What's new

Smooth and Sweet

I'm an occasional drinker. I like the simplicity of pouring a small glass of whiskey on the rocks and enjoying a relaxing evening. I like a smooth, sweet sipper. What are your recommendations around the $50 range?

I like bourbon, a specific type of whiskey. I am siping on Evan Williams tonight, which is a decent low cost bourbon, better than Jack Daniel’s, in my opinion (not necessarily the honey that was already mentioned). As Multum mentioned, Elijah Craig makes a very drinkable bourbon. I saved a bottle of their single barrel bourbon that was a special treat to share with my adult kids on Christmas. It was only around $35 a fifth. It is more than I typically spend, but very nice to share.

If you're looking for a sweeter whiskey, I might recommend Basil Hayden's Dark Rye. It has a bit of port added to it for sweetness, but it's not overpowering like whiskies that have apple or honey flavoring.

Also, if your local store carries the Balcones Whiskey lines out of Texas, their Rumble whiskey is quite good. It is made with turbinado sugar, Texas wildflower honey, and mission fig syrup.

Cheers.

If you do want actual sweetness you might give Drambuie a try. There’s also a couple of Irish whiskeys made with honey that have some sweetness (I think one is called Irish Mist?)

If you do want actual sweetness you might give Drambuie a try. There’s also a couple of Irish whiskeys made with honey that have some sweetness (I think one is called Irish Mist?)
I was trying to figure out what movie I heard Irish Mist being mentioned. I figured it out. Eddie and The Cruisers II. Eddie buys a saxophone player Irish Mist. Then Eddie goes on stage to play with the band after telling the guitar player how bad he was.

My local Discount Liquor has both Irish Mist and Drambuie. I grabbed a bottle of Irish Mist, because I usually prefer sipping Irish Whiskey over Scotch. Wow! This drink is right up my alley. Sweet, Smooth, with a little bit of cinnamon taste. Great on the rocks.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

My suggestion on this one is a "rusty nail", being a mixture of Drambuie and scotch. I've seen different suggestions on the ratio to use, but IMHO best to experiment and find the ratio that you like best.

And to my way of thinking, using Irish whisky instead of scotch to make the rusty nail is just fine.

Oh, and my preference is a 50/50 ratio and no ice in the rusty nail. But that's just me ... make it how you like it.

My suggestion on this one is a "rusty nail", being a mixture of Drambuie and scotch. I've seen different suggestions on the ratio to use, but IMHO best to experiment and find the ratio that you like best.

And to my way of thinking, using Irish whisky instead of scotch to make the rusty nail is just fine.

Oh, and my preference is a 50/50 ratio and no ice in the rusty nail. But that's just me ... make it how you like it.
Interesting that you suggest having a rusty nail. I just had one Friday when I was out to dinner with friends. Excellent drink. Right up my alley. Not too sweet, but the Drambuie gets rid of some of the bite from the Scotch.

Interesting that you suggest having a rusty nail. I just had one Friday when I was out to dinner with friends. Excellent drink. Right up my alley. Not too sweet, but the Drambuie gets rid of some of the bite from the Scotch.
Well a Rusty Nail isn't too sweet, but Drambuie is too sweet.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
B&B tics those boxes, Benedictine and Brandy. As for bourbon, I find most wheaters fairly sweet. Makers' is the most common one. Irish also tends sweet. A Jameson's would be an inexpensive entry point. Some Port finished whiskies are in your price range. My son in law is the GM at Milam and Greene. I love their Port finished rye. It brings a great hint of Port's sweetness and excellent rye for sipping.

Top Bottom