What's new

Show off your lather bowl or mug!!

My grandfather’s mug. I’m estimating it to be about 100 years old.
IMG_0193.jpeg

The custom Mugseco lather bowl I received as a 65th birthday present (with a matching brush)
IMG_1537.jpeg
IMG_1541.jpeg

My Captain’s Choice heavy copper bowl is not pictured but a pleasure to use.

20230426_144227.jpg

IDK if this counts? It's my new "Moss Scuttle" by Sara Bonnyman. This is the 'large' and as you can see it's rather diminutive in size. Big enough for my 22mm Parker BCPB brush, but smaller than my "Dirtybird 1.5 Scuttle".

I like it. The 'Moss' makes enough lather for 3-passes +.

b/r

ON_1

Those lather like no tomorrow thanks to the ripples, retain heat and look great on the counter. I had a white version from a brand called Beau Brummell at some point but rarely used it (prefer face lathering).
Beau and brummel is gonna be my next bowl purchase! I was literally just lookin on the bay for one

Alright fellas i gotta add another bowl and another bowl to the post and man does this little ceramic white and black whip up lots of lather quick, i havnt used the marble bowl yet. Not only am i a razor junkie but im turnin into a shave bowl junkie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    817.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    872.3 KB · Views: 11
Mr fancy! Thats a beautiful bowl really is, wish you knew what it actually wus cause id buy one right now!!
I have some clues now.
It is probably a very modern general use bowl inspired by Dutch brandy bowls.
These were used to serve a treat as a toast during special occasions and they would put "boerenjongens" (brandy with raisins) in the bowl and put it on the table.
The cheaper pewter version was reproduced a lot in the 20th century as just a decorative bowl and my bowl is an even newer version without the ears.
I found a another earless brandy bowl for sale that had a pewter artisans mark from the 50's. (not pictured here)
1ea7dd26-a36f-11e5-8da1-7397d9848524.jpg
20230206_152039_resized-3.jpg

Hi guys, i've got a bowl on order and in the meanwhile keep an eye open for potential lather bowls. Got this copper specimen at a fleamarket today and found a nice small travel brush too.

Attachments

• 16858776696861183868862507757061.jpg
    16858776696861183868862507757061.jpg
    928.1 KB · Views: 22

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I use the Captain's Choice Copper Lather Bowl daily:
View attachment 1666043View attachment 1666047
I know you know this... but I have 3 CC shaving bowls (2 Aquamarine bowls and one heavy copper bowl, polished to such a bright shine that it's too beautiful to hide away in the bathroom) and I use all three for accent pieces around the house. I've never been able to take one in the bathroom and use it for its intended purpose.

I did just order a large CaYuen large custom color shaving bowl. It's going to be Cobalt Blue, Dark Nebula Purple with accents of the brightest yellow Rich can find. I told Rich, because I'm color blind, I gravitate to bright colors because I can see them.

I have a large 28mm Brett Mozingo fan knot set in a Rudy Vey cobalt Persian handle. It's going to be ummmmm "large", from all reports... too big for my Timeless shaving bowls (black and blue). Both the brush and shaving bowl are going to take some time before I see them. I don't anticipate either until sometime in July, but you never know.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I know you know this... but I have 3 CC shaving bowls (2 Aquamarine bowls and one heavy copper bowl, polished to such a bright shine that it's too beautiful to hide away in the bathroom) and I use all three for accent pieces around the house. I've never been able to take one in the bathroom and use it for its intended purpose.

I did just order a large CaYuen large custom color shaving bowl. It's going to be Cobalt Blue, Dark Nebula Purple with accents of the brightest yellow Rich can find. I told Rich, because I'm color blind, I gravitate to bright colors because I can see them.

I have a large 28mm Brett Mozingo fan knot set in a Rudy Vey cobalt Persian handle. It's going to be ummmmm "large", from all reports... too big for my Timeless shaving bowls (black and blue). Both the brush and shaving bowl are going to take some time before I see them. I don't anticipate either until sometime in July, but you never know.
Looking forward to some pictures. :cool:

My everyday workhorses... Aramis collector's shaving mug (normally holding MWF), Edwin Jagger best badger brush, Wapinecia razor.

IMG_20230729_021406.jpg

My fantastic Steve Woodhead shaving scuttle, my two biggest brushes, Ikon stainless steel OC Bulldog razor (kept ready for fast shaves.) Sadly I rarely use this scuttle because I cold water shave now.

IMG_20230729_021510.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
When I got into traditional wet shaving 6 years ago I tried a few different know shave mugs and loading from the puck and just using a soup bowl from the cupboard. Wasn't totally happy with cups and 6 years ago you had to get a customized bowl so it seemed so I improvised and designed the bowl I use today, it might not be perfect but bottom line results it is unique and works better than other ceramic's out their way before I was into traditional wet shaving. The secret to holding the coins is JB Marine weld Epoxy, they are not going to come off unless you break the bowl. The bowl has a nice hollow handle to warm up ceramic so you always have warm lather in about 20 seconds holding it under the tap if that is what you like (spoiled).
(Old archived photo's.............coins help agitate the bristles...press soap in bowl and hold under the hot water for 15-20 seconds to warm up bowl then mix lather for nice warm lather (warm lather makes shaving very enjoyable IMO).(click photo to enlarge)
Shaving bowl 5 (2).jpg
Shaving bowl 2 (2).jpg
Shaving bowl Septemper 11, 2022.jpg
Shaving bowl 4 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom