What's new

"small black residuals" falling out of Zenith Badger

As said in the title of the thread, I observed some "small black residuals" falling out of a Zenith Manchurian badger brush.
1.jpg

So here's the story: I received a Zenith 505 Manchurian badger about 2 weeks ago. During the first rinsing, I noticed some residuals in my sink, as shown in the photo, which also appears on my soap. At first, I thought this was ok and will gradually disappear with usage. However, after using it 3-4 times and rinsing for more than 20 times, the problem still exists. I contacted the vendor and the vendor contacted Zenith. They sent me a new brush, which has exactly the same problem.

I wonder if any of the Zenith owners in the forum have similar experiences. Would this problem be fixed by just rinsing more?

Just some add-up information about some guesses: what these things can be?
I have access to a very nice microscope, so I take a closer look under the microscope.
3.png

A badger hair from this brush and a residual are put side-by-side. The "residual" clearly does not have the cuticle structure like the hair, which makes me highly doubt these are any kind of hair. My guess so far is that these are the glue somehow falling apart. But is it common to use black glue for a knot?

Very interesting. I received my first two Zenith brushes recently, one Manchurian and one mixed Manchurian/Silvertip, and I have not experienced the same problem. I am sure because I paid particular attention to it, since several other brushes, Simpson and Shavemac, had released very dark water during the first cleaning and rinsing. With the two Zenith's no dark water, no particles and almost no smell.
Same with the four boar brushes, everything was more than normal.

By the way you can contact Zenith directly using Facebook, in case you need to.

Very interesting. I received my first two Zenith brushes recently, one Manchurian and one mixed Manchurian/Silvertip, and I have not experienced the same problem. I am sure because I paid particular attention to it, since several other brushes, Simpson and Shavemac, had released very dark water during the first cleaning and rinsing. With the two Zenith's no dark water, no particles and almost no smell.
Same with the four boar brushes, everything was more than normal.

By the way you can contact Zenith directly using Facebook, in case you need to.
Zenith and the Vendor offered a return. I admire their customer service so far. Just want to know if someone has similar experiences.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Truly odd. I have used probably 1000+ of badger knots and never have seen anything like this. And I check every knot I use and brush over it and see if it is clean, no loose hairs or other stuff coming out.

I wonder if at some stage this batch was exposed to moisture and the particulate matter is some sort of dried fungal growth? It certainly looks organic.

Legion

Staff member
T
I wonder if at some stage this batch was exposed to moisture and the particulate matter is some sort of dried fungal growth? It certainly looks organic.
That's what I was thinking. Presumably they wash the hair after removing it from the badger, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't dry well, or was stored somewhere damp, and that is mould.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Presumably they wash the hair after removing it from the badger, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't dry well, or was stored somewhere damp, and that is mould.
What's the smell like ... got the funk?
Ew!

Top Bottom