What's new

Show me your "Black" Rifle

:w00t:

Wow! So many choices. There are some really cool builds here.

This is my plain vanilla flat-top M-4gery from PSA with a handle added. The .45 is a Springfield Armory "Loaded," and, of course, a Kabar.

$20141226_115933.jpg

I'm really more into the flavor of classic U.S. military arms from back when raw linseed oil-treated walnut stocks reigned supreme than I am the black rifles. Stuff like this old 1913 production U.S. Model 1903 Springfield (well, this one was made at the Rock Island Arsenal) really "floats my boat."

To bring this post back to the subject at hand...

The angle of the afternoon sun made this burst gallon milk jug full of lake water look ever so much more spectacular with a fortunately timed shutter in this "action shot." My wife showing some tentative new rifle shooters we had with us how it's done with the Colt SP-1 featured earlier in this thread.

I'm really more into the flavor of classic U.S. military arms from back when raw linseed oil-treated walnut stocks reigned supreme than I am the black rifles. Stuff like this old 1913 production U.S. Model 1903 Springfield (well, this one was made at the Rock Island Arsenal) really "floats my boat."

At least the sling is black, right?

$03A3 b.jpg

Here is my black rifle;
$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

A Rossi 92 in .45Colt
10 rounds of fast aimed destruction.

a .45 Colt from a 16" barrel makes about 1700 fps with a 450gr bullet good for 1590 fpe. That is plenty of knockdown power for most anything that walks. At 150 yards the bullet is still traveling 1080fps and has 790 fpe and drops just over 5 inches. So at 150 yards I have about the same energy as a 357 magnum at the muzzle of a pistol.
And nobody gets that creepy that's an assault weapon look when they see it.
Most say hey that's a cowboy gun isn't it?

And I may or may not also have one of these with a two digit serial number;
$image.jpg

Predator Custom PCS-15

made in Knoxville Tn.

Last edited:
I too am a fan of "real wood and steel". I had an '03 made by Springfield in 1919. It had the original sling and was a shooting SOB. I used to hit a refrigerator sized rock that was 1007 yds from my shooting spot. I could hit it 3 out of 5 with milsurp Greek ammo. Still kicking myself in the *** for selling it.

Meanwhile, I've got this old thing.
proxy.php

It's 100% July 1942 production. Carried by a SEABEE through the island campaigns in the Pacific. Uncle Homer brought it home with him. He was killed the year I was born in 1952 in a crop dusting accident.

proxy.php

I still drag it out every few years and blow the cobwebs out of it. It still has the uncut op rod, so I don't shoot it a lot.
Has the pretty early production wood too.
proxy.php

Happiness is a warm Garand.
proxy.php

proxy.php

True dat!!

An EBR is a must-have in any gun safe, but there is nothing like the look and feel of a 1903 or M1. I have a few of each, but none are as cool as your Garand with its family history.

Thanks.

I'm a die hard .30 man. Have no use for the 22 cal stuff.

Old hard head I guess. First time my stepson got introduced to that rifle, I showed him an old unused telephone pole. I stepped back 50 or so yards and shot it. I told the kid to go dig the bullet out. He dug a big hole and then I told him to check the back side. He saw where that 180gr had come out and got mad at me for letting him dig so long before telling him.

Told him he'd damn sure remember not to hide behind a pole or tree of like size if somebody was shooting a real rifle at him. ;)

Thanks.

I'm a die hard .30 man. Have no use for the 22 cal stuff.

Old hard head I guess. First time my stepson got introduced to that rifle, I showed him an old unused telephone pole. I stepped back 50 or so yards and shot it. I told the kid to go dig the bullet out. He dug a big hole and then I told him to check the back side. He saw where that 180gr had come out and got mad at me for letting him dig so long before telling him.

Told him he'd damn sure remember not to hide behind a pole or tree of like size if somebody was shooting a real rifle at him. ;)
EBR = "Evil Black Rifle" It doesn't matter what caliber it is, if it's black with a pistol grip, a flash suppresor and collapsible stock, the antis think it's evil.
A .308 AR-10 will put a hurtin' on a phone pole too. Just without as much style as the Garand. ;)

I posted my EBR earlier in this thread. Mine's actually an EGR in 7.62 NATO. ;)

Ammo for that Stg-58 is slightly easier to find and pay for than ammo for that M-1. Glad I stocked up a lot of years back and bought several cans of M2 ball, enbloc, in the bandoleers. I could sell one of those cans at today's prices and pay for all the rest, but I think I'll just hang on to what I've got and pray that I never need it for what it was designed for.

I've lusted after Garands for years. Never got one, yet. I'm a die hard .30-06 devotee. Currently (re)building a 1917.

Beautiful rifle.

I've lusted after Garands for years. Never got one, yet. I'm a die hard .30-06 devotee. Currently (re)building a 1917.

Beautiful rifle.

Those 1917's are butt ugly, however they are one of the strongest actions on the planet. :)

M-1's are interesting old ducks. They're picky about what they're fed. If you don't feed 'em stuff that was loaded for the design parameters of the rifle, they'll shell out, bust operating rods and in general turn themselves to junk unless you have a ported gas plug and set it accordingly. Other than that? I LOVE THE HEAVY BASTARDS!

I hated it when I had to run at "high port arms" in boot camp though. 9.5 lbs feels like 950lbs after a mile or two with one of those things over your head. :/

Garands are awesome! I was shooting mine this past week. Have an HRA, Winchester, and Springfield. The Springfield is a bring back from a friend who was a waist gunner on a B-29. he said an Army sergeant gave him the Garand at the end of the war. What a gift. The other two came from the CMP.

Top Bottom