What's new

Rockwell Razor Club

Which gives better shaves overall?

• Merkur Progress

• Rockwell 6s

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's hard to beat the modern classic that is the Rockwell 6S. Having neglected it for too long, I dusted mine off a few days ago and it has been stellar!

1676913197184.png

Greetings gents. I am a proud owner of the Muhle R89 and Merkur 37C slant, and have been wet shaving for a little over a year. I am seriously considering the Rockwell 6, and to a lesser extend a Henson medium. A Henson would compliment what I have, but a Rockwell would replace them both. Having one good adjustable razor for everything seems ideal (tiny bathroom). However, my issue with adjustables is that I remove my eye glasses to shave and seeing the numbers on the dial is not possible without picking up my glasses with soapy hands, which seems messy. However, with a Rockwell 6 I could literally flip a plate from 4 to 2 with my eyes closed.

Okay, now my question. I love the look of the 6C, particularly the Gun Metal version, but I am looking to buy a razor that will last as long as myself (got about 20 or so years left). The 6S is the obvious choice for a potential razor for life, but it has such a lackluster look. I know, its a tool, not a jewel. But, I do like to look at my other two razors. My concerns with the beautiful 6C is first, that the finish will wear off. Doing a search it seems this does happen to some, and of those that refer to their color choice, gun metal seems to wear the fastest. Second concern, I find that a few people have had their zamac threads corrode. I always take apart and rinse my current (zamac) razors after each use, towel dry, then air dry, and expect them to last. However, with a Rockwell, the act of changing plates can allow a wet post to screw into the handle and accelerate potential corrosion. So finish wear, and handle corrosion, are two strikes against the pretty 6C. I know if I purchase direct from Rockwell I get a lifetime warranty but still. With the 6S I spent twice as much but as Matt from Razor Emporium says, ‘buy once, cry once’.

So I am looking for any feedback on how the beautiful 6C wears with time, or if the lackluster looks of the 6S tends to grow on you.

Greetings gents. I am a proud owner of the Muhle R89 and Merkur 37C slant, and have been wet shaving for a little over a year. I am seriously considering the Rockwell 6, and to a lesser extend a Henson medium. A Henson would compliment what I have, but a Rockwell would replace them both. Having one good adjustable razor for everything seems ideal (tiny bathroom). However, my issue with adjustables is that I remove my eye glasses to shave and seeing the numbers on the dial is not possible without picking up my glasses with soapy hands, which seems messy. However, with a Rockwell 6 I could literally flip a plate from 4 to 2 with my eyes closed.

Okay, now my question. I love the look of the 6C, particularly the Gun Metal version, but I am looking to buy a razor that will last as long as myself (got about 20 or so years left). The 6S is the obvious choice for a potential razor for life, but it has such a lackluster look. I know, its a tool, not a jewel. But, I do like to look at my other two razors. My concerns with the beautiful 6C is first, that the finish will wear off. Doing a search it seems this does happen to some, and of those that refer to their color choice, gun metal seems to wear the fastest. Second concern, I find that a few people have had their zamac threads corrode. I always take apart and rinse my current (zamac) razors after each use, towel dry, then air dry, and expect them to last. However, with a Rockwell, the act of changing plates can allow a wet post to screw into the handle and accelerate potential corrosion. So finish wear, and handle corrosion, are two strikes against the pretty 6C. I know if I purchase direct from Rockwell I get a lifetime warranty but still. With the 6S I spent twice as much but as Matt from Razor Emporium says, ‘buy once, cry once’.

So I am looking for any feedback on how the beautiful 6C wears with time, or if the lackluster looks of the 6S tends to grow on you.
I went into my Gamechanger S-S with a tools not jewels approach, expecting the tumbled finish to show some machine marks.

The razor has a matted lustre (no machine marks) if that makes sense. To my sensibilities, it's a nice balance, as I view chrome finishes to be gaudy.

There's no accounting for taste. Now ... to my point.

I regularly work with machinists and polishers, and Razorock's comments about not messing up a good machining job by adding a polishing step rang true with me. Polishing is a manual operation, and there's always a possibility of buffing an unintended surface - rounding over a corner which needs to be "sharp".

I don't know if Rockwell polishes or tumbles, but assuming the "worst" case (polishing), I'd expect that Rockwell has some sort of jig to control the work piece, and I'd bet that that their QC is fine.

Still, my approach is to minimize the introduction of risk into a manufacturing process. Now, with a custom product like a Tatara, I'd have no concerns - much as my preference is for less glitz ;-)

... Thom

You have nothing to fear with the finish of the plain steel version of the 6S. If you opt for one of the coloured versions you have to accept that the colour treatment will show some dings over time. Having said that, the faint wear & tear vibe suits the 6S really well. I have both a red and a blue 6S and they look better now than they did when they were new and pristine 🙂

I have a 6s and never had a 6c but may get one. From what I’ve seen The 6s can be polished. It can also get plated by backroads gold or other plater if you don’t like the matte finish but yea more money. You can contact Chris at backroads. I would suggest trying a 6 of some sort. Smooth shaver and a workhorse. If you get the 6c keep the other 2 or at least the 37c since it is different as a slant and one beck of a shaver too. All good options. Personally I like the matte gray. It is Rockwell.

I believe I purchased my 6C over 3 years ago. I have the gun metal, just like the look of it. No issues so far. I do clean it occasionally with rubbing alcohol and q-tips, it then looks like new. It's my go to daily razor. When I let my beard grow for longer than 3 days, I use the Merkur 37C slant. It's such a smooth razor for longer beard growth. Hope this helps you decide.

Thanks for the replies. Still going back and forth between the pretty one and ‘built to last’ 6S. My brain says 6S and heart (and wallet) says 6C gun metal.

Also, interesting that two replies cited keeping my Merkur 37C slant. I use it for 2 or more days growth, and the Muhle R89 for 1 or 2 days, but never had an issue with the R89 and 4 days growth before I got the slant. So the two razors compliment each other handsomely, but a Rockwell 6 is a 6 in 1 tool. This afternoon I used my 37C and the slant easily shaved off a heavy 3 day beard (and Proraso White pre-shave and Stirling tallow based soap) resulting in a BBS - except for my usual trouble spot on one side of my neck and my usual tricky spot on my chin which needs many passes. It is those tricky areas, especially the one side of my neck that never gets perfect, and always gets some irritation, that is making me look for a better tool. Aside from that, my shaves are very good. I guess I spent over a year testing blades and soaps that work for me. My two favorite blades are Nacet and Perma Sharp, and favorite soaps are tallow based like Cella and Stirling Mutton/Sheep based tallow soaps which not only provide a better shave, but also better face feel afterword.

Last edited:
Reactions: cf1

Rockwell Warranty explained….​

For those on the fence about getting a Rockwell razor you might find it useful to know two things if you purchase direct from Rockwell instead of an independent retailer (Note, may not apply for the low end R1 razor)
1) Razor includes a 60 day return policy - with free return shipping. Most retailer will not let you return a used razor, only a defective one.
2) Razor includes a lifetime warranty, even if you drop and break it. The only catch is you will need to pay for shipping of the broken part, but not the part itself. This lifetime warranty is NOT included if purchased through a retailer - except if purchased from Amazon through their Amazon Store (not from a retailer selling through Amazon).

Knowing the above should help those considering one of their razors but concerned being stuck with the purchase if it is not to their liking. Also, sometimes when you check out their website a pop up discount code appears. All the above made the decision easy order one for myself :)

Below is the warranty info copied from their website

What is the warranty?​

We offer free replacements, free returns and a 100% quality guarantee up to 60 days after purchasing the razor to customers who purchased their product(s) directly from getrockwell.com, getrockwell.ca or our Amazon Store. After this point, we're happy to help you get any replacement parts you need free of charge, we just ask that you cover the cost of shipping the parts ($7 flat rate to the United States, $10 flat rate in Canada).

We are not able to offer support, replacements or refunds on any orders that were purchased from a 3rd party retailer. We encourage you to contact the store or seller from which you purchased if you experience any issues. You have to ask for their own warranty and return policy.

Last edited:
I have officially joined the club with the 6C in white chrome. So far I have had nine shaves and am very pleased. I have tried three different blades, Perma Sharp, Nacet, and Astra SP for three shaves each. My test shaves with plate (combo) where as follows..

3 days: 4 and 2 plate
3 days: 4
2 days: 5 and 2
2 days: 4
2 days: 3
2 days: 1
1 day: 3 and 1
1 day: 3
1 day: 2

Comments so far….
1 day shave with plates 3 and 1, I did not feel the final pass with plate 1, and was not sure it was doing anything. Then I watched a Kevy Shaves video where he was challenged to do a shave with plate 1 only. Three passes and BBS. My try with plate 1 only (2 days growth) and three passes was overall pretty good, but still a bit under my chin, which is always tough to get right, my my trouble spot on one side of my neck where is growths sideways, away from center. Overall a good shave but just short of BBS. So at least I tried plate 1 and I suspect it will see little to no future use.

With 1 day growth plate 2 was acceptable. Plate 3 with one day growth is significantly better.

With 2 days growth plate 3 did very well, as with plate 4. Using plate 5 and plate 2 for final pass also did very well. I did not want to try plate 5 for the third pass but will try in a future shave.

Overall thoughts, for my beard plate 3 is great for one day growth. Plate 3 or 4 is great for 2 day growth. Future test shaves will determine if plate 3 or 4 is optimal for 2 day growth. Also, when using plate 3 or 4 there is no need to swap plates for final pass. When using plate 5 it seemed a milder plate was merited for 3rd pass, and at some point I may try just plate 5 all the way but I think it will be too rough on my neck. For three or more days growth plate 4, 5 or 6 might be the right so at some point I will try these plates on 3, 4, or 5 days growth. But I generally shave every 2 days, and rarely go past 3 days. Bottom line plates 3 and 4 for one or two days growth will likely be my sweet spot.

The Rockwell 6C is a keeper and replaces my Muhle R89 and Merkur 37C slant and is versatile enough to be all the razor I need for 1 day or several days growth. The razor itself is beautiful to look at. However, I have a slight itch to scratch. Since this is proving to be all only razor I need, part of me wants to return it and buy the 6S. Not as pretty but a lifetime razor. Of course the 6C does include a lifetime warranty.

8F01642C-7C05-4411-8F46-7E293146FAE2.jpeg

I have officially joined the club with the 6C in white chrome. So far I have had nine shaves and am very pleased. I have tried three different blades, Perma Sharp, Nacet, and Astra SP for three shaves each. My test shaves with plate (combo) where as follows..

3 days: 4 and 2 plate
3 days: 4
2 days: 5 and 2
2 days: 4
2 days: 3
2 days: 1
1 day: 3 and 1
1 day: 3
1 day: 2

Comments so far….
1 day shave with plates 3 and 1, I did not feel the final pass with plate 1, and was not sure it was doing anything. Then I watched a Kevy Shaves video where he was challenged to do a shave with plate 1 only. Three passes and BBS. My try with plate 1 only (2 days growth) and three passes was overall pretty good, but still a bit under my chin, which is always tough to get right, my my trouble spot on one side of my neck where is growths sideways, away from center. Overall a good shave but just short of BBS. So at least I tried plate 1 and I suspect it will see little to no future use.

With 1 day growth plate 2 was acceptable. Plate 3 with one day growth is significantly better.

With 2 days growth plate 3 did very well, as with plate 4. Using plate 5 and plate 2 for final pass also did very well. I did not want to try plate 5 for the third pass but will try in a future shave.

Overall thoughts, for my beard plate 3 is great for one day growth. Plate 3 or 4 is great for 2 day growth. Future test shaves will determine if plate 3 or 4 is optimal for 2 day growth. Also, when using plate 3 or 4 there is no need to swap plates for final pass. When using plate 5 it seemed a milder plate was merited for 3rd pass, and at some point I may try just plate 5 all the way but I think it will be too rough on my neck. For three or more days growth plate 4, 5 or 6 might be the right so at some point I will try these plates on 3, 4, or 5 days growth. But I generally shave every 2 days, and rarely go past 3 days. Bottom line plates 3 and 4 for one or two days growth will likely be my sweet spot.

The Rockwell 6C is a keeper and replaces my Muhle R89 and Merkur 37C slant and is versatile enough to be all the razor I need for 1 day or several days growth. The razor itself is beautiful to look at. However, I have a slight itch to scratch. Since this is proving to be all only razor I need, part of me wants to return it and buy the 6S. Not as pretty but a lifetime razor. Of course the 6C does include a lifetime warranty.

View attachment 1706220
Great report on a great razor. It’s fun playing around with the plates.

I joined the Rockwell club today. 6C with the Rockwell blade and number 3 plate. I used the Rockwell Barber Shop shaving cream. I am returning to wet shaving after many years off due to growing a beard. I returned a few weeks ago, with a Henson mild and Leaf Twig razor. I will say that the number 3 plate shows a ton more blade than the Henson. Much more blade feedback with the Rockwell 6C and #3 plate. I got an excellent shave this morning. I did pass the Henson to my 19 year old son who shaved his first wet shave last night with the Henson. He has much technique to learn as he is very new to this. The Rockwell would have sliced him all up with his technique. As for me, I had an enjoyable shave and look forward to more shaves with the Rockwell. I did get a weeper due to me going ATG on the neck to get a closer shave. The neck for me, like many, is a problem area. I got too greedy trying to get BBS shave on the neck, I did achieve a BBS on the cheeks today. All in all a good shave. I may even shave tomorrow, I usually skip Friday and Saturday to give the face a rest. I am not sure that is even needed. Giving the face a rest. Chime in with experiences.

Great report on a great razor. It’s fun playing around with the plates.
Yes, it is fun playing with plates. Now I am playing with blade and plate combos. The first shaves used Nacet and Perma Sharp, my go to blades, so were the best to test. Now for my last two shaves I stepped it up a notch by using my Feather blades. I used a new feather on plate 4 for a 2 day shave, then (same blade) tried plate 3 for another 2 day shave. Both did an outstanding job with essentially identical results. However, the plate 4 with the new feather did give me a few weepers. Now ready to blame the weepers on the combo, I may have pressed a bit too hard, so more shaves needed. Soon I will do some shaves with my Kai blades. Kai’s are pretty much as sharp as Feather but a hair wider, 1/1000” so a Kai blade might make plate 1 or 2 more useful. It is a lot more economical to play with blade and plate combos than to play with blade and new razors.

Reactions: cf1
Top Bottom