What's new

Shave shops, Louisville, KY

Also, I was told cosmetologists are not allowed to perform straight razor shaves, only licensed barbers. Is it just me, or does that seem a little sexist?
Sexist? I'd say it is just you, unless of course the credentialing requirements specify that only women can be cosmetologists and only men can be barbers.

Whole Foods carries some shaving stuff now, Kiss My Face, Burts Bees, some pure badgers (i didn't look too closely, might have been dyed).
AoS is at Sephora.
Cade at L'Occitane.
I haven't looked around Lord and Taylor but I bet they sell some of the higher end brands.

Derby City Chop Shop offers straight shaves for 15$ according to their website. Looks like a cool place. I think I'll check it out sometime in the next month or so.
Anyone run into that Cane Run Road lead?

THREAD NECROOOOO~

I'm from Lou, KY as well..not much good shaving equipment places to be had around here sadly..all the stuff I have I got from WCS.
I might swing by Heimerdinger and get a shaving mug some day..but $20 for what a $2 bowl from Wal-mart would accomplish is a bit of a tough pill to swallow.

Hello all, another Louisvilleian here. gonna have to run down to Bardstown to see some of Bob's brushes. Glad to see that more locals.

I do want to mention that there is a fun music festival coming up Sept 15 at the Brown and Forman Amph. on River Rd. It is the Jug Band Jubilee. I am in the Juggernaut Jug Band and will be playing and hanging out. Come on down, it's free!!! and BBC is gonna have a beer wagon down there. PM me if you want more info.

As for BallisticBurrito, I have found that a nice rice bowl is pretty cheep and works great and looks nice. If you can find one, a miso soup bowl even has a little divot where the spoon sits and looks like it would hold a brush.

I, too, have not found many supplies anywhere but Heimerdinger Cutlery. My barber shop (Market St. Barbers) offers straight razor (shavette, actually) shaves for $20 or a haircut and shave for $35.

They also have their own line of products called "Gage for Men". I can't get the shaving cream to lather for anything, but I really like their after shave balm.

just popped in to Heimerdinger Cutlery yesterday after work. kinda nice to browse stuff before you buy for a change.

Had a chance to run in Heimerdings this morning. The owner was in, nice fella. It was nice to see, touch, and smell some of this shaving gear. It inicially helps to settle AD, if only for a while, because now I know that this nice gear is near by. For those that have not been in the store in a while, they have added some new gear and the gentleman said that he is planning to expand his STR8 inventory.

Nice place and helpful service. If you live nearby, stop in and patronize. I was lucky to get out of there with only a puck of CIK Lime GL Soap. I was starting to feel a creaping feeling of AD and a burning sensation in my back pocket.

SWMBO told me the other day that she saw a sign at St. Matthews mall saying AoS was comming! Don't know for sure as I haven't made it up there yet, and their website has nothing on it saying they are comming to louisville but here's to hoping. When is the next "meet for adult beverages and talk shop"? I would like to attend if I am not at work and meet some locals.

When is the next "meet for adult beverages and talk shop"? I would like to attend if I am not at work and meet some locals.
we just had one last weekend, the next meetup is mad scientist party at one members house in a couple weeks.
keep an eye on the "get together/ meetup section as we usually post up about a Kentuckiana meet there.

copy that...i'll keep an eye out. Side note, I was able to get to Derby City Chop Shop this morning...man those guys are good. Advise...get there early...I was there at 0930 (they open at 10) and was the THIRD person in line...by 10 there were at least 30 people in line...I went ahead and had them give me a shave since i hadnt yet shaved today and man it was nice...been a long time since i had one of those. good work from the barber but if i really try and pay attention, i can get a closer one with my Muhle R41 than he did with the straight. All in all, a very pleasant experience and shall be returning the next time.

Top Bottom