What's new

So RAD IS real...

The R41 is on my list as the 34C everyone raves about is no better or efficient than the Gillette C King razor in my opinion. I don’t understand its reputation. It doesn’t slice off the stubble as thoroughly or smoothly as I’d envisioned safety razors doing.

Does the R41 cause more razor burn or nicks to your sensitive areas like your neck? Does it take off more hair per pass relative to the 34C? The Merkur gets it done after three passes but it’s like cutting a steak with a butter knife. You can make it happen but it’s not an enjoyable experience.

On my current to-buy list:

- Rex Ambassador/Konsul - haven’t decided which
- Muhle R41 - Maybe this is the safety razor nirvana of slicing through stubble like a laser…we shall see.
- Rockwell something - gotta see if they’re as buttery smooth and accident free as people claim. The Merkur 34C hype was certainly unfounded so maybe Rockwells will also disappoint me.

By the way, what does RAD technically stand for?
I have only used the r41 once so far, so very small sample size. It did not cut me and I had less irritation on my neck than usual. I'm still new to DE razors so could it be a technique thing, but I get irritation on my neck even with a 34c. One of the worst shaves I've had was from a Henson "mild".

Although it sounds counterintuitive, I am really starting to believe that efficient razors cause less irritation for people like me with sensitive skin and a coarse beard. I think this is because with an efficient razor I don't need as many passes to achieve a nice shave. YMMV

Although it sounds counterintuitive, I am really starting to believe that efficient razors cause less irritation for people like me with sensitive skin and a coarse beard. I think this is because with an efficient razor I don't need as many passes to achieve a nice shave. YMMV
I have had a similar experience, I think...

For me, reducing the "blade to face" time correspondingly reduces the possibility of irritation. As I note in the above thread, though, I do agree that my less effective shaves with "mild" razors is more likely due to insufficient technique, and I am fine with that. (I'm glad that there are options!)

Welcome to B&B!

I am also a beginner at wet shaving for 4 months. My skin is not sensitive, I would say it's more of a tough skin, but my beard is definitely very hard. I first bought the Muhle Companion (probably as aggressive as Rocca) and then got the DE89. At first, like you, I thought one razor was enough, so I sold the Companion. That's interesting because the vectors are opposite to you. I have 5 of them now...
My beard is too hard, so I'm currently pursuing a method of shaving using a mild razor with strong pressure. I also use multiple razors and try various shaving methods, and my skin is damaged and the entropy is too high. I have no idea what my future holds.
Have a good RAD life together!

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B!

I am also a beginner at wet shaving for 4 months. My skin is not sensitive, I would say it's more of a tough skin, but my beard is definitely very hard. I first bought the Muhle Companion (probably as aggressive as Rocca) and then got the DE89. At first, like you, I thought one razor was enough, so I sold the Companion. That's interesting because the vectors are opposite to you. I have 5 of them now...
My beard is too hard, so I'm currently pursuing a method of shaving using a mild razor with strong pressure. I also use multiple razors and try various shaving methods, and my skin is damaged and the entropy is too high. I have no idea what my future holds.
Have a good RAD life!
Why not get an adjustable like the Rex Ambassador or Rockwell T2 if you have tough skin and a hard beard?

Why not get an adjustable like the Rex Ambassador or Rockwell T2 if you have tough skin and a hard beard?
Thank you for introducing me to some great razors.
For the time being, I settle for an aggressive razor with GreenCult GC2.0 and all 4 types of base plates. I actually want a Rocca with a birch handle, but I'm desperately holding back.
With my current technique, even with GC2.0 Plate IV (probably approaching R41 in aggressiveness), WTG results in a lot of unshave.
So I love ATG, but it seems to be doing a lot of damage to my skin, so I'm considering giving up on ATG.
I have a particularly thick beard among Asians, so there's a good chance that standard methods won't work for me. I'm also thinking about the possibility that it might be better not to soften the beard with hot water, or a method that doesn't use soap. Experiments and verification will likely take many more days....
cheers🍻

Thank you for introducing me to some great razors.
For the time being, I settle for an aggressive razor with GreenCult GC2.0 and all 4 types of base plates. I actually want a Rocca with a birch handle, but I'm desperately holding back.
With my current technique, even with GC2.0 Plate IV (probably approaching R41 in aggressiveness), WTG results in a lot of unshave.
So I love ATG, but it seems to be doing a lot of damage to my skin, so I'm considering giving up on ATG.
I have a particularly thick beard among Asians, so there's a good chance that standard methods won't work for me. I'm also thinking about the possibility that it might be better not to soften the beard with hot water, or a method that doesn't use soap. Experiments and verification will likely take many more days....
cheers🍻
I know that ATG tears my neck up and I can only get away with it on my face. Some of these tips have helped me:

I'm new to this forum and recently jumped into the world of wet shaving.

While lurking on this forum for information on what to buy, I came across the term "RAD". I wondered,"Who the heck needs multiple razors? I will surely buy just 1 (a Merkur 34c) and use it for life!"

Welp, I'm only 2 months in and already own a Muhle Rocca, RazoRock GC .84, Merkur 34c, and Muhle 41! 😂

Even thought I know it doesn't exist, I am enjoying the pursuit of the "perfect shave" with the "perfect razor."

For the first time in my life I actually look forward to shaving and am achieving MUCH better results than I ever did with cartridge or electric razor.

I look forward to many years of RAD enabling "by them both" posts!

Thankfully, I have yet to be inflicted by shave soap, brush, or blade acquisition disorder...:)
RAD is NOT real............until you are falling head first and spinning in a dark and cold tunnel.......

I know that ATG tears my neck up and I can only get away with it on my face. Some of these tips have helped me:

thank you. Shaving with cold water might be a good idea. Apparently, when I try something new, I like to try the opposite of all the conventional theories. I want to try everything first to see if the evil path is actually an evil path, and then I will go for the royal path.

Last edited:
The great thing about acquistion disorder in this hobby is that it is relatively inexpensive compared to many other hobbies. My wife is a photographer so I know that it is easy to wind up with multiple cameras, each with multiple lenses, tripods, and who knows what else. I have a friend with five motorcyles, another with a large guitar collection. The price of one nice guitar would buy you quite a lot of shave gear.

I'm new to this forum and recently jumped into the world of wet shaving.

While lurking on this forum for information on what to buy, I came across the term "RAD". I wondered,"Who the heck needs multiple razors? I will surely buy just 1 (a Merkur 34c) and use it for life!"

Welp, I'm only 2 months in and already own a Muhle Rocca, RazoRock GC .84, Merkur 34c, and Muhle 41! 😂

Even thought I know it doesn't exist, I am enjoying the pursuit of the "perfect shave" with the "perfect razor."

For the first time in my life I actually look forward to shaving and am achieving MUCH better results than I ever did with cartridge or electric razor.

I look forward to many years of RAD enabling "by them both" posts!

Thankfully, I have yet to be inflicted by shave soap, brush, or blade acquisition disorder...:)

Sounds about right.

Welcome to the show 🙂

So I tried the Muhle R41 today and I am very pleasantly surprised by what a wonderful shave it gave me. Really not "aggressive" like I thought it'd be. I think I finally understand the difference between "aggressive" and "efficient".
Because you bought the latest R41 head, manufactured in the last 3 years which has been made milder than the 2013 version. And more than half the posts on the forum are about the previous 2013.

I started off using Nivea canned gel, but quickly switched to Proraso sensitive soap (comes in a bowl) with a RazoRock synthetic brush.

I can’t say that I have a favorite razor yet but prefer the more aggressive razors. My Muhle 41 is arriving today, so haven’t tried it yet. If I had to rank from mildest to most aggressive of the 3 I’ve used, I’d say 34c<GC.84<Rocca.

If someone put a gun to my head and said pick one, at this point I would say the Rocca is my favorite. This may change though after trying the 41, we’ll see!
You really need to try out a Fatip open comb razor! :straight:

The price of this razor can justify the RAD so it doesn't really count :thumbup1:

When I joined this board I considered myself to be a minimalist shaver... HAH. Can't beat them JOIN them.... That is what I did. There are so many products I want to try out.

If you love what you do...
Then if it worth doing, it worth over doing...
When my wife my tells me, that she loves it when I am clean shaven...
I validates my passion for the shave and the process...
Plus the rewards..
Enjoy the shave, it's yout time.
Plus you will look and feel great when you are with others..
BFX

laughing-laugh.gif

Although it sounds counterintuitive, I am really starting to believe that efficient razors cause less irritation for people like me with sensitive skin and a coarse beard.

You are not the first person to come to this conclusion by any means. It took me many years to come to the same realisation!

Top Bottom