What's new

Sadly, another iKon Customer Service report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the posted emails:

"Thank you for replying on a Sunday! Do you offer exchanges for razors that do not work well for customers?"

A simple "No we do not" would have been a better response, but the quoted email wasn't the first one, either.

The first question had nothing to do with the second question, and neither of them was worthy of Ikons response to the second one.

I did not expect full retail trade for my used razor. I would have been very satisfied had he offered to trade me out for one of his blemished razor heads. Or ANYTHING hospitable. Nope. "We are not that desperate for business." is what I got.

Again, I'm fine with Ikon saying they don't do exchanges, just don't give pissy, childish answers to non threatening questions. Their track record speaks for itself.

As far as the HD reference. Many thousands of dollars are made from customers trading in motorcycles they're not happy with, not receiving retail, or whatever they paid, only to buy something else.

More blade exposure = more aggressive shave, period.

I have to agree with Edgar on this one. If you hold all other variables constant, then increased blade gap = increased blade exposure = more aggressive.

That being said, I understand the complaint from the OP. It isn't with the vendor's response, it's the attitude behind the response. I firmly believe that business should be about people, not products. If you're TRULY in it to meet a need and serve your customers, making money will become an eventual by product.

The folks at iKon obviously haven't read Stephen Covey. https://www.stephencovey.com/7habits/7habits-habit4.php

There was the potential for a win-win in this situation. Give a partial refund for the product (customer wins by getting some of his money back to spend on a new product) and re-sell the returned product at a discounted rate that is still higher than the refunded amount (seller wins twice by making a very small profit on the exchange as well as fostering some goodwill with a potential repeat customer).

I know iKon is still getting plenty of business, but imagine how much more they might have without the negative publicity...

On a side note to the OP, you might check out Wolfman Razors. From the interviews and shop tours I've seen, the vendor is a genuinely nice guy who loves the wet shaving community, enjoys making the razors, and builds some high quality stuff.

On a side note to the OP, you might check out Wolfman Razors. From the interviews and shop tours I've seen, the vendor is a genuinely nice guy who loves the wet shaving community, enjoys making the razors, and builds some high quality stuff.

+1. I have an LASS BBS-1 (made by Wolfman), and the quality is outstanding. Plus, he sounds like a good guy, as well, from what I've read.

The company's competitors allow exchanges.

ONE does. His prices are $185 vs $135, so 37% higher. I was willing to pay more to ATT and I got more. Good place to get a high quality razor! Not big on email updates, but an excellent razor backed by an excellent guaranty.

But try buying a Muhle R41 from Amazon, then writing to Muhle and asking them to exchange it for an R89 because the R41 is too aggressive. I suspect their CS rep will be polite, but I don't think you will get any discount or replacement...

ONE does. His prices are $185 vs $135, so 37% higher. I was willing to pay more to ATT and I got more. Good place to get a high quality razor! Not big on email updates, but an excellent razor backed by an excellent guaranty.

But try buying a Muhle R41 from Amazon, then writing to Muhle and asking them to exchange it for an R89 because the R41 is too aggressive. I suspect their CS rep will be polite, but I don't think you will get any discount or replacement...
And I would have been fine with iKon refusing to exchange my razor had I not been spoken to like I was a waste of his time. The point of this post is continuing to be missed, but that's OK. As I said, to each their own.

The company's competitors allow exchanges.

That's probably more aptly stated as one of the company's competitors allow exchanges. Namely, ATT. That's the only one I'm aware of. Why even bother asking other vendors if they do so if they don't explicitly state it?

Had the OP bought an ATT from a reseller (as I did), would he have contacted ATT directly or the reseller first to ask for an exchange? In my case, I bought from Bullgoose and had zero expectation that they would honor ATT's 30 day exchange policy. I researched it, I bought it, If I didn't like it, I was stuck with it. I would never have even considered asking ATT for an exchange since I didn't buy directly from them. I have to question the OP's reason for contacting Ikon when he bought the razor from Maggard.

Ikon's response was not customer-savvy, but some folks are good at customer service. Some are not.

I think folks here are spoiled by the ATT business model, which is unique.

You are making my point for me. Different companies have different return/exchange policies, so it is in no way out of line to ask what that policy is.

Ikon's response was not customer-savvy, but some folks are good at customer service. Some are not.
You should either adapt and get better or be prepared to go out of business. It's 2015. I wonder how many motorcycles I would sell if I spoke to my customers like iKon does.

That's why they will earn my business and the business of many others.

I will definitely look into Wolfman.

Poor service for sure, but the issue is with Maggard's as the vendor. I would chalk it up to experience, never buy another Ikon product, and go get an original vintage Gillette from which the Ikon was cloned.
I have 2 Techs, a NEW LC, a Super Adjustable, and 3 Slims. All great shavers.

That's probably more aptly stated as one of the company's competitors allow exchanges. Namely, ATT. That's the only one I'm aware of. Why even bother asking other vendors if they do so if they don't explicitly state it?

Had the OP bought an ATT from a reseller (as I did), would he have contacted ATT directly or the reseller first to ask for an exchange? In my case, I bought from Bullgoose and had zero expectation that they would honor ATT's 30 day exchange policy. I researched it, I bought it, If I didn't like it, I was stuck with it. I would never have even considered asking ATT for an exchange since I didn't buy directly from them. I have to question the OP's reason for contacting Ikon when he bought the razor from Maggard.

No, I think that Ikon is spoiled by having had a market largely to themselves. As newer, smarter, better competitors enter the marketplace, Ikon will slowly be marginalized. When you sell razors for $135 and you're "not good at customer service," you will lose business to those who are. In 2015, bad word of mouth kills companies, and Ikon has plenty.

That's the great thing about capitalism: good companies thrive and bad companies die. Ikon will not be missed.

And I would have been fine with iKon refusing to exchange my razor had I not been spoken to like I was a waste of his time. The point of this post is continuing to be missed, but that's OK. As I said, to each their own.

As far as I know, you were not spoken to! It was an email exchange.

Lighten up way too sensitive. I too do not agree with buyer's remorse, now if it was defective that is another thing BUT it was not.

We don't buy things we all dig from time to time... I would just sell it and do some more thorough research before I make another high-end purchase. BTW, it is gap, the blade's angle of attack relative to the baseplate, how much loose blade is allowed to hang out from under the cap, and how far out the bar or teeth protrude from the cutting edge that all contribute to the aggression of a de razor.

As far as I know, you were not spoken to! It was an email exchange.

Lighten up way too sensitive. I too do not agree with buyer's remorse, now if it was defective that is another thing BUT it was not.
Again, to each their own.

Add: I never once expressed buyer's remorse or said anything negative about the product. I simply wanted a little more information about the product from the manufacturer. The manufacturer deflecting my question and offering no further information inspired my further communication. As I said, I can successfully shave with this razor without nicks, cuts, weepers, or irritation. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PRODUCT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom