What's new

Shoe polish reviews

Angelus Roll Call military grade black heel & sole dressing,not much to say other than this is great stuff,really covers,even with one coat it covered these BROWN heels perfectly and the shine is fantastic.:thumbup1:

Attachments

• $IMG_0001 (2).jpg
    $IMG_0001 (2).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 171
  • $IMG_0006.jpg
    $IMG_0006.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 170
  • $IMG_0007.jpg
    $IMG_0007.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 171
knlgskr...ever try black-neutral-black or black-cordovan-black ??...How does the middle coat of brown come out appearance wise ?....fuzzypeg.... Meltonian is manufactured by Kiwi.Sara Lee sold Kiwi to Johnsons Wax a few years back,however Kiwi is made in several countries,but it looks like the Chinese version,one I have seen in Africa,is "unauthorized"... http://www.bootdog.com/goop.html.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi_(shoe_polish).... Another legendary shoe polish is the British Cherry Blossom brand,once almost destroyed by Sara Lee ,but was forced to resell the brand.Still being made in Britain with great care ,I am trying to obtain a few cans to try.This is another classic being counterfeited in PRC.NOTICE,this article states Johnsons wax has farmed out production of Kiwi waxes (probably Meltonian as well) to Jakarta. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9091839/Cherry-Blossom-shoe-polish-maker-puts-a-shine-on-its-profits.html

Have also tried those combinations and all work well. The Brown blends well with the Black. Thank you for mentioning Cherry Blossom Polish; I had not heard of it.

Cherry Blossom and Kiwi was all we could get in India till recently, and both of them have been around as far back as I remember. However, I remember that we used to get shoe cream bottles earlier from Cherry Blossom - all those have disappeared now. All we get is the polish tins and the instant sprays / oozers.

Lately, a German brand has entered the market here - name's "WOLY". The products are much better packaged, and much more expensive than CB or Kiwi. They are also not available everywhere, but only in select shops. I'm planning to get some this weekend to see how they are. Meanwhile, anyone used this brand?

That's sad to hear about Kiwi. Does anyone know if Lincoln still makes a good wax? I remember their black shining up to glass.

Guru17....The tins of Cherry Blossom you are seeing,are they marked "made in England" ?...I know China is counterfeiting CB ,but I believe,at least at one time,India had it's own "authorized" factory. Puzzone....Yes,Lincoln is still quality stuff,their entire line.If you were getting that super black gloss you probably were using the "USMC" parade gloss version,which has less wax and addition of silicone.

Lately, a German brand has entered the market here - name's "WOLY". The products are much better packaged, and much more expensive than CB or Kiwi. They are also not available everywhere, but only in select shops. I'm planning to get some this weekend to see how they are. Meanwhile, anyone used this brand?
I've used a Woly cream, and it's pretty good - it penetrates well.

To nourish and clean shoes from old shoe polish, I use the crème essentielle by Grison :

$CremeEssentielle_139.jpg

Then I apply crème surfine by Saphir, which is enough to polish, protect and nourish the leather

$yui.jpg

For the shine the toe cap, bee's wax shoe polish,

$z-cire-d-abeille.jpg

My first time using this black polish from Poland ,made with (lots of) carnauba wax and natural beeswax.I stripped my old shoes of wax buildup with a couple of rounds of 91% isopropyl alcohol.A nice massage with Mr. Leather cleaner,wipe down with cotton cloth ,then a 30 minute soak in Zoe's Venetian cream.A good brush off,re-apply the Venetian,another 30 minute rest,brushing once more and then the application of Buwi black.Lots of wax in this one,and sparse but acceptable pigment.This shoe wax looks like it was formulated for protection ,more than for a high gloss,and that is perfectly fine,Poland has some brutal weather,and this would be a good polish for our winters here.

Attachments

• $IMG_0006.jpg
    $IMG_0006.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 124
  • $IMG_0013.jpg
    $IMG_0013.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 124
  • $IMG_0016.jpg
    $IMG_0016.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 122
  • $IMG_0017.jpg
    $IMG_0017.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 123
  • $IMG_0022.jpg
    $IMG_0022.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 125
results :

Attachments

• $IMG_0029.jpg
    $IMG_0029.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 121
  • $IMG_0031.jpg
    $IMG_0031.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 123
  • $IMG_0032.jpg
    $IMG_0032.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 124
  • $IMG_0033.jpg
    $IMG_0033.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 124
  • $IMG_0034.jpg
    $IMG_0034.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 126
Guru17....The tins of Cherry Blossom you are seeing,are they marked "made in England" ?...I know China is counterfeiting CB ,but I believe,at least at one time,India had it's own "authorized" factory. Puzzone....Yes,Lincoln is still quality stuff,their entire line.If you were getting that super black gloss you probably were using the "USMC" parade gloss version,which has less wax and addition of silicone.

Nope, not Made in England - they are made in India, and have been for as long as I remember, and they don't have the Parade Gloss version available here - no takers for premium products I guess.

I've used a Woly cream, and it's pretty good - it penetrates well.

Thanks. Have bought their leather balm and cream this weekend, and just used it on my run down daily wear. Reasonable results, but I will wait for a few more uses on other shoes too before I put down my thoughts.

Here's a new treat , Greek Camel wax....As usual for these tests ,I first strip the finish with 91% isopropyl ,then strip with acetone ( nail polish remover ) ,then another massaging with the 91%.....Half hour dry time ,then one single coat of wax,5 hours dry time followed by horse hair brushing and cotton cloth buffing..If these were "good" shoes I wouldn't torture them like that, and I would do 2 thorough Venetian Shoe Cream massages before polishing......This wax has very little petro odor , actually smells pleasant !...Goes on smooth and easy , very moist.Good ,but not excellent pigment , covers fairly well ,looks like the Chinese know how to sell the Greeks a nice wax !

Attachments

• $DSCN0130.jpg
    $DSCN0130.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 54
  • $DSCN0132.jpg
    $DSCN0132.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 54
  • $DSCN0133.jpg
    $DSCN0133.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 54
The results:

Attachments

• $DSCN0142.jpg
    $DSCN0142.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 53
  • $DSCN0145.jpg
    $DSCN0145.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 53
  • $DSCN0146.jpg
    $DSCN0146.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 53
  • $DSCN0147.jpg
    $DSCN0147.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 53
I've always used kiwi paste polish. I have tried meltonia cream but haven't been able to get the shine I want on most leathers.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here's a new treat , Greek Camel wax....As usual for these tests ,I first strip the finish with 91% isopropyl ,then strip with acetone ( nail polish remover ) ,then another massaging with the 91%.....Half hour dry time ,then one single coat of wax,5 hours dry time followed by horse hair brushing and cotton cloth buffing..If these were "good" shoes I wouldn't torture them like that, and I would do 2 thorough Venetian Shoe Cream massages before polishing......This wax has very little petro odor , actually smells pleasant !...Goes on smooth and easy , very moist.Good ,but not excellent pigment , covers fairly well ,looks like the Chinese know how to sell the Greeks a nice wax !

But would you walk a mile for it?

Only the old guys are going to get that.

Top Bottom