What's new

Single origin coffee sources

Hi, I'm new to badger and blade. When I saw this forum I thought maybe it was a place I could ask this question. I used to live in Lexington, KY which has a great coffee store that roasts their own beans and has an extensive selection of single country origin coffees. Three years ago I moved to St Paul MN. I have yet to locate a similar store here in the Twin Cities. All the coffee stores seem to only offer blends whose ingredients remain a mystery. I really enjoy experiencing the differences between the coffees from Africa, Indonesia, and Central America without having them all mixed together. I haven't found a great source for the single origin coffees online either. Another issue I find is that often when I do find a single origin offered, it has been roasted so dark you wouldn't be able to distinguish from something from another region.

Any recommendations for online stores that would be good sources? Or if any of you are in the Twin Cities, a shop locally?

Thanks

I don't buy roasted coffee online, but have heard favorable mention of counterculturecoffee.com
Not sure if their prices are competitive, but was good to see them describe the roast level for each coffee.

Reactions: Avi
Let the adventure begin!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Calling @Mick and @Lightcs1776 !

I have a commoner's taste buds: I just buy Dunkin Donuts pre ground in a big ole bag!

There are lots of knowledgeable folks here that should chime in!

Have you considered roasting your own? You can roast simply or all out, from a cast iron skillet or popcorn popper (free to less than $30) to a SR800 or Behmor AB (less than $500) up to an Allio Bullet or Sonofresco roaster (3k and up). Green beans can be less than $3 a pound for some Columbian or Honduras varieties to $7-8 a pound for fancier varieties, unless you are into Kona or Jamaican beans, which can be over $30 a pound. It is not hard to roast a decent batch of beans and over time you can roast some excellent batches of beans. You do need to be able to vent the roaster outside if you roast indoors, as it will produce some smoke. I know some folks roast under a stove vent and others vent out a window. I roast outside so I don't have to worry about the smoke.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Let the adventure begin!
Wow paradise coffee looks amazing 🤩

Okay, full disclosure: coffee that has been passed through the digestive system of the cat mentioned in the Bucket List movie is on my bucket list.
I expect a detailed report back comparing the subtleties of the flavor differences between this and the Finest Dunken Donuts coffee you can procure🐈💩☕
But seriously, this is a really interesting read.

Wow paradise coffee looks amazing
Yes it does! And if the original poster doesn't come back with a report about what they tried and some tasting notes, I am going to have to order some. Actually, I am just going to put it on the to order list.

I tested some single estate coffees but it's not my thing. With tea this can be very interesting but with coffee it's just dull and flat. I prefer a complex blend that even contains a small portion of good robusta beans. But it is very difficult to come by good coffee these days. Mostly I got it from Italy but it is quite pricy.

I tested some single estate coffees but it's not my thing.
What do think about coffee from co-operatives? They are mostly in Africa, but there are a few in Latin America. You won't get any Robusta though. You might want to ask for help at a local roaster to identify exactly what it is in certain coffees that you like. And what it is you would like to avoid. They should have suggestions to help you narrow your search. Are you sure it's not down to roast level?

Hi, I'm new to badger and blade. When I saw this forum I thought maybe it was a place I could ask this question. I used to live in Lexington, KY which has a great coffee store that roasts their own beans and has an extensive selection of single country origin coffees. Three years ago I moved to St Paul MN. I have yet to locate a similar store here in the Twin Cities. All the coffee stores seem to only offer blends whose ingredients remain a mystery. I really enjoy experiencing the differences between the coffees from Africa, Indonesia, and Central America without having them all mixed together. I haven't found a great source for the single origin coffees online either. Another issue I find is that often when I do find a single origin offered, it has been roasted so dark you wouldn't be able to distinguish from something from another region.

Any recommendations for online stores that would be good sources? Or if any of you are in the Twin Cities, a shop locally?

Thanks

I can personally recommend Dave.

Here are his current SO coffees

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I vouch for the folks at Java Pura without hesitation. They are about a mile from my house, and it's where I would get all my coffee before I started roasting.

The Don Teofilo was one of my favorites, but I never had anything from them that disappointed me one bit.

Top Bottom