What's new

Shaving Soap: To cover or not to cover

I just let my soaps air-dry uncovered.

MWF in an OS mug looks like a dried up lake bed...but it rehydrates fine when I'm using it.
Vintage Old Spice in an OS mug no problem, scent was faint to start with and it still surfaces when I use it.
Palmolive and Erasmic sticks no problems.

No cover. I leave all my soaps exposed to the open air. It is no different than a bar of soap and you usually don't cover those up but rather leave them out in the open to dry after use.

To my way of thinking, the above analogy would only apply if I used my shaving soap at the same rate as bar soap. I don't because I have so many in my rotation so I elect to cover. It may not help as much as I think but I do enjoy lifting the lid of the days choice and taking in the fragrance.

Happy shaving,

Doug

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
One soap I prefer not to cover is Tabac. It's much better when it loses some of that famous scent, although it takes a few years.

I would think that if you used it up fast enough, it would be a non-issue.

Impossible for most on this forum, I know. :laugh:
What is this "use it up" of which you speak? LOL

I can already see that my "older" soaps will merely be confined to the back of the den or thrown in a drawer in favor of new acquisitions that catch my attention. Hell, even if I "only" use my three Ogalalla soaps, it could well take me 5 years to go through the 27 total ounces that I have.

Cheers!

I usually rinse my soaps off then leave them uncovered, which seems to work well. I haven't noticed the soap drying out, cracking, or any bacteria growth. However, I may pick up on some of the pointers you guys have offered! I don't want my shave mugs to transform into goddam petri dishes for chrissakes.

Top Bottom