What's new

Modifying After Shaves with Witch Hazel

Today I tried mixing some witch hazel with cheap, alcoholic aftershave. I used a mix of about 25% Dickenson's Original with 75% Lustray Blue Spice. I got a little tired of the Lustray and its almost entirely alcohol feeling and weak scent. Of course the witch hazel diluted the weak scent further, but it did wind up having a better feel. Actually, here it is 5 hours later, and I still have a bit of the scent, and it is pleasant and a pleasant amount.

Any of you out there ever fooled around with witch hazel modifications to aftershaves? Please let me know what you did and how it worked out for you.

Thanks!

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I've never mixed aftershave with witch hazel, but I have a nice old fashioned gin bottle with a 75% witch hazel 25% alcohol mix in it. I added a few drops of tea tree essential oil for a bit of scent. Works really well for me I use it after every shave.

I use witch hazel and aftershave but never combined them together. I usually apply the witch hazel first before applying the aftershave. The only exception is when I use artisan aftershave that already has witch hazel in it
Yes, I have been doing that (layering with witch hazel) on occasion for years, usually with the Pinaud products, such as Clubman, etc, as mentioned above by "blethenstorm", of which most seem quite high on the alcoholic side, devoid of anything that leaves one's skin soft. Lustray products are the lowest price and grade made by Pinaud - less than $5 for 14 oz. One can buy it by the gallon for about $30 -- can't imagine doing that. It's old-fashioned barbershop stuff. I guess such shops could use it by the gallon. I like Lustray Blue Spice; it's actually not too bad for the price. I love the color, for what that's worth 🤣. It's a cheap experience I had to try; now I'm stuck with quite a bit of it, trying to make it more palatable.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have yet to try this one...

TL;DR: Richard's Rub is my #1 menthol AS.

I don't have a daily splash, but I have three splashes that never leave the den. Richard's Rub, 4Rum BB, and Floïd the Genuine. There is a bottle of straight Dickinson's there too, but I use that when I want a final rinse without any menthol or lingering scent.

I like the Floïd but am using it up and won't replace it. I often take the extra moments to splash some straight Stephan or Gabels bay rum instead of the 4 Rum BB.

I just keep blending and using more Richard's Rub. I seldom take a straight splash of OR. When I do, it's because I crave the slap in the face. I have mixed up Green Freeze, but it did not win me.

So in truth, RR is my #1. More efficient (ha ha) than first Dickinson's then OR. I don't have sensitive skin or a sensitive nose. Most days the LOTH is not around when I'm freshly shaved. So, I do what I want and most often RR is it.

Well into retirement with nowhere to go most days, Dickinson's witch hazel is my aftershave many days. I don't like aftershaves that hang around all day. They make me feel like Pigpen from the Peanuts cartoon with a cloud of aftershave instead of dust. In the 80s, I worked in an office where you could smell some higher-up long before you saw him. He thought he was suave, but even the women made fun of him behind his back. I don't want to be that guy. I love the smell of Aqua Velva but it's too strong for me. No matter how much I cut it with WH, it was still overpowering, lasting for too long. When I do use an aftershave, I generally stick with Captain's Choice or Ogallala. I get to enjoy the scent for a short time, without getting a headache. I also wasn't a fan of Bootleggers, and still have a bottle or two of S70 around.

I use Dickinson's witch hazel exclusively after my shave. It's got 14% alcohol to help heal up any nicks and scrapes, it doesn't have any strong noticeable scent which lets the scent of the soap come through, and it leaves my face feeling good. That reminds me that I need to go to the store and pick up a new bottle....I'm down to just a few drops left in the bottle!

I normally use Osage Rub then some Thayers Rose WH. A little burn and cooling when I go to bed. As a night shaver, feels nice before you go to sleep and doesn’t raise any questions from the wife. AKA, where are you going, it’s late already. From experience, anything that smell like aftershave is considered active daytime use. YMMV

I have been pondering about doing it to Clubman aftershaves, since they do not contain any glycerin and tend to be a bit harsh. A combo of Witch Hazel and Glycerin would probably be nice in them.
Start light on the glycerin. Too much glycerin makes the splash a bit sticky feeling, at least for me. I add around 5 drops of glycerin to a 4 ounce bottle of Clubman.

As kindof a counterpoint to this idea, I’ve been “cutting” alcohol-free aftershaves with an unscented aftershave with alcohol recently and enjoying the results. I tend to find a lot of splashes that are witch hazel-based or an otherwise alcohol-free formula to be a little tacky for my liking, but adding in a few drops of unscented AS seems to balance it out in a way where I really enjoy the results.

Top Bottom