What's new

So RAD IS real...

I'm new to this forum and recently jumped into the world of wet shaving.

While lurking on this forum for information on what to buy, I came across the term "RAD". I wondered,"Who the heck needs multiple razors? I will surely buy just 1 (a Merkur 34c) and use it for life!"

Welp, I'm only 2 months in and already own a Muhle Rocca, RazoRock GC .84, Merkur 34c, and Muhle 41! 😂

Even thought I know it doesn't exist, I am enjoying the pursuit of the "perfect shave" with the "perfect razor."

For the first time in my life I actually look forward to shaving and am achieving MUCH better results than I ever did with cartridge or electric razor.

I look forward to many years of RAD enabling "by them both" posts!

Thankfully, I have yet to be inflicted by shave soap, brush, or blade acquisition disorder...:)

If it makes you feel any better (or worse, as the case may be), I started here with, I believe, one razor, one shave soap, one brush and about 9 blades.
A little less than a year later, I have 12 razors, 15 soaps, 5 shave creams, 3 brushes and over 500 blades. And two after shaves. 😆

Welcome to B&B! Enjoy your shaving journey.

Do you have a favorite among your four razors? How do they compare in aggressiveness? What are you using for shaving lather?
I started off using Nivea canned gel, but quickly switched to Proraso sensitive soap (comes in a bowl) with a RazoRock synthetic brush.

I can’t say that I have a favorite razor yet but prefer the more aggressive razors. My Muhle 41 is arriving today, so haven’t tried it yet. If I had to rank from mildest to most aggressive of the 3 I’ve used, I’d say 34c<GC.84<Rocca.

If someone put a gun to my head and said pick one, at this point I would say the Rocca is my favorite. This may change though after trying the 41, we’ll see!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Ground control to @RazorTom falls down the rabbit hole, wonders where he's gone. 😝

I'm new to this forum and recently jumped into the world of wet shaving.

Welcome, welcome, welcome! :)

I will surely buy just 1 (a Merkur 34c) and use it for life!"

You always remember your first, but since there are plenty fish in the sea, you never use your first one for life.

Welp, I'm only 2 months in and already own a Muhle Rocca, RazoRock GC .84, Merkur 34c, and Muhle 41! 😂

What better way, to celebrate the spooky Halloween holiday, then to have several sharp objects in their shave den! :thumbup: WOOT :thumbup: WOOT :thumbup:

Even thought I know it doesn't exist, I am enjoying the pursuit of the "perfect shave" with the "perfect razor."

Ahhhh, don't we all my friend, don't we all. Call out to the spooky spirits, "Oh please wise and mighty spirits, bless upon me the perfect shave." "Your wish is our command, as we will see it all the way to the end." "Wait what?" OMG, not Jason Myers! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Michael Myers Horror GIF by absurdnoise

Spooooooooky!

For the first time in my life I actually look forward to shaving and am achieving MUCH better results than I ever did with cartridge or electric razor.

The first day that I applied shaving soap to my face with a good shave brush, those were the thoughts in my head as well. And then when I started making the first shaving strokes with my DE, I couldn't help but giggle, because I was having so much fun. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I look forward to many years of RAD enabling "by them both" posts!

Thats good to hear! Because, as I am a B&B enabler, I will insure that you do! 😁

Thankfully, I have yet to be inflicted by shave soap, brush, or blade acquisition disorder...:)

Ohhhhhhhhh, but you will in time, you crush those whiskers insurgence, and be one of us soon enough.

revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Oh how I love the halloween season. So much fun.

Welcome to the Forum. This is what happened to me when I started wet shaving again back in July. Today is a perfect example of how my attitude has changed towards shaving. Today I have a rare morning off, nothing to do, and no work or mass to serve in. Where in years past I'd never consider shaving, today I lathered up some ARKO! and had a wonderful shave with my Military issue Vietnam era Tech, I even splashed on some Clubman Whiskey Woods aftershave, not that the dogs sitting on the couch care what I smell like. They mostly care if they are given treats. But I digress. I too find wet shaving to be so much more enjoyable, it changes a chore, something I have to do, into something I enjoy doing and look forward to doing. Welcome aboard and buckle up, there's a class of folks called enablers here, a few have already swooped down on your thread. As the old BTO song goes, You ain't seen nothing yet.

So I tried the Muhle R41 today and I am very pleasantly surprised by what a wonderful shave it gave me. Really not "aggressive" like I thought it'd be. I think I finally understand the difference between "aggressive" and "efficient".
The R41 is on my list as the 34C everyone raves about is no better or efficient than the Gillette C King razor in my opinion. I don’t understand its reputation. It doesn’t slice off the stubble as thoroughly or smoothly as I’d envisioned safety razors doing.

Does the R41 cause more razor burn or nicks to your sensitive areas like your neck? Does it take off more hair per pass relative to the 34C? The Merkur gets it done after three passes but it’s like cutting a steak with a butter knife. You can make it happen but it’s not an enjoyable experience.

On my current to-buy list:

- Rex Ambassador/Konsul - haven’t decided which
- Muhle R41 - Maybe this is the safety razor nirvana of slicing through stubble like a laser…we shall see.
- Rockwell something - gotta see if they’re as buttery smooth and accident free as people claim. The Merkur 34C hype was certainly unfounded so maybe Rockwells will also disappoint me.

By the way, what does RAD technically stand for?

Top Bottom