What's new

Shoe polish reviews

To not only get the shine you want, spitshine or not, but to learn why and how quality shoes have to be taken care of, as well as pick up the right equipment, nothing beats Saphir. In EU Shoecare Shop, in US Kirby Allison's Hanger Project (they both also sell DE gear). Check out a Saphir guide and it all starts to make sense:
https://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/presidential-shoe-shine-guide/

Also, not unlike with DE shaving, there's something zen about nurturing one's shoes, as well as the tradition, natural ingredients etc.

An often overlooked element, though, to keep good shoes looking like new for a very long time, is never to wear them two days in a row and using shoetrees, which have to be wooden to absorb moisture. The black shoes above, p.ex., look like they haven't been shoetreed, which is why they lose their shape and grow creases.

I'm old !!...I get it ! :tongue_sm

Attachments

• $cam.jpg
    $cam.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 47
  • $camm.jpg
    $camm.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 47
  • $camel.png
    $camel.png
    356.5 KB · Views: 47
For fine dress shoes I using nothing but creams since they condition the leather. Allen Edmonds makes a cream for every color shoe they sell, and they're all excellent. Johnston & Murphy also makes a good cream in a variety of colors. I'm sure there are others. I also have colorless, or white, cream for my boots. I never use old school KIWI type polish on any leather product. KIWI will give you a great shine, which is why I used it on cheap black shoes or black combat boots in ROTC. But its a paste on top of the leather and clogs the leather's pores.

To not only get the shine you want, spitshine or not, but to learn why and how quality shoes have to be taken care of, as well as pick up the right equipment, nothing beats Saphir. In EU Shoecare Shop, in US Kirby Allison's Hanger Project (they both also sell DE gear). Check out a Saphir guide and it all starts to make sense:
https://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/presidential-shoe-shine-guide/

Also, not unlike with DE shaving, there's something zen about nurturing one's shoes, as well as the tradition, natural ingredients etc.

An often overlooked element, though, to keep good shoes looking like new for a very long time, is never to wear them two days in a row and using shoetrees, which have to be wooden to absorb moisture. The black shoes above, p.ex., look like they haven't been shoetreed, which is why they lose their shape and grow creases.
...True...I used these at work every day ,never treed ,they are at least 20 years old and beat to hell,perfect for experimenting !

I started diving into the discussion here. And then, found I am at Amazon saving many of the Woly products for future ordering. Too easy to see the expected shopping list go over 200 US in short order. I started to walk away, and then realized I really do need to stop and say thank you for the wonderful resource! I'll be looking back here for reference in the days to come!

Top Bottom