What's new

Shotgun question

Those would be flechettes, There is much debate as to wether they are even legal under the geneva convention. If the Military might get in trouble for using them in a war zone, I am sure that a civilian court would have you sitting next to Charlie Manson in a heartbeat.

The US military tried them in Vietnam, and did away with them pretty quickly, I believe the IDF just got into a problem using them in Gaza back in January.

Those would be flechettes, There is much debate as to wether they are even legal under the geneva convention. If the Military might get in trouble for using them in a war zone, I am sure that a civilian court would have you sitting next to Charlie Manson in a heartbeat.

The US military tried them in Vietnam, and did away with them pretty quickly, I believe the IDF just got into a problem using them in Gaza back in January.

Well, the military also can't use hollowpoints, which are the standard defense round for handguns. Plenty of home-shooting situations get no-billed by the grand jury, at least here in TX.

I can empty all 13 rounds from my Glock and have 13 more racked and ready probably before I can get 3 rounds into a shotgun.

Errr, out of practice, Andy?

(kidding. :biggrin: )

Seriously, though, at the range I do the RSO thing at, there are shotguns once a week. Makes a devil of a mess that takes ten of us to clean up before the next night's opening but it is part of the offerings at the club. If a pantywaist no-holsters Canadian club does it, it is probably more common among my southern neighbour. :001_smile

Regards,

- John

I don't really need a pistol and am leaning towards a shotgun for home defense BUT with a pistol I have closer access to shooting ranges.

If I buy a pistol, do most people recommend getting fixed sights (cheapest), adjustable sights( a bit more), or night sights (even more)?

My initial thoughts were to get fixed because it is cheapest. I am not going to be shooting from 40yrds out so I don't think I need the adj sights to fine tune my accuracy. Night sights seem cool BUT wouldn't they give away your position if you are in the dark?

Also are most stock night sights fixed?

I don't really need a pistol and am leaning towards a shotgun for home defense BUT with a pistol I have closer access to shooting ranges.

If I buy a pistol, do most people recommend getting fixed sights (cheapest), adjustable sights( a bit more), or night sights (even more)?

My initial thoughts were to get fixed because it is cheapest. I am not going to be shooting from 40yrds out so I don't think I need the adj sights to fine tune my accuracy. Night sights seem cool BUT wouldn't they give away your position if you are in the dark?

Also are most stock night sights fixed?

Not anymore than the muzzle flash would.......

Tom

There are upsides to having a handgun in the house vs a long gun, for example, it would be awkward to answer the door late at night with a shotgun, the handgun allows you more maneuverability/concealable in the house and is easier to keep at hand. If you can go yo the range more then you will be more proficient with it.
If you are serious about this, a security/ self defense class is the way to go. Most of the NRA run classes cover the use of deadly force laws in your state.

I have a Mossberg 500 and a Benelli Nova. Great to shoot around and neither breaks over $400 a piece. I've never seen an indoor range not allow a shotgun. Usually all indoors allow up to a 30-06.

Devils toothpicks, an option that hasnt been put forth here is one of the best home defense things going a dog, they make nosie and goombas dont like noise. I keep a pistol under my bed that can be ready in about 2 secs. Another thing is the shotgun can be taken from you kinda easy.

I have a Mossberg 500 and a Benelli Nova. Great to shoot around and neither breaks over $400 a piece. I've never seen an indoor range not allow a shotgun. Usually all indoors allow up to a 30-06.

I don't go often but have never seen anyone use a shotgun at a indoor "pistol" range.

I need to call and ask though. This gives me hope.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
It is another of those dang Mileage May Vary Things, but I guess the owner of the property might have the right to decide what goes? Or is this more a decrying post from a Manhatten Island guy who can't golf either? Pick your ground & live with it :)

I have not shot a 870 in years, so I can't remember. Can you hold the trigger back and just pump to fire or is there a interlock so that you have to release the trigger to fire every round?

I currently have a Ithaca 37 which the Rem 870 is based on. It has no interlock. I was thinking it was one of few shotguns that was that way.

Last edited:
I also like a Remington 870 smooth barrel rifle sights. I however, have to disagree with 00 Buck. If you miss the bad guy you have 8 .38 rounds flying down range. These will easily penetrate interior sheetrock covered walls. Faced with an intruder in your home in the middle of the night, you do not want to have to stop and think, "Is the kids bedroom behind the bad guy? What about my neighbors?". With 00 you need a positive backstop. I keep my 870 loaded with #4 shot. A hit will incapacitate an intruder, a miss won't keep traveling down range as far with as much penetrating power.

I have not shot a 870 in years, so I can't remember. Can you hold the trigger back and just pump to fire or is there a interlock so that you have to release the trigger to fire every round?
No. You can do this with the Winchester 1897 models, though. Winchester doesn't make this model anymore, but Norinco makes a pretty good copy of these shotguns for around $400 bucks. They make a Cowboy model and a Trenchgun model.

I however, have to disagree with 00 Buck. If you miss the bad guy you have 8 .38 rounds flying down range. These will easily penetrate interior sheetrock covered walls.

Yes, but not nearly as much as a .38spl. OP, check out the Box o' Truth website, lots of information there about penetration and whatnot.

As far as suggestions? I have a Mossberg 590A1 Persuader as my "tacticool" shotgun:

proxy.php

That's not mine, but it looks pretty much the same.

OTOH, I also have a *cough* few other guns. Which one I grab depends on the scenario. Knock on the door at three AM? My Glock 19 will be with me. Window breaking at the same time? I'm grabbing the Mossy. Riots in the streets? I'll be on the roof with one of my AR15's, watching the mayhem.

If you go with a Mossberg, make sure you get one with double action bars on the slide. At one time they were single and prone to breaking.This happened to me in a non-tactical situation. It left a bad impression that is hard to overcome. I would never trust a Mossberg after that happened.

Yes, but not nearly as much as a .38spl. OP, check out the Box o' Truth website, lots of information there about penetration and whatnot.

As far as suggestions? I have a Mossberg 590A1 Persuader as my "tacticool" shotgun:

proxy.php

That's not mine, but it looks pretty much the same.

OTOH, I also have a *cough* few other guns. Which one I grab depends on the scenario. Knock on the door at three AM? My Glock 19 will be with me. Window breaking at the same time? I'm grabbing the Mossy. Riots in the streets? I'll be on the roof with one of my AR15's, watching the mayhem.

Zombie attack? :D

The indoor range I visit on occasion allows me to use my Mossberg 590 with slugs - but not pellets of any kind. I just go to stay in practice with it.

Shotguns...ahh, yes.

Here's one of the evil Winchester '97s without a disconnector, that enables the gun to be fired with the trigger held back while being pumped. I just got this one and it has worked over by a top cowboy action gunsmith to be very slick.:biggrin:

My dad used one very much like this in Vietnam until a part broke on it, and then he went to a Winchester Model 12, another nice pump. I won't add any advice to the thread as it already has plenty.

(Except, I would favor an 870 also in modern scatterguns, though something like this old '97 will still do the job if you will. My dad liked the way you could get a nice tactile feel for the condition of the weapon by feeling the hammer, even in the dark. If one holds the trigger back, the hammer may be thumbed back silently. Cool.)

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom