What's new

Scotch recommendations

I've never developed much of a taste for whiskey, but I recently had a glass of Dewars scotch that really hit the spot. Thought I'd put my feelers out and see if anyone has further scotch recommendations for a newbie. I'd be especially interested in good ones that don't cost an arm and a leg, as I'm low on limbs at the moment anyway.:blush:

When I first started drinking Scotch, I started with blends like Dewars and Johnnie Walker . After trying many different Scotchs since then, I keep going back to Johnnie Walker Black. I always keep a bottle of it around.

Glenfiddich 12 year single malt. Or go in with a friend and get the 18 year single malt. But I should warn you that the nicer stuff will ruin you for the less expensive blended whiskies.

I prefer it straight up but many like it over 2 ice cubes.

Happy Sampling!

Bunahhabhain 12 is a great, under rated, under appreciated whisky for around $40 a bottle here

If you liked smoky, Ardbeg at around $40 a bottle is very nice.

Black Bottle is a good blend for under $30, and Grant's Family Rreserve is a fantastic bargain.

the Glenfiddich 12 is a decent light scotch to start with. I'm a huge Macallan 12 fan too. Runs about $40 and is sweet with hints of vanilla and honey. I love the stuff.

Highland Park 12yrs (single malt). You can get it for about $40. It's a nice introduction to single malt scotch.

Agreed... this is what really got me into single malts several years ago and it's always what I recommend to the neophyte. The standard Glenfiddich, Macallan, etc are okay, but if you want a bottle you're still going to thoroughly enjoy and want to stock in your liquor cabinet even after you've developed your palate for scotch and moved on to higher-shelf bottles, go with the HP12.

I've never developed much of a taste for whiskey, but I recently had a glass of Dewars scotch that really hit the spot. Thought I'd put my feelers out and see if anyone has further scotch recommendations for a newbie. I'd be especially interested in good ones that don't cost an arm and a leg, as I'm low on limbs at the moment anyway.:blush:

Did you have it on the rocks, Scotch and soda, neat?

Agreed... this is what really got me into single malts several years ago and it's always what I recommend to the neophyte. The standard Glenfiddich, Macallan, etc are okay, but if you want a bottle you're still going to thoroughly enjoy and want to stock in your liquor cabinet even after you've developed your palate for scotch and moved on to higher-shelf bottles, go with the HP12.

The HP12 is good, but the Bunnahabhain is better. I've had both, and will gladly the Bunna any day over the HP.

Of course, YMMV.

Did you have it on the rocks, Scotch and soda, neat?

I had it over a little rocks. I picked up a bottle of Dewars White Label, and I like it, though not as much as I remembered. It's sweeter than what I remember. Of course, I may have had something other than their White Label. I'll have to ask what kind of Dewars they stock next time I'm in the bar where I had it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I look forward to trying them when I have a chance. Washington state has wacky liquor laws, with state-run liquor stores that don't have much variety, so it may be a while:tongue_sm.

I would have to go with Speyburn for a good cheap single malt scotch. I always have it in stock.

I'll second that. I am new to drinking whiskeys but I found this at Safeway for $22.00. Very smooth with a sweet at first with a lightly smokey finish. Found out after I bought it it was the winner at the 2006 San Francisco World Spirits Competition.

Jay

Ahh, try the Tobermory 10 or Cragganmore 12. Both of good quality and taste. And these are on the lower end of the price spectrum. Beware, scotch prices are on the rise. A resonabable price of $60 is now pushing $85 so good luck!

I'll second that. I am new to drinking whiskeys but I found this at Safeway for $22.00. Very smooth with a sweet at first with a lightly smokey finish. Found out after I bought it it was the winner at the 2006 San Francisco World Spirits Competition.

Jay

Were the other distilleries banned? :confused1

I'm inclined to believe you, unfortunately Bunna is one I've had trouble finding every place I've ever lived for some weird reason. :thumbdown

http://shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/BUNNAHABHAIN-12YR-SINGLE-MALT-SCOTCH-WHISKY-443p10559.htm

And they ship. :thumbup1: Though the shipping charges may make it prohibitive.

proxy.php

DunEdinRanger, no clue.

As I said new to scotch & whiskeys, I'm guessing its a in class thing. I am a long time tequila guy so whiskeys are new to me so I am just having fun exploring. I reckon whiskey is like anything else, the more you pay the better you think it tastes.

Take it or leave it.... It was only my opinion.

Jay

DunEdinRanger, no clue.

As I said new to scotch & whiskeys, I'm guessing its a in class thing. I am a long time tequila guy so whiskeys are new to me so I am just having fun exploring. I reckon whiskey is like anything else, the more you pay the better you think it tastes.

Take it or leave it.... It was only my opinion.

Jay

Jay, I've tasted Speyburn and imho it is well named. It does burn. :lol: For about the same price, there is Bowmore, and a few awesome blends like Grant's and Black Bottle.

BTW, some things you may want to look for in a bottle are the words "Non Chill Filtered" and "No Caramel Added".

Will have to look for those. I don't notice a real bad burn. It is 43% vs most I have had are 40% so maybe thats the reason. Plus I think most drinks fall into the soap vs cream camp, its all ymmv. But like I said the fun is in the exploration!

Jay

Top Bottom