What's new

Shoe Shining Disorder. What Have I Done!

For those of you with 100 x more experience than my humble self.
Pigs hair brush, worth it? Softer than horse hair? What's the attraction 🤔?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
For those of you with 100 x more experience than my humble self.
Pigs hair brush, worth it? Softer than horse hair? What's the attraction 🤔?

It is really more of a bristle and definitely stiffer than horse hair or goat hair (which feels soft like a feather).

I obtained a pig bristle brush to brush suede shoes and pebble-grained leather.

I’ve also heard it recommended for use after applying cream/wax for a more even application on the shoe although I have never used it in this way (nor intend to).

Last edited:
It is really more of a bristle and definitely stiffer than horse hair or goat hair (which feels soft like a feather).

I obtained a pig bristle brush to brush suede shoes and pebble-grained leather.

I’ve also heard it recommended for use after applying cream/wax for a more even application on the shoe although I have never used it in this way (nor intend to).
Thanks

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I signed up for one of these when they make another run.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Blunnies got some work today.

Bick 4 Leather Conditioner
Saphir Fawn Cream
Saphir Mahogany wax
Saphir Mirror Gloss on toe cap and heel

After applying the mirror gloss on one boot, I eventually went with just the mahogany wax and bulled the toe and heel.
IMG_7341.jpeg
IMG_7345.jpeg
IMG_7343.jpeg
IMG_7346.jpeg
IMG_7344.jpeg

IMG_7347.jpeg

Hey guys got a question for you since your responsible for leading me down this rabbit hole. Does anyone know where I can purchase a oval shoe shine brush? I really want to try one, I think it will be easier for me to handle it with my disability. As always, please and thank you.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
@YHWH

A quick Google search turns this one up

I’ve never purchased from them so I don’t know anything about them.

Same brush turns up here at The Elegant Oxford who seems to have a good presence in the world of shoe shining.

Then, there is Brift H. Again, taking it to the next level.

@YHWH

A quick Google search turns this one up

I’ve never purchased from them so I don’t know anything about them.

Same brush turns up here at The Elegant Oxford who seems to have a good presence in the world of shoe shining.

Then, there is Brift H. Again, taking it to the next level.

Thanks for your help 👍.

WHAT HAVE I DONE!

[/URL]

You see, it all started when I watched this video about bulling shoes...

[/URL]

It seemed like a good thing to do and gave your shoes a great finish on the captoe. So I decided I would do some of my shoes. One night, I shined one pair. Another night, another pair.

The wife is starting to :glare: .

Another night, another pair. Mrs. Gold tells me that the smell of the shoe polish is giving her a headache. :rolleyes:

Another night, another pair. I can't stop. More :glare:'s.

My arms are starting to get tired from shining shoes. I need some help. I need a valet. I need a....

SHINE BUTLER!

That's right a shine butler. So I go out to my nearest shoe repair joint and get a shine butler. I go into the deep recesses of the unfinished section of my basement and BAM!

2 screws into a 2x4 and my shoe shine stand is in business. :punk:

[/URL]

I begin a covert operation :shifty: and start to bring all the shoe shine accoutrements down into the basement. Brushes, clothes, waxes, polishes, leather conditioners, t-shirts...

BUT WAIT!!! Sssssh. Quiet...

Mrs. Gold: Honey, what are you doing down there?

Johnniegold: :scared: Nothing honey. Just killing some spiders.

Mrs. Gold: Oh, well that's good then.

Johnniegold: :w00t:

Now, to get situated...

[/URL]

[/URL]

And now the work begins...

Bulling a pair of Johnston & Murphy shoes from their now discontinued Estate Collection:

The shoe on left has already been bulled while the one on the right has not.

[/URL]

BEFORE BULLING...

[/URL]

AFTER BULLING...

[/URL]

FINISHED...

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

So there you have it. The Shine Butler. Honestly, it is a very relaxing process. Throw on some nice jazz records and it is a nice way to get something important done, like polishing a pair of shoes. :yesnod:

Mrs Gold: Are you still killing spiders down there?

Johnniegold: Be right up, honey. :001_smile

She's so cute. :biggrin:

Btw, Henry, if you send me your shoe collection, I promise I will treat them with the utmost care. My shoe shines usually have a turnaround time of 2-3 years. :whistling:

After more than 10 years and quite a few post, one question remain. Have you reached the pink pompadour level yet ?

IMG_1541.jpg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
This pair of Alden black shell cordovan captoes got the once over yesterday.

Just getting started… laces out! (shoe on left already conditioned and vamp worked on with both deer and sleeking bone).
IMG_7466.jpeg

Working the vamp with both the deer and sleeking bone.

Before:
IMG_7467.jpeg

After:
IMG_7468.jpeg

Polished, waxed, brushed and finished off with a chamois.

IMG_7475.jpeg
IMG_7472.jpeg
IMG_7474.jpeg
IMG_7471.jpeg

IMG_7470.jpeg

With the shoe trees now in, these shoes were placed in their flannel shoe bags and put back in their box.

Pre-Covid, this shoe would have seen more action in another week or two in the daily work rotation.

Now, with the post-Covid shift to more a dressed down, casual office, it will be many months before these see daylight again.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I notice the back seams of the shoes have some variation in them. Is that just how Alden makes them depending on the piece of leather they happen to use?

Ah… the discerning eye. 😀👍

For the most part, Alden shoe construction is pretty consistent but at times their QC has been called into question.
1704671433951.jpeg

If you are referring to this area of the shoe
IMG_7503.jpeg

That is actually a slight tear in the leather that occurred after approx. 15-20 years of wear.

IMG_7510.jpeg

Also, with shell cordovan, the color of the leather can show a variety of shades within one pair of shoes (particularly in the lighter colors of shell cordovan, i.e. Ravello, mahogany) as well as some other slight variations but that adds to their overall character, imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom