What's new

Saved a Savinelli 2101

I bought this a few days ago and wanted to use it for parts for another Savinelli that I have. Turns out that the stem doesn’t fit (I took a risk and knew it was a long shot). Anyway, decided to use this as a beater pipe but look at how it all started out.

IMG_2364.png
IMG_2363.png

IMG_2362.png

And here is the end result.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I used 3000 grit sandpaper and wet sanded the stem and polished up by hand. Reamed out the bowl followed by a full cleaning with warm water mixed with Murphys Oil Soap and a tooth brush. Then finished the whole thing up with some Halcyon II wax and a final buff. It’s amazing with a little know how and a little elbow grease and the end result winds up as. I know it’s missing the silver Savinelli band but it kinda looks good without it. What do you guys think.

Larry

Last edited:
Great job! I don't know the Savinelli model numbers: Is that one of their Dry System pipes? In overall shape and bend of the stem, it looks like my DS model from the Eighties.

Great job! I don't know the Savinelli model numbers: Is that one of their Dry System pipes? In overall shape and bend of the stem, it looks like my DS model from the Eighties.
Yes it is one of their dry system pipes and it’s my 2nd one. My other dry system has a replacement stem and no filter provision. This recent one also had the non filter conversion plug still inside of it which was a win.

Nicely done. That's no beater anymore.

Yes it’s no longer a beater anymore, this one really surprised me how well it turned out.

Also I found out that this model/rustic textured pipe does not have the Savinelli nickel band. I hope it’s a good smoker, just letting it dry out for a few days after the work done. I honestly thought I made a huge mistake in buying this as you can see in the before pictures, and decided to take a chance on cleaning it up. Thanks for the kind words guys.

Here is the 2 that I have, as you can see the just refurbed one really shines in the natural light!

image.jpg

Larry

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Very nice! I wonder if Vermont Freehand sells a silver mount that would fit over the stummel.

Very nice! I wonder if Vermont Freehand sells a silver mount that would fit over the stummel.
The do sell a replacement, but I found one similar to mine on the web and there is no mount. I believe the look is intentional, and it’s kinda growing on me now that the rim of the bowl matches the stummel.

I look at Vermont Freehand often for little things too lol.

Larry

IMG_2367.png

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
The do sell a replacement, but I found one similar to mine on the web and there is no mount. I believe the look is intentional, and it’s kinda growing on me now that the rim of the bowl matches the stummel.

I look at Vermont Freehand often for little things too lol.

Larry

View attachment 1758090

As long as you don’t hammer the stem in, or use the pipe to pull nails, I don’t think you’ll need any metal capping on that one.

Most of them made nowadays are primarily for decorative bling anyway.

Vauen does a lot of naked military mount models these days. It wouldn’t surprise me if that Sav came from the factory that way.

That looks like a fine forest walking pipe now. You did good.

Top Bottom