What's new

Shaving brush and the movie Chinatown the 70s movie

In one of the scenes actor Jack Nicholson is at the barber shop getting a shave. The barber is applying whipped up shaving soap by placing the brush in his own (the barber's) hand with the bristles parallel to his fingers and gently patting the lather onto Jack's face. I've never observed this method ever. Comments anyone?? Unlike the way we here do it here, by painting the lather like a paint brush, the barber is patting the lather and bristles onto Jack's face. You need to observe this method. Again comments, please.

Given the actor playing the barber is unlikely to be an actual baber, it seems probable that this is not in fact a "method", merely another example of fiction's relationship to reality...

Given the actor playing the barber is unlikely to be an actual baber, it seems probable that this is not in fact a "method", merely another example of fiction's relationship to reality...
Then I need to rewatch alcohol-free as I didn't notice that the barber was played by J.N.!!! Thanks for pointing that fact out.

It sounds like palm lathering. A line of shaving cream is put in the palm of one hand and the hand is held in a cupped position while a brush is used in the other hand to build a lather in the palm. Any leftover lather that did not get on the brush can just be wiped on the client's face or neck. Then, the barber can wash his hands and start in with the brush to spread the lather and prepare the client's face for shaving. Simple, no lather bowl to wash.

A variation on this is the Italian barber technique of inserting a line of shaving cream into the middle of the knot and making the lather either in the other hand, or directly on the client's face, adding a bit of water several times.

It sounds like palm lathering. A line of shaving cream is put in the palm of one hand and the hand is held in a cupped position while a brush is used in the other hand to build a lather in the palm. Any leftover lather that did not get on the brush can just be wiped on the client's face or neck. Then, the barber can wash his hands and start in with the brush to spread the lather and prepare the client's face for shaving. Simple, no lather bowl to wash.

A variation on this is the Italian barber technique of inserting a line of shaving cream into the middle of the knot and making the lather either in the other hand, or directly on the client's face, adding a bit of water several times.
Good to know!!!!!!!!!!!! This method sounds good to use on another person but not oneself.

Then I need to rewatch alcohol-free as I didn't notice that the barber was played by J.N.!!! Thanks for pointing that fact out.

No, the barber isn't played by Nicholson, but every person on set in front of the camera is an actor, unless it is a street shot on location.

I clean my brush by palm lathering under a faucet.
It's quick.
And easy to tell when the brush is clean: the lather stops forming.

Top Bottom