What's new

Shavette problem

Hey guys, I originally posted this over in the general discussion, but was advised to move it here, so hello!

I started doing wet shaving about a year ago. I started off with a DE safety razor. While my sink looked like a crime scene the first few times, I quickly learned how to control the razor nicely. Then recently I moved to a straight razor. I didn't like the necessary upkeep of the straight razor, so I bought a cheap shavette to replace it. I am using the same Feather blades from my DE razor (so I feel like my problem is in my technique, not the razors, but I could be wrong). But my problem is that the razor just isn't cutting the hair well. My first WTG pass cuts off the bulk of the hair. (If I have a beard going, I'm left with stubble, if I have stubble, I'm left with shorter stubble). Any tricky parts on my face remain untouched. In this case, the "tricky" parts are the jawline, the chin, and moustache area.

I can go over the area where the jawline connects with my chin a second time, and it looks like I havent even shaved there, it still looks messy.

I can do as many WTG or XTG passes on my jawline as I please, my jawline NEVER looks good. If I finally decide to go ATG, instead of shaving off, I rip every hair out, even with a brand new razor blade.

My chin is a very big problem area. It's the same deal as the jawline. I can do a thousand WTG or XTG passes, no more hair will come off. Even after a pass, it still looks like I have two or three days worth of growth. But the second I try to do ATG, everything is ripped out

And my upper lip presents problems as well, where I receive the same problems as before. And since your upper lip is sensitive, going ATG feels like ripping out a tree trunk.

I do all the necessary prep work I can to ensure that my shave is as ideal as possible. I take a nice hot shower immediately before shaving, I normally use shaving soap (I ran out recently), I replace my blades rather generously. I don't know what else I can do. I've watched so many instructional videos on how to use and handle the straight razor. I don't want to buy a Gillette razor and then spend $30 on replacements.

I can always go back to the safety razor, but that's avoiding the problem. And it's not extremely rare that I'll run into one of the problems listed with my safety razor.

Thanks a bunch

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well, what kind of angle are you using when you are scraping away at your face? More upright, or more flat-like? I would place the blade flat on your face, and gradually raise the spine up as you make a pass little by little until it begins to cut. If your angle is too high, and you have especially coarse hair, it will tend to catch at the stubble more than cut. With my Parker shavette I get really great shaves.

Also, it takes a great amount of skill to use a straight razor. Some people are gifted and get great shaves up front, but for the majority of us its trial and error. What kind of shavette is it?

Top Bottom