all.

Duckhunting's my favorite.

Here's a small portion of it, facing the lake and a thin early morning sun behind haze.

Ducks taken with the Winchester Model 12 Skeet Grade.

Love rifles best of all, Winchester Model 70s best of rifles. Have other bolt-action rifles but these see most use.

A scan of an old instant photo from way back.

Typically hunt, pheasant, quail, grouse, and whitetail. Would like to get into hog hunting. I started at a young age bird hunting with a .410, then moved to a .20 GA. I use my .243 majority of time for deer hunting, but also use a .308, .257, or 30-30 depending.

$1st Buck 2013.jpg$2016 Clay of Brazos Shoot.jpg

Love to hunt !! Deer, hogs, ducks..pretty much anything.. I enjoy rifles, pistols, learning to use a bow.
I enjoy skeet and trap shooting as well.

Deer on family property in the upper peninsula. Bow, 30-30 Marlin, muzzleloader.

occasional squirrel or varmint with 17 hmr savage.

Trapping with 22 pistols.

What: Currently just waterfowl. However I plan to expand to coyote (tried once) and want to get out for a pig hunt down south.

Where: In my home state of NJ. I split my time hunting tidal, woodland swamp, and have rights to a cornfield for geese.

With: Beretta 12ga Xtrema

I absolutely fell in love with waterfowl after my first hunt. In my humble opinion, it's one of the most challenging and physically demanding forms of hunting. Cold, ice, wind, and waves combined with very hard to shoot ducks.

$IMG_7425.JPG$IMG_7423.JPG$IMG_7420.JPG

What: In recent year I have been mostly hunting elk, mule deer, and pronghorn. Prior while living in eastern Wyoming I spent a lot of great days hunting pheasants and some waterfowl after big game seasons closed.

Where: Wyoming

With: My big game rifles of choice are a Remington Model 700 in .243 Win. and a Ruger #1 in 7mm Rem. Mag. My one and only shotgun is my trusty Remington 870 12 ga.

I hunt deer, pheasant, quail, dove, and lately --- rabbits. No hogs have been spotted where I live in the panhandle, and I hope it stays that way --- but it won't!

We some property (pastures, food plots, and fallow fields) around where I live.

.30-06 and a 6mm for deer hunting, a Browning A5 for everything else.

Rabbits have been a real nuisance lately out at our farm. They ate a large garden, ate the bark off of a few newly planted trees, and have eaten the wheat crop closest to the farm buildings and road (not too much damage, but it's annoying). The rabbits get a nice dose of 12 gauge!:lol:

These days, Whitetail. I grew up primarily hunting quail, grouse, woodcock, etc. I prefer to hunt birds and I prefer to do it with dogs I raised. Started with English Pointers then got into Brittanys. Unfortunately there is very little opportunity to get into any birds around here so I quit raising dogs. Bird hunt with a good dog. It will change your life. I miss it terribly.

When I lived in Texas, I lived for hunting season and planned my vacation around it. White-tailed deer, Rio Grande turkey, javelina, dove, quail, ducks, geese. Tools of the trade include bolt-action rifles in 7mm-08 Rem and .243 Win with tailored handloads, a 12-ga O/U, and an assortment of traditional archery tackle.

I will rifle hunt late in the season to put meat in the freezer, but primarily if I am firearm hunting it's with a pistol. I rarely take pictures, but here is me several years ago with the first deer I took with my .44

proxy.php

Mostly deer (muzzleloader) longer season try to get my 2 bucks and couple does. Rabbits,geese,turkey and pheasant on annual european hunt. Love my new TC Strike muzzleloader had it to the range a few times can hold 2 inch groups at 100 yards. Benelli Supernova for birds handles all loads easily. Doesn't beat me up like 870 did.

Last edited:
I was brought up a South Dakota upland game hunter: pheasant, grouse, etc... But, I live in Texas so I hunt dove and quail, too. I used to hunt deer quite a bit, but not so much anymore. These days, my weapons of choice are:

• Browning B-80 12 gauge, 28" barrel, 2 3/4" and 3". The B-80 is a wonderful gas operated semi-auto made by Browning (actually made by Beretta). Discontinued in 1989, I believe.
  • Browning B-80 20 gauge, 26" barrel, 2 3/4" and 3". FABULOUS little dove and quail shotgun! I've killed a fair share of pheasants with it, too.
  • Sako Hunter in .270 Win., with a Leupold 3x9x40 Vari-X ii scope. Circa 1988-ish. Discontinued in 1990. I'd be comfortable using it on nearly any animal in North America.
I have a ridiculously full gun safe, and I've used all manner of shotguns, including my Dad's beautiful Belgian Browning Superposed 12 gauge over/under, and a sweet Parker 16 gauge side by side circa 1935-ish. But when I go out these days, those three up above are what I choose.

If I did more duck and goose hunting I'd probably invest in something with a 3 1/2" chamber, or maybe a 10 gauge. The last time I shot ducks and geese was so long ago that I did it with lead shot. I used to knock ducks down all day with an old Mossberg 20 gauge pump with a 26" barrel. But with lead shot. I wouldn't use that shotgun with steel.

If I ever get the opportunity to hunt big stuff like grisly bear, moose, or elk, I'd probably invest in a .338 Win. magnum, or a .375 H&H magnum just to be old school! If I thought I'd shoot a lot of hogs I'd get a carbine sized .308 with a good peep sight.

Last edited:
I was brought up a South Dakota upland game hunter: pheasant, grouse, etc... But, I live in Texas so I hunt dove and quail, too. I used to hunt deer quite a bit, but not so much anymore. These days, my weapons of choice are:

• Browning B-80 12 gauge, 28" barrel, 2 3/4" and 3". The B-80 is a wonderful gas operated semi-auto made by Browning (actually made by Beretta). Discontinued in 1989, I believe.
  • Browning B-80 20 gauge, 26" barrel, 2 3/4" and 3". FABULOUS little dove and quail shotgun! I've killed a fair share of pheasants with it, too.
  • Sako Hunter in .270 Win., with a Leupold 3x9x40 Vari-X ii scope. Circa 1988-ish. Discontinued in 1990. I'd be comfortable using it on nearly any animal in North America.
I have a ridiculously full gun safe, and I've used all manner of shotguns, including my Dad's beautiful Belgian Browning Superposed 12 gauge over/under, and a sweet Parker 16 gauge side by side circa 1935-ish. But when I go out these days, those three up above are what I choose.

If I did more duck and goose hunting I'd probably invest in something with a 3 1/2" chamber, or maybe a 10 gauge. The last time I shot ducks and geese was so long ago that I did it with lead shot. I used to knock ducks down all day with an old Mossberg 20 gauge pump with a 26" barrel. But with lead shot. I wouldn't use that shotgun with steel.

If I ever get the opportunity to hunt big stuff like grisly bear, moose, or elk, I'd probably invest in a .338 Win. magnum, or a .375 H&H magnum just to be old school! If I thought I'd shoot a lot of hogs I'd get a carbine sized .308 with a good peep sight.

Wow. Those are some nice guns. I grew up hunting with a Savage 12Ga. side by side that I bought when I was 9. Then I inherited my dad's Fox 20 Ga. which is a great, somewhat rare shotgun. Eventually I got a Citori. Great gun. Never really bonded with the over and unders though.

Top Bottom