What's new

Scotch recommendations

One part water to two parts whisky?

Water is fine, but isn't that A LOT?

Personally I don't measure it out - I add a little water at a time until it reaches what tastes right to me. 1/3 water is probably the outside for most whiskies I'd think - but it really is about preference. In other words - I agree that I wouldn't start at 1/3 water!

I'm gonna try water with my Laphroaig Quarter Cask next time, but it was pretty darn good without!

I guess it's just a YMMV thing.

Scotch with ICE, is sacrilege :thumbdown.

I drank a lot of scotch and soda with ice last summer, where I was it was cheaper than beer.

Don't worry, I was only using Famous Grouse, I would never do that to my good bottles.

Usually, a few water drops are enough.

I'm new to Scotch

Johnnie Walker Black
Johnnie Walker Red
........what's the diff?

At the risk of sounding lie a snob, the difference is that Johnnie black is fit for human consumption.

If you're not into the smoky flavor, Glenlivet doesn't use peat to dry their malt so there's no smoke in the taste, and it's one of the biggest components in the blends that Chivas makes.

If you do like lots of smoke, Laphroaig (not sure about the spelling, too lazy to go check my bottle) is good and strong and not too pricey, Bowmore is very good but a little more spendy.

In between, MacCallan and Glenmorangie are both good malts with some smoke.

If you're willing to drop a few bills, Talisker 25 is possibly the best stuff I've ever tried, and for a little less the 18 is a very nice bottle as well.

Can't give too much advice on blends since a couple bad experiences have had me mostly sticking to malts. Had some Dewars white on an airplane and thought it tasted like bad whiskey mixed with liquid smoke (not sure I didn't get some from a bad batch there, though).

Another vote for HP12 - a cracker of a scotch for what you pay. It's the staple scotch for me and the missus.
Yamazaki is an interesting Japanese whisky, mixing iodine and citrus flavours (imo).
Glenlivet 18yo is also quite nice, though a tad higher up the price bracket than you are currently looking at.
Haig's Dimple 15yo is also an excellent drop for the price.

Personally, I can't stand Johnnie Walker Red or Black - they have a very unique taste, though I've yet to try Green or Gold to see if it carries through the whole JW line. (no mention of the Blue, as the price here in Oz is quite a bit out of my budget)

Here is a chart that may be helpful:

The Single Malt Whisky Flavour Map
http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/drinks/flavourmap.jpg

Thanks,
Mike

This is a very good reference -- it will help you contextualize what your taste buds are telling you as you try different whiskies. I have a buddy who is fond of very smoky Scotch (ex. Laphroaig, Ardbeg), whereas I tend to go for a slightly smoother ride (ex. Oban).

Everyone has their own serving preferences; I'm in the camp of people who drink it straight up. Cask strength whiskey would be the exception as I think you're "supposed" to dilute it slightly.

FWIW, I think Glenlivet 12 and Glenfiddich 12 are both good values, based on the prices I've seen at the liquor store.

This thread is reminding me that my liquor cabinet currently has no Scotch in it. :mellow:

Belvenie Doublewood single malt. So very good. $35-40 a bottle.
Do not add ice to a single malt.

proxy.php

peace.

Here I go derailing my own thread...
proxy.php

Thanks again for the recommendations. I will get to them all in due time:thumbup:

At the moment I'm just enamored with the above beer. Funny, I tried it a couple years back and didn't care for it, but tastes do change. Yum!

I'm on my second snifter of Ardbeg 10 right now. That graph that was posted was right on the money with a lot of what I've drank.

Walker Black is nice if you have friends like my roomie who aren't that big on whiskey in general and you want to enjoy the same drink (we usually drink what the other is having be it tequila, martinis, etc) but as a recommendation, it's too watered down for my tastes. (For instance, the Ardbeg I'm drinking now has the tiniest drop of water in it. Just enough of a drop to make it "bloop" (my other friend likes the "blips" as I call it. He basically wets his fingers and splashes it into the glass))

I like my whiskey strong. I'll drink Wild Turkey 101 Rye straight up. And I never shoot my whiskey. I sip on it and enjoy the long complex flavor. You shouldn't have to reach back for your glass anytime soon with scotch to still enjoy the taste of it.

Macallan 18 was nice, bought a bottle for a friend for his 21st. He's jobless so he drinks it like a nun. (Barely ever)

Glenlivet 12 was my first single malt. Very fitting with a cigar and some company after the best burger you've ever made on a cool summer eve.

Honestly, I'd personally recommend starting with blends if you're new to scotch. Chivas Regal is pretty good, Black is alright. Whiskey is a very funny thing, as with beer: You'll try something one time and it'll turn your stomach and you'll think it was a bad choice. A few months later you'll wonder why you ever thought this stuff was bad.

Navy Cut mentioned one of my favorites: Caol Ila. It's powerful without being overpowering; you get a real hit of the smoke up front, but it's shockingly smooth going down, and very little aftertaste/burn. At least, that's how I remember it; been awhile.

I am partial to the peaty scotches, especially the Islays. (I think I like anything with a smoky flavor/aroma; German Rauchbier comes to mind.)

As for serving, wide glass, snifter or even a tulip, and a dash of water.

Lagavulin16 yr.
Talisker 10yr.
Dalwhinnie 15 yr.

Friends don't let friends drink blends.

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread here—
I'm sitting here sipping some Laphroaig 10 yr single malt. It's nice. I like the smoky sting to it, but the sweetness is a little too much and sits heavy on my tongue... if that makes sense. I've been looking through all the suggestions and I think I'll try Bunahhabhain 12 next. Won't be for a while though, as I've got this Laphroaig bottle.
All for now ;)

Top Bottom