What's new

Seattle fountain pen stores

For anyone in the Seattle Metro area, I thought that I'd post my experiences at 2 places where you can try a surprisingly large amount of fountain pens in person. Here goes -

1) Kinokuniya bookstore inside Uwajimaya (Japanese grocery store in downtown Seattle). Pilots, Platinums, and Lamys. Not only do they have the cheaper models (Platinum Plaisirs, Pilot Metropolitans (I think), and some student ones), but they have some higher end ones as well. I had a chance to try a Platinum 3776 and a Platinum maki-e (silkscreened one). They also had Preras and the Lamy Safari/Al-Star aluminum ones. I think that they had a few Pilot Customs as well. A few J. Herbin inks and definitely a batch of the Pilot Iroshizuku inks. They had a few papers, including Moleskine and another brand that looked pretty high end but I forget the name.

2) University of Washington bookstore (main one). I went there today and got to try out - a Waterman Hemisphere (nice, a little thin), a Parker Urban in Mandarin Yellow (the gold is much more reflective in real life than in pics) as well as seeing the blue and the purple striped ones in person, a Pilot Falcon with a soft fine nib (I like the nib! Reminds me of my 3776, although maybe a little wider with no pressure), a Pilot Vanishing Point (not my thing, alas), Noodler's Ahabs, Kawecos (Lilliput and Sport), and Lamy (Safari etc). They also had a few X-pen fountain pens. Waterman, Parker, Pilot, Lamy, and Kaweco. Not a bad selection at all! Also some Iroshizuku inks. I had to run, so I left before checking the inks out. I did pick up a Kaweco ART Sport in purple acrylic for 40% off (they still have some more of those, including another purple and a white) with a few others at 40% off sale until they sell out. they also have Leuchtturm and Rhodia papers in addition to a ton of Moleskines.

Both places let me dip the pens to see how they wrote.

Most importantly, if you get on their email, there is a 20% sale in a few weeks (Pilot Falcons included!). They do ship, apparently.

If there is anywhere else in Seattle with notable paper/inks/pens/etc, feel free to post here. Supposedly there is a nice paper shop downtown.

Nice list Tepp, I thought this was going to be a thread on looking for a store, was about to hit the googles for you, guess from now on when someone else asks, ill have them google you instead lol

I do wonder if there is anywhere in the Pacific NW that has Pelikans that you can take for a test drive. Or Edisons.

OK, I may have to visit Paradise Pens in Portland, OR. It looks promising! Plus, Powell's. And I know a few people there.

strop

Now half as wise
OK, I may have to visit Paradise Pens in Portland, OR. It looks promising! Plus, Powell's. And I know a few people there.

The only Paradise Pen store I've been in would NOT let me try anything until after I bought it. I had a nice conversation with the manager and told I'd been in many pen stores over the last 30 years, and had never had that experience, but he held firm. Needless to say, he did not make a sale.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The only Paradise Pen store I've been in would NOT let me try anything until after I bought it. I had a nice conversation with the manager and told I'd been in many pen stores over the last 30 years, and had never had that experience, but he held firm. Needless to say, he did not make a sale.

Not even a dip? Wow, I would have left without a pen myself, that's not a friendly policy.

Not a whole lot at the Bellevue University Bookstore. but all Fountain Pens and bottled inks at 20% off. Walked out the door with a Namiki Falcon black/gold SF, Noodlers Ahab clear, Noodlers Heart of Darkness and 54th Massachusetts and Iroshizuku Chiku-rin.
The prices after the 20% off ended up being comparable to online.
I will be hitting up the Seattle locations tomorrow or Friday.

The Seattle UWash bookstore still has some Kaweco Art Sports for 40% off (clearance) - they may still have purple and yellow. I forget if they have the white/black one.

There is a paper and ink shop downtown on 2nd Avenue, I think... I forget the name off hand. Medici fine paper? Something like that, anyway. They stock J. Herbin inks and Pelikan inks. No fountain pens but, the last time I was there, my friend bought one of their glass pens (gorgeous pens).

Michael

Top Bottom