What's new

Show us Your Tobacco Stash and Smoking Rooms

Does Borkum Riff need it's own thread where we can all lament about our experiences with it? lol
What experiences? I'd bet most of have only experienced receiving it as a freebie, then trying to figure out how to dispose of it. Has anyone opened one of those tins and tried smoking it?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No leaf stashed here. Pipe tobacco is subject to significant duties here, and so I only buy it as I use it. Currently about 25g per month.

Nasal snuff is a different issue entirely. I have bulk in glass jars in a cupboard, assorted snuff in smaller jars in a drawer, a case which holds all my "live" tins, and several cardboard boxes of other tins and jars stashed away.

The last time I got it all together for a family photo was about three years ago, before the EU TPD fiasco started. Since them, the stash has changed and grown somewhat, (the TPD fiasco actually gave me the chance to buy a lot of snuff ridiculously cheap, and I took advantage of it) but here's what it looked like three years ago...

proxy.php

What experiences? I'd bet most of have only experienced receiving it as a freebie, then trying to figure out how to dispose of it. Has anyone opened one of those tins and tried smoking it?
Oh.. er... uhmm... I might be able to speak first hand how terrible it is. As well as speak of a few of the standard pouch blends. lol

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
No leaf stashed here. Pipe tobacco is subject to significant duties here, and so I only buy it as I use it. Currently about 25g per month.

Nasal snuff is a different issue entirely. I have bulk in glass jars in a cupboard, assorted snuff in smaller jars in a drawer, a case which holds all my "live" tins, and several cardboard boxes of other tins and jars stashed away.

The last time I got it all together for a family photo was about three years ago, before the EU TPD fiasco started. Since them, the stash has changed and grown somewhat, (the TPD fiasco actually gave me the chance to buy a lot of snuff ridiculously cheap, and I took advantage of it) but here's what it looked like three years ago...

proxy.php
Wow! That's an amazing stash of snuff!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wow! That's an amazing stash of snuff!

Thanks. I've certainly got enough to see me through the next decade. Probably a while longer.

There's quite a few that are now discontinued, an assortment of plain snuffs, and several more potent snuffs that I use as mixers with the plain, rather than taking "neat" as it were.

Does snuff age at all?

It can, yes. Some seems the same as it did when I first took a pinch, while others do seem to mellow out, either just as loss of scent, or as changes in the tobacco itself. I think one factor is how moist it is. The drier snuffs remain the same, while the moister snuffs can change.

Some of my snuffs are drier than I like them, but I store them this way, and rehydrate as I use it. Sometimes a snuff that has lost a bit of it's scent can be reinvigorated by rehydrating too. However, snuff is a fickle thing, and can often vary according to temperature and the immediate atmosphere when you take a pinch, and our memories of how the smelled before aren't always accurate.

Mould can be a concern too, and I have lost a few snuffs to this, despite precautions. Some of my more moist snuffs are divided up into smaller jars, so that if I lose some to mould, it's not the entire batch. If any mould develops, I chuck the whole jar/tin. It's not worth taking chances trying to salvage anything. Even if you can't see mould once you've scooped the top layer out, the spores are still in there, and your some is the ideal warm moist place for them to flourish. No heroics, just swallow your pride and get rid.

In many ways you've just got to hope for the best, and keep your fingers crossed that you don't lose too much to spoilage.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

In late March of last year, I opened the California wine blend as a joke. I was going to smoke some, document it, and post it for laughs. The furthest I got was cracking the tin. I had to throw it out. I've only done that with one other blend.

Attachments

• IMG_20170328_183133711.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 24
proxy.php

proxy.php

Went in a slightly different direction due to closet dimensions, but this is my new and improved tobacco closet. I now have plenty of room to keep adding tobacco that I'll never live long enough to smoke.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Went in a slightly different direction due to closet dimensions, but this is my new and improved tobacco closet. I now have plenty of room to keep adding tobacco that I'll never live long enough to smoke.

Nice. Your grandson will thank you.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That or she's a tobacco mooch.

Like she's some dwarf or hobbit who wants my Smaug-like treasure. I gotta make sure she doesn't have a beard or hairy feet.
Reminds me of the dream I had about the Wendy’s girl (back when they used the cute redhead). She looked at me lovingly, came in as if about to kiss me, then stole my Penzance.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I guess I gotta start thinking about an heir now.

Would, "Would you provide me an heir for my tobacco fortune?" work as a pickup line? :001_unsur

It might with a couple of ladies at my pipe club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom