What's new

Shaving leaves irritation bumps..

Good morning all, I’ve posted here about a year ago and everyone gave great information.

These past months I’ve been getting irritation bumps around my neck area and I’m not too sure why.

I use a Gillette SuperSpeed razor, a Yaqi Synthetic Brush, Paladin Tallow based soap, and I shave up to down.

Was just wondering why they have come back?

Happy Veterans day to all who have served the great USA, hope we all have a great weekend.

Try using less pressure and settle for a less than BBS shave in that spot. Bumps are either a result of shaving with too much pressure, which irritates the skin, or the hair growing out into the skin from shaving really close in an area where the hair grows out out a very low angle.

Post shave can be a problem here too, since you skin is always a little irritated by shaving -- I leave mine just dry after washing the soap off.

Probably razor irritation and shaving too close though.

What blades are you using -- might want to find one that works better. There are reports that platinum coated blades cause trouble for some people (which I believe) -- so a change in blades may help.

Thank you all for the replies! Sorry I had work this morning.
What is your prep pre shave? Blade and number of uses?
My prep pre shave is just a shower before. I use stainless steel double edge blades and I use them maybe 3/4 times before switching them out

Try using less pressure and settle for a less than BBS shave in that spot. Bumps are either a result of shaving with too much pressure, which irritates the skin, or the hair growing out into the skin from shaving really close in an area where the hair grows out out a very low angle.

Post shave can be a problem here too, since you skin is always a little irritated by shaving -- I leave mine just dry after washing the soap off.

Probably razor irritation and shaving too close though.

What blades are you using -- might want to find one that works better. There are reports that platinum coated blades cause trouble for some people (which I believe) -- so a change in blades may help.
I have a collection of blades, right now I’m using stainless steel blades.

Could be anything. Poor lather quality, poor blade angle, dull blades, too much pressure while shaving, not paying attention to hair growth pattern, etc.

If you have persistent ingrown hairs go to a dermatologist.

By shaving your entire face in one direction you are undoubtedly going against the grain in some areas and that is probably where you are getting bumps.
First I would highly recommend skipping 2-3 days of shaving to give your skin a chance to recover. Then try "mapping" your face by looking or feeling for exactly the direction your beard grows in over the various parts of your face. For instance my cheek hairs grow downward; neck hair grows upward. And my "chin strap" area grows inward to outward. Yours will likely be different but whatever direction your hair grows in try shaving only with the grain over every portion of your face and neck.

Not too stressed or tired get a good amount of sleep at night. I drink a lot of water too.

I have some post shave cream from the dollar shave club.

I find cream or balm can cause the issues you're having. For me, splashes work much better.

Perhaps your skin had changed? Try using witch hazel post-shave to see if that helps.

Could be anything. Poor lather quality, poor blade angle, dull blades, too much pressure while shaving, not paying attention to hair growth pattern, etc.
Yes - Technique (namely razor use) includes and trumps all. For me the biggest items are angle, pressure, beard pattern.

Looking back, a three-pass shave today will remove more growth (and much more comfortably so) than a five-pass shave when I started the journey. One simply learns to adjust for other variables, such as older blades, hurried lather (or even plain soap).

TLDR: It's easy to bicker over this soap, that brush, this blade, those pre-shave lotions, that prep method, et cetera, but no replacements exist for time and practice - They will sort out all ills in the end. You'll get there and good shaves don't get old when you do!

I have this problem too on occasion. I find that the greatest irritation and bumps for me occur when I go over areas I’ve shaved without reapplying soap/lather. The temptation to just get a small area that you missed is too much and given my setup and my angle not being optimal I think that’s what causes it for me. Even if it feels slick, it’s much easier to get the beard growth without the lather but I can feel the extra irritation right away. Even if this issue might be mine alone, I thought I’d share my mistake in case you’re making the same one here and there and not realizing it. My bumps are in the same spot as well, mostly along the neck and I shave up to down, along the grain and across the grain as my two daily passes.

Top Bottom